Any interesting hobbies?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
oh I know you weren’t lol.

Back in 1980’s before fully digital systems came in to play, we had aircraft computers using synchros.

These would from time to time get ‘stuck’ so on a number of occasions an aircraft rubber chock was used to ‘unstick’ the offending computer, the joys of analogue computers lol.

My father spent 22 years in comms in the RAF, he’d absolutely love this conversation 🙂

(My own experience of valves is limited to guitar amplifiers. They just sound so much warmer and primal than a solid state amp.)

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
After spending far too many years in engine rooms of frigates, sat next to screaming Gas Turbines with little or no ear protection (90's elf n safety didnt really account for much in the Royal Navy), I havent got the best hearing to appreciate vinyl, but I do love music.

Earliest memory of it, was sat with my dad listening to War of the Worlds at max chat, sent shivers up your spine. Still listen to it now but it hasnt got the same "Earthy" feeling (if thats a term, prob just made it up) on Spotify.

Nowt wrong with whacking delicate electronic equipment with a hammer, "fixed" many a contactor or relay box with a good thump. "If a hammer can't fix it, then it's proper broke" was a common phase used in our Engineering Branch.

Glad me digging this thread out of the grave has sparked new life 🤣 🤣

Stephen M

Author Level
Valve amps are great and there was a lot of variety of sound. One of my favourites was a Vox AC30, it had a quite dirty sound which was great for Blues and Rock.

Music is my main interest and I do really like Blu Ray as, unlike CDs, you can here the full sound. try listening to an orchestral piece with a quiet pizzicato passage on CD and then compare with Blu Ray, the difference is amazing.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Valve amps are great and there was a lot of variety of sound. One of my favourites was a Vox AC30, it had a quite dirty sound which was great for Blues and Rock.

Music is my main interest and I do really like Blu Ray as, unlike CDs, you can here the full sound. try listening to an orchestral piece with a quiet pizzicato passage on CD and then compare with Blu Ray, the difference is amazing.

As a total Beatlemaniac, the Vox AC30 was an essential acquisition for me when I started earning. The problem was that in order to truly get the best sound out of a valve amp you’ve got to crank it up and that model is LOUD. I, unlike the Beatles, didn’t have thousands of screaming girls to drown out the sound so I ended up going for the AC15. Even that model can still make your ears bleed, my neighbours must have hated me 😶

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Interesting you should say that, I remember having:

At the end of the Rainbow - Keith Harris, Orville & Cuddles
Party Party - Black Lace
Colour by Numbers - Culture Club

As well as an ET Disneyland Vinyl something or other haha.

They weren't all winners of course. My Dad had a decent collection and I always loved the early Now Vinyl albums :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Interesting you should say that, I remember having:

At the end of the Rainbow - Keith Harris, Orville & Cuddles
Party Party - Black Lace
Colour by Numbers - Culture Club

As well as an ET Disneyland Vinyl something or other haha.

They weren't all winners of course. My Dad had a decent collection and I always loved the early Now Vinyl albums :D
I've got some classic kids stuff:

The Muppets - Mahna Mahna
Paul McArtney - We all Stand Together (The Frog Chorus from Rupert the Bear)
Kermit the Frog - The Rainbow Connection (particularly proud of this one, had to hunt for it)
And some Disney ones on both Picture discs and normal black vinyl
The Jungle Book
Frozen
Aladdin
Lion King

I'd love to say it was to play for my neices and nephews when they visit, but that's not entirely accurate! I do think Rainbow Connection is a real achievement in musical history.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I had the Jungle Book. I'm pretty sure I had the Muppet Show as well, but I don't recognise the cover after a quick google. I have it in my head that it was Kermit with a Top Hat that I had :unsure:

I had a Disney Album too, I think it was The Best of Disney..... and Pinocchio IIRC.

I'm hoping they all still exist in my Dads loft. They were definitely there the last time I looked (20 years ago) but he does have a tendency to clear old stuff out :eek:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had the Jungle Book. I'm pretty sure I had the Muppet Show as well, but I don't recognise the cover after a quick google. I have it in my head that it was Kermit with a Top Hat that I had :unsure:

I had a Disney Album too, I think it was The Best of Disney..... and Pinocchio IIRC.

I'm hoping they all still exist in my Dads loft. They were definitely there the last time I looked (20 years ago) but he does have a tendency to clear old stuff out :eek:
You should take a look and rescue them if they're still there. Even if you don't decide to keep them, you can value them on www.discogs.com to find out if they're worth anything.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You should take a look and rescue them if they're still there. Even if you don't decide to keep them, you can value them on www.discogs.com to find out if they're worth anything.

I'm a bit of a nostalgia hoarder. Anything I found that I related to I would keep to be honest. I tend not to throw things out or sell them :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm a bit of a nostalgia hoarder. Anything I found that I related to I would keep to be honest. I tend not to throw things out or sell them :D
That's exactly how I am, it's the personal value I relish, not financial. I kept all my folks old records that they gave me, have no interest in selling them at all.

Stephen M

Author Level
I have still got a couple of Lonnie Donegan records, 78rpm, plus a children's record: Spark's Magic Piano, a few classical ones as well. Must have been hard work listening to a complete symphony when you had to change discs and wind the player up about 10 times per movement.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
My old man had quite a few LP's but when the CD's were heralded as the "Best thing since sliced bread", my old dear lobbed everything out, some of them might have been worth saving I guess.

D

Deleted member 41971

My old man had quite a few LP's but when the CD's were heralded as the "Best thing since sliced bread", my old dear lobbed everything out, some of them might have been worth saving I guess.

ironically Vinyl is now actually more popular than CDs,

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I'm a bit weird, hear me out lol.

My musical tastes are never fixed in one genre for long and I like it when people push the barriers or break the mold.

Came across Prime Orchestra today and love it, obviously helps when most of the string section are very easy on the eye 🤗

Those with excellent sound setups might want to crank some of their stuff up loud (with She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) permission of course!)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Saw them a little while back, other than the ending which is a bit cheesy this is a fantastic listen. Similar to your post it requires some vol11 where allowed :D

Would be something else live (helps that I'm a huge Prodigy fan)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Speaking of new music, a guy at work recommended this guy to me yesterday, Rap artist, I'm not hugely into rap, but I do love Eminem, Coolio, Flobots, Macklemore and some others, it's the lyrics and the way they gel that gets me, I find it incredibly clever as well as entertaining.

This guy has a very classic sound, like late mid to late 90's style and he's very accomplished, he's called Jarv and has a couple of homegrown albums out, I hope he goes far:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm a bit weird, hear me out lol.

My musical tastes are never fixed in one genre for long and I like it when people push the barriers or break the mold.

Came across Prime Orchestra today and love it, obviously helps when most of the string section are very easy on the eye 🤗

Those with excellent sound setups might want to crank some of their stuff up loud (with She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) permission of course!)

Saw them a little while back, other than the ending which is a bit cheesy this is a fantastic listen. Similar to your post it requires some vol11 where allowed :D

Would be something else live (helps that I'm a huge Prodigy fan)

Oh, man they're both superb.... the older I get the more I'm really loving acoustic or orchestral arrangements of some of the classics, and so many people are doing it now.

Those are really great, will be looking out for some pressings!

I wasn't prepared for the prodigy one, I was thinking, what's this got to do with prodigy.... and then, bam!