Another computer thread

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
Hi what do you guys think of the following spec purely for gaming. Have been happy with AMD/ATI in the past so I thought would stick with them. This is about my 6th computer so not completely new to them but as things move so fast someone might have a better idea

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 (3.40GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M4A79XTD EVO: DUAL DDR3, S-ATA II, 2 x PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 2 x PCI
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
2GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5970 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
150GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR® SATA 3-Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
800W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£89)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Gamer (£68)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,402.00 including VAT and delivery.

Sleinous

Author Level
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

Hoorah! I love it when people chose one of the 2 best HDDs on teh website (hardly anymore than the 8MB cached versions). Btw, Gorman, I beat you to it this time :p

Yes, GPU is fine, obviously i'm more for Nvidia, but if you prefer ATI, that's fine :D You could always buy a cheap Nvid card for Physx should you wish to one day. Obviously it goes without saying that you have the world's fastest gaming graphics to date in there. (Not for long though so relish in that while you still can :D)

Good choice on the warranty, also consider whether you need water-cooling. Will you be doing some serious OC'ing?

Last edited:

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
No have never gone down the overclocking route. If cooling is over the top would save me some money. About the fastest graphics it is sad when you pay out for a new computer and within a couple of months there is something else out there bigger and faster.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great spec you've put together there :)

Well balanced and includes the best gaming card on the market.

Sleinous

Author Level
No have never gone down the overclocking route. If cooling is over the top would save me some money. About the fastest graphics it is sad when you pay out for a new computer and within a couple of months there is something else out there bigger and faster.

That's how the cookie crumbles and yes, the cooling is a little ott, although I guess you could hook the 5970 up to this system somehow? Possibly an advantage? Not sure though.

Gorman

Author Level
That's how the cookie crumbles and yes, the cooling is a little ott, although I guess you could hook the 5970 up to this system somehow? Possibly an advantage? Not sure though.

Self contained unit, at the moment its not possible.

You could easily get away with an air cooler if your keeping stock clocks.

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
Would there be any benefit in getting the ASUS M4A89td Motherboard. It is considerably more expensive but does it further future proof my computer.If of course it is possible to future proof

Meds

The main benefits of upgrading are that the M4A89TD has USB 3.0 Ports & SATA III (6GB/s) HDD connections. Apart from this, the rest of the features are pretty similar.