Audio through HDMI from PC to TV

DuaneK

Hi
Searched the internet and looked at nvidia website but cant seem to get a definitive answer so thought I'd come back to where i bought the PC!

I have a desktop PC which uses nvidia geforce 9800gt graphics card. I want to connect PC to my HDTV via hdmi and get audio as well as picture (I can get the picture fine)

I can't get audio coming through TV speakers. In the sound playback there is only Realtek hdmi options but this hasn't worked setting these as default. I though my Samsung TV would have shown as a sound option here but it doesn't!

Does anyone know if the geforce 9800gt supports audio and any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or what I can try. Updated the graphics card to the latest driver but still no luck!

Thanks, Duane

adahil

Gold Level Poster
I'm not sure on your exact GPU but here is how I do it on mine....

Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices.

Hopefully your tv should appear if it is plugged in, then set that as the default audio output.

Good luck!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
With older graphics cards like the NVIDIA 9000 series, to get audio over the HDMI connection, you need to connect the card to the 2-pin SPDIF header located on the motherboard. This will carry audio signals from the motherboard to the GPU, which can then output the signal via HDMI.

Fear

Prolific Poster
As far as i know the 9800GT only has 2 DVI ports and i think an s-video port if so the only way it would carry sound is on the s-video port, i am guessing you are using a DVI-HDMI adapter so you will need to get a seperate cable to connect your sound output from the motherboard/soundcard whichever you have to the TV providing your TV has a sound input port.

stearman65

Bronze Level Poster
I have a 3 year old Panasonic 32 inch TV & when I tried to connect my Custom build PC (Not PCS) I had the devils own job getting a picture through HDMI, I eventually got a picture but never have got sound this was an Nvidia card, It also has a separate sound card with an HDMI connection. I recently bought a new lap top from PCS, connected it to the TV & bingo sound & picture, the card is a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M. While I was messing around trying to get my PC to perform I found some HDMI leads are not fully wired, long shot, check yours is.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
A DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an internal SPDIF cable to carry digital audio output was supplied with the retail versions of the Nvidia 9800 graphics cards for what the OP is trying to do,so it is possible.

Fear

Prolific Poster
A DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an internal SPDIF cable to carry digital audio output was supplied with the retail versions of the Nvidia 9800 graphics cards for what the OP is trying to do,so it is possible.

I did not think the adapter would work with carrying the sound must be my new bit of info for the day ;)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I did not think the adapter would work with carrying the sound must be my new bit of info for the day ;)
A DVI to HDMI adaptor was indeed made available a few years ago
to enable the transfer of audio,it never quite caught on though.:)

Last edited:

DuaneK

Thanks for responses
I've tried in the audio devices but the TV doesn't appear as a source
I'll have a look at connecting the card to the 2-pin SPDIF.

On a note: The card has a vga, dvi and an hdmi port.

Thanks

baron75mk2

Banned
hi there i have had this issue with realtek on board sound cards a few times in the past with older GPUs in off the shelf PCs im currently runing an nvidia 8400gs in combination with the realtek onboard hd audio.
the poster that mentioned connecting the two pin header from mobo to GPU is definately right as on this hp pc im using (while i wait for my build to arrive) if the header is not connected , i will lose the audio from hdmi , & also strangely from the onboard SPDIF as well , the only thing that will work is analogue audio ( dont have a clue why the onboard SPDIF would cut off but it does),

So do what this poster reccomended by connecting the spdif header on mobo to the one on the gpu Is right. (if the gpu does in fact have one on it , not all do , ususally ones supplied with off the shelf pcs & are not available retail ( like mine , you could get an 8400gs retail but this one in mines a completely different desighn to any others i have seen anywhere else)
but if the header is in fact there on the gpu , connect it to the header on the mobo & make sure HD audio is enabled on the mobo as well in the bios,
then connect your HDMI & go in to the audio section of your pc & DO NOT LOOK FOR YOUR TV IN THERE AS IT WONT BE LISTED , you only get this option with later NVIDIA & RADEON cards as they have the audio chip on the Graphics card its self & dont require the onboard audio in any way to function properly , they are stand alone soundcards intigrated into the graphics card (nvidia or radeon)

Look for REALTEK HDMI OUTPUT & enable it as the default sound device , this will put the audio out trough the HDMI on your grapics card
( these older cards did not have audio chips on them so the realtek is routed through them.)

Now if there is no header on the GPU to connect to the SPDIF header on the MOBO , then there is nothing you can do apart from buying a newer RADEON Or NVIDIA graphics card (that has the audio chip on the card its self) & will show up as your tv ie NVIDIA high definition audo - Sony XV TV in my case)

Note : even in this case not all cards will output HDMI audio from the DVI socket , only the actual HDMI socket , My NVIDIA GTX-580 did do it , but My Radeon HD5850 did not & only put it out through the HDMI.

Edit: sorry i should have read your post more carefully , i noticed you do in fact have Realtek HDMI audio in conrol panel & have tried it to no avial
(on my pc if the header is not connected this option is not even there so i would think it is in fact connected but check it anyway to be sure).
make sure you have not set the output options to a sample rate your tv does not support
(Try 44KHz - 2 channel stereo , cd quality audio) all tvs accept this sample rate through HDMI.

also have a look through your tvs settings to make sure its not set to audio system or something similar ( on mine if its set to audio system in audio out properties it wont put any sound out through the tv speakers.
( i really cant advise on samsung as i have never owned one).

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: