Advice on warranty?

pengipete

Rising Star
I'm gutted (understatement of the year) - my PC has a serious problem and if it needs repairs, I'm worried that I'll not be covered by the warranty.

I decided to re-seat the cooler on my PC - cleaned off the old TIM and replaced with MX-2 paste - refitted the heatsink & fan - reassambled everything, checked cables - everything back as it was. It's nothing I haven't done before and and I'm careful - wrist strap, clean desktop to work on etc.

Switched on and no post - all lights on, fans spinning, power to drives etc - but no beep and nothing on the screen.

The MemOK! light (a feature on this motherboard that allows the board to auto-configure RAM to get you into BIOS) was lit-up so I held the button (as instructed in the manual) and it still fails to POST - the MemOK light stays a steady red. I've reset CMOS - and tried removing the CMOS cell but still no post. I've tried with a single stick of RAM - tried each of the three sticks in each of the six slots but still no joy. There's clearly no shorts as all fans are spinning, lights on etc. I've double-checked every connection and stripped down to bare minimum but nothing will get it to post.

I've tried everything I can think if and checked every forum I know and I'm pretty sure that the motherboard has failed.

If I can't get it working by myself and it isn't covered by the warranty as a result of anything I've done, I'll not be able to afford a replacement motherboard so I'm really stressed.

If anyone has any suggestions about fixing the problem - please let me know and if the mods or anyone else knows for certain how I stand with regards the warranty, I'd appreciate hearing - even if it's bad news.

Thanks in advance...

Gorman

Author Level
Hi Pengipete, quick diagnostic question, what happens if you boot with no ram? if you get the beeps then its unlikely to be a motherboard failiure. Can you pm me your order number please.

pengipete

Rising Star
No beeps - tried without ram and without graphics card to see if I could get any error beeps.

I'm pm'ing my order number - thanks.

PokerFace

Banned
if the mods or anyone else knows for certain how I stand with regards the warranty, I'd appreciate hearing - even if it's bad news.

Thanks in advance...

Well if it was up to me, pengipete's PC would definitely be covered under warranty. Considering the fantastic advice he gives (not to mention his time) on this forum, he would get a free pc or upgrades whenever he wanted...even if the warranty had expired!

I honestly can't see pengipete doing anything to harm the pc, not with his knowledge.

Keep us informed mate, and I hope it's sorted soon.

Gorman

Author Level
Well if it was up to me, pengipete's PC would definitely be covered under warranty. Considering the fantastic advice he gives (not to mention his time) on this forum, he would get a free pc or upgrades whenever he wanted...even if the warranty had expired!

I honestly can't see pengipete doing anything to harm the pc, not with his knowledge.

Keep us informed mate, and I hope it's sorted soon.

Dont worry, you arnt the only fan he has, we will get it sorted.

pengipete

Rising Star
I should have posted an update - my bad.

I received an email from PCS support this afternoon. They'll be arranging to collect the PC so they can test it and we'll see where we go from there. Gorman was a huge help - I'm in his debt.

Pokerface...

I've really only been posting for a couple of months and it's just luck that a batch of problems came up that I was able to help with. A couple of months from now, there'll be people who are able to give better answers to many questions because they'll have practical experience of the newer CPUs and motherboards that PCS customers will be buying. Many of the more generalised problems won't change but the more specific ones will need answers that others will be better be qualified to provide. The great thing is that the same people asking basic questions today will be the ones giving the knowledgable answers to other members in the near future.

PokerFace

Banned
The great thing is that the same people asking basic questions today will be the ones giving the knowledgable answers to other members in the near future.

I dare say...but I'd better stick to the 'asking' for now :helpsmilie:

Let us know how you get on..

pengipete

Rising Star
Got my PC back today - motherboard was replaced and she's back to normal.

MisterDave took care of the technical side of checking and replacing the board - thanks MisterD.

I can't even begin to describe how much Gorman has helped. Without going into detail, I'm housebound and unable to use the telephone which means that dealing with this directly would have been very difficult. As soon as I started this thread, Gorman contacted me and offered to take care of everything. As well as handling all of the arrangments, he's been emailing me with information and updates the whole time. What's incredible is that Gorman is not even involved in customer service at PCS - he's done all of this off his own back just to help someone who posts on the forum.

To say that I'm grateful would be a huge understatement. Suffice to say that if it wasn't for Gorman, I'd be sitting here staring at a dead computer and feeling pretty bad about myself for not being able to sort it out.

Thanks Gorman.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Just a thought pengipete,I was testing the continuity of a monitor lead one day when I decided to check my wrist strap which was lying on the the worktop & discovered the connection was broken at one end,long shot I know, but worth a check.

Freeley

Just picked up on this thread - glad you got your pc sorted pengi and well done again to PCS for their top notch customer service.
If anybody deserves the red carpet treatment it's pengipete who's been very generous with their time and knowledge to me.

Ahem....may have another problem i could do with a bit of help with :D