Basic Laptop for home use

anisin

Hi guys! Just wanted to hear your expert views on this configuration for a basic laptop for home use by two silver surfers. We don't do gaming -- Just lots of open websites, googles,amazons, Facebooks, lots of emails, some family pictures to edit & send out to family, some streaming information, no downloading of films etc. is planned. We aim to buy something that lasts a few years but don't wish to put together unnecessarily expensive components. The laptop is intended to be a desktop substitute --amd we do need the big screen, definitely!! Thanks.

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2620M (2.70GHz) 4MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 2GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD (STANDARD)
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor
2 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor (£16)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £885.00 including VAT and delivery.

Fear

Prolific Poster
Nice spec well above what you need if your happy spending that amount the only thing i would change is the ram to 4GB of Samsung 1333MHz you will not notice the difference and it will drop the price to £852

Nemesis

Id second fears advice on the RAM
however if you arent gaming then maybe a different spec might be more suitable for you (One without a dedicated graphics card)
Saying that i realize that this is the cheapest chassis with a 17inch screen so forget what i just said :p

So anyways yeh thats a good spec and i hope it arrives in good time and you get a good experience from it :)

Meds

If it's just for web browsing, photos and the odd film then why not consider the Genesis III or Enigma III SE. I think these would be better suited to your requirements and are also cheaper - bonus!

Genesis III

Enigma III SE

Nemesis

Maybe you could get one of the laptops Meds mentioned and buy an external monitor as well

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
If screen size is one of the issues, i'd go for a decent laptop and external screen any day. At work for check-in, we use laptops so they can be moved out of the unsecure check in building over night, and a 19" screen so the lovely people that do check in dont need a magnifying glass to see the text :D

I think you get better "bang for your buck" as it were with a smaller screen, as sometimes i swear when you get a larger screened laptop, you pay over the odds for the screen (not PCS price, just what the thing costs!)

DED

PS I know nothing