Arrived - but troubles

nilgou

The computer i ordered arrived today, and it seems to work fine and I am so happy, looks wise it is nothing special, but when I have everything set up to my liking I will probably take pics and post them.

My order was:

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2400 Quad Core (3.10GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8H67-M LX SI (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 2.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2 x PCI
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD5870 - 2 DVI,HDMI,DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 3 ***SPECIAL OFFER***
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£49)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1155/1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
2 x 2 METRE DVI-D CABLE (£9)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Miscellaneous
FREE Total War Shogun™ 2 with any AMD® Radeon™ Graphics card!
Quantity

The one trouble I am having is that I am having trouble setting up a Dual Monitor setup.

I have 2 vga monitors that i wanted to use. (I probably should have looked into this when ordering)

The ports I have available are a vga, dvi-d, dvi-i and an HDMI (i think anyway I'm not too certain) now dvi-d and HDMI are down where I assume the graphics card is (i would prefer not to open up the case if at all possible) but the vga and the dvi-i are higher up on the case and vertical instead of horizontal. Now I managed to get one monitor working in the dvi-d using the adapater in the welcome pack, i have a couple other dvi-d to vga converters. I tried plugging the other monitor into the vga slot (not entirely why that is there to be honest,) but the pc could not detect the monitor, I also tried using the hdmi to dvi-d converter supplied in the welcome pack, to a dvi-d to vga converter to the monitor (i did not have much hope of that working and I was right). Is there anyway I can get this set up running with just vga monitors?

Teaz

Godlike
if one monitor is working then to get the other working you will need to right click and click screen resolution and then adjust it from there :)

Fear

Prolific Poster
You need to use both the monitors plugged into the GPU at the bottom the connections higher up are for onboard graphics on the motherboard and this will have been disabled reason why it is not working (someone please correct me if i am wrong)

Teaz

Godlike
The connection from the motherboard should be linked to the other connections like USBs.

Connect it to the gpu. The back of your 5870 gpu connection should look like this as I dont know which make is your card.

ATI_radeon5870.jpg

Dont plug it into these connections on your motherboard as they should be disabled and shouldnt provide a connection:
1_big.jpg

nilgou

yeh, i thought that might be the case, i am a little confused as i though the card i was getting had 2 dvis and there looks to be only one.

Fear

Prolific Poster
For the model you have i looked up a couple of reviews for it and even though they state on the reviews that there are 2 dvi ports on the pictures there is only 1 X DVI 1 X HDMI and 1 X other connection (forgotten what it was)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Your graphics card Is the same as mine,It has 1 DVI-I/1 HDMI & 1 display port.(needed for eyefinity)
If you only have VGA connections on your monitors,you will need one DVI-A to VGA adaptor,these are pretty cheap,but you have one supplied anyway.(DVI-D to VGA wont work as DVI-D Is digital only)
The hdmi to vga is a different story,you will need an hdmi to vga converter,as hdmi is digital only & vga Is analog & they don't come cheap,maybe £50 plus for a decent one.
Don't buy any of the cheap ones on the market,they wont work.
Pity you didn't get GPU with two DVI ports.

Last edited:

nilgou

well the problem is solved now, and at a cheaper cost that buying a HDMI to vga signal converter, i used a display port to vga adapater and it works fine

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Glad your sorted,I thought the display port adaptors were just as expensive as HDMI,my bad.

Last edited: