Alternative case

Tweenie

I am told that the computer I have ordered is in production but that the Fractal Define 7 case that was apparently available when I chose my components is no longer available and no delivery date is in sight. he height of my desktop is limited to 490 cm so the choice of an alternative case is also limited. Would the PCS SR-620C case be a good alternative. I noticed that only one fan is provided as standard so will order two extra 120 fans to be added. Sadly there can be no provision for the DVD player but an external player should suffice.
Would this be a good move? The computer will be used for photo editing and desktop publishing rather than gaming.
Thanks in anticipation.
John

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If your PC is in production they must be building it in the case you ordered, they wouldn't build it in any case, so something don't sound right here

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hi there, probably best to start from scratch and provide some detail about your build. Always best to get advice on the build as a whole as many customers tend to be out of sync with current trends.

In short, it's highly unlikely the case would be of any use for your system. The PCS cases should be reserved for the lowest level of system where airflow and internal temperature isn't a concern.

If you would like some assistance with your build then share some information about it and your uses. There's a helpful sticky thread below that guides you through what we would need along with links to various sources of information on the "why's" on our suggestions.

fenderman

I suspect that the OP means pre-production which is where mine is currently languishing. I had also spec'd a Fractal Define 7 case and have been told the same thing ie. out of stock and might be coming in May but no guarantees. So I'm rethinking my case choices

The one thing that I notice is that you say that your desktop height is limited to 490mm but the Fractal case is 547mm high so would have been too tall anyway. *** - Correction - Google mislead me - the Fractal website says that it is 475mm high, Tom's Hardware says 547mm - Confused now but I have to think that the manufacturers website would be right

Just noticed that you put 490cm which is a little unlikely as that would make it 15 feet high. You'd need a tall chair :)

Last edited:

Tweenie

Thank you Fenderman, I have clearly yet to get to grips with these new fangled metric units; call it 19 inches.
My desk essentially provides a tunnel into which the `desktop' locates, hence the height limit and the need for USB ports etc to be near the front.
Scott suggests that I post details of my monitor, an AOC U2879VF (3840x2160) and budget, say £1800. I mention the uses above.
Currently I have chosen: Case - Fractal Define 7; Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; Motherboard - ASUS Prime B550-Plus; Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz; Graphics card - 12GB NVIDIA GEOFORCE RTX 3060; Storage - 1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5 SSD, SATA 6GBs; External drive - 2TB Seagate One Touch HDD; Power supply - Corsair 550W TXm; standard cooling,Windows 10 Home, Office Home and Student and browser Firefox.
I have looked at most of the alternative cases on offer and thought that the PCS case looked to be the most likely alternative; perhaps I will just have to wait. I find it strange that the PCS system allows one to choose a case, or any other item, that is out of stock. Luckily my old laptop has stepped into the breach.

Tweenie

I did post an earlier thread on `Alternative case'. With the Fractal Define 7 case not currently available I plan to opt for the Corsair 500D Airflow.
Now I am told that my build will be held up by the non availability of the RTX 3060 graphics card that I had planned to use. Both the fractal case and the RTX 3060 appeared to be available when I made my original choice some ten days ago.
My question now is should I switch to ordering the 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Super as the next best card currently offered? As I mentioned in the earlier thread, where I also posted details of my order and monitor to be used, I will only be using the computer for photo editing and desktop publishing, not gaming.
Your advice would be appreciated.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The ,AMD rx 6700 XT has just been released which is a similar card to the 3060 and cheaper

Tweenie

Thanks.When I chose that card the quoted price was plus £40.
My question stands, would the GTX 1660 meet my modest needs?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok, now we've got both posts in the same place can you post your spec including the configuration link as described in this linked thread

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
and take a read of this as well