BSOD

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
I just got another BSOD. This time the stop code was `MEMORY_MANAGEMENT`.

Memory dump and event logs attached here:
If anyone who actually works for PCS is listening, this is frankly unacceptable. I've paid a lot of money for this new machine, and it's faulty. I get that sometimes there are faulty parts, but (a) I expected a full system check to have been done before it left the warehouse, and (b) I am not pleased to have been left to sort this out on my own.

Thanks very much to the volunteers who are helping me to solve the problem - I really appreciate it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I just got another BSOD. This time the stop code was `MEMORY_MANAGEMENT`.

Memory dump and event logs attached here:
If anyone who actually works for PCS is listening, this is frankly unacceptable. I've paid a lot of money for this new machine, and it's faulty. I get that sometimes there are faulty parts, but (a) I expected a full system check to have been done before it left the warehouse, and (b) I am not pleased to have been left to sort this out on my own.

Thanks very much to the volunteers who are helping me to solve the problem - I really appreciate it.
There is nothing of any interest in your logs.

The kernel dump is a common stop code; MEMORY_MANAGEMENT which is almost always a driver - even though it looks like a hardware issue. In this case the process in control at the time of the error was Dorfromantik Demo.exe, which seems to be a demo for a game. In the list of driver calls made by the active thread we again see an error for the Nvidia graphics driver nvlddmkm.sys...

Code:
ffff8007`60adc548  fffff803`55f6052d Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvrfi.inf_amd64_0da9e25cd8a1ccb0\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
 nvlddmkm+0x1c052d

Since this is the second time you've had this BSOD I looked a bit deeper and there are two potential problem areas I can see:

In the list of modules that you have loaded is nvvad64v.sys, this is the Nvidia Audio driver and we already know from others that this driver causes conflicts with the Realtek audio driver (RTKVHD64.sys) which you have installed. I would suggest that you uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver using DDU (it will reboot) and then reinstall the latest Nvidia driver (downloaded only from the Nvidia website) making sure NOT to select the Nvidia Audio Driver component.

In addition, I can see that you have Bullguard installed. We know from long experience that Bullguard causes all sorts of niggly issues - I debugged a couple of Bullguard assisted BSODs not too long ago. I would STRONGLY recommend that you uninstall Bullguard completely and use only Windows Defender. That really is all you need - and it's free!

See how things go with those two changes, I think you'll find that one (or both) are the likely cause of your issues. :)

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for looking into this again.

I have uninstalled Bullguard - it was only there as a free trial from PCS.

I have also reinstalled the driver direct from NVIDIA having used DDU. Last time I installed the driver I'm pretty sure I deselected the audio driver but I made sure of it this time.

But I've just got another BSOD, this time with stop code `KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION`. I'll upload a memory dump when I can.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
Was chatting to a friend last night who said that perhaps the graphics card itself has a loose connection somewhere, so I might have a go at reseating it later today.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Was chatting to a friend last night who said that perhaps the graphics card itself has a loose connection somewhere, so I might have a go at reseating it later today.
It is a good idea to ensure your graphics card is properly seated, we did suggest that early on - along with reseating your RAM. I still get no indication however that your problems are hardware related. I'm downloading your latest kernel dump now, but the stop code is almost certainly a software (ie. driver) issue.

Whilst waiting for me to look at the kernel dump could you please check on the AMD driver support site for updated chipset drivers for your CPU.

Do you ever use a registry cleaner or tune-up tools?

Do you install the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website only?

Have you manually installed any other drivers (apart from the Nvidia one)?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The failing driver in this new dump is the Nvidia graphics driver again...

Code:
ffffa807`d91b53b8  fffff801`6682052d Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvrfi.inf_amd64_0da9e25cd8a1ccb0\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
 nvlddmkm+0x1c052d

...and I note that the failing address (fffff801`6682052d) is the same in both recent dumps. This smells very much like a driver issue, though perhaps not in the Nvidia driver itself.

I think that we've got to the point where a clean install of Windows from bootable media is required.

You can make a bootable USB stick with the latest installable version of Windows here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot that USB stick and select a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on your system drive (there are 4) so that all the space shows as 'unallocated space'
Highlight the 'unallocated space' and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows.
Run through the Windows setup carefully making sure you understand the implications of each choice.
Then run Windows Update repeatedly - even across reboots - until no more updates are found.
Then install the latest Nvidia graphics driver downloaded only from the Nvidia website.

You will then have a pristine operating system platform. See whether you can make it fail in that state.
Install any other software one at a time and test thoroughly after each one.

If you get BSODs in this state then we would start to suspect hardware.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
OK, that sounds like a good plan. As I only got this PC last week I don't mind a complete reinstall of Windows. I'll get started on that later today.

In answer to some of your other questions ...

It is a good idea to ensure your graphics card is properly seated, we did suggest that early on
Apologies - I must have missed that before. I'll do that as well.
Whilst waiting for me to look at the kernel dump could you please check on the AMD driver support site for updated chipset drivers for your CPU.
How would I know which version I currently have installed? I believe the latest version I would need would be https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550 (v2.13.27.501) but I don't know how to check what I currently have.
Do you ever use a registry cleaner or tune-up tools?
No.
Do you install the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website only?
Yes.
Have you manually installed any other drivers (apart from the Nvidia one)?
No. I installed a bunch of software, but I assume none of that included drivers. I could give you a list if it's possible that some of it contained drivers. Although as I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows, that will become moot.
Install any other software one at a time and test thoroughly after each one.
How do you suggest testing thoroughly? I guess since we know it's the graphics driver which has been causing problems I'm guessing some sort of graphics-heavy application, like a game or something?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK, that sounds like a good plan. As I only got this PC last week I don't mind a complete reinstall of Windows. I'll get started on that later today.

In answer to some of your other questions ...

Apologies - I must have missed that before. I'll do that as well.

How would I know which version I currently have installed? I believe the latest version I would need would be https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550 (v2.13.27.501) but I don't know how to check what I currently have.

No.

Yes.

No. I installed a bunch of software, but I assume none of that included drivers. I could give you a list if it's possible that some of it contained drivers. Although as I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows, that will become moot.

How do you suggest testing thoroughly? I guess since we know it's the graphics driver which has been causing problems I'm guessing some sort of graphics-heavy application, like a game or something?
Something like unigine heaven will stress the gpu:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's a good question to which I don't have a good answer. Not being an AMD user I have no idea how to check. Generally, if you try to install a back level driver you'll get a warning.

If you're planning to reinstall Windows it's probably not worth the bother, I'm reliably informed that Windows Update finds the necessary chipset drivers for AMD builds.
Indeed it will be moot. Lots of software includes drivers, all third party security products do for example - that's one reason they cause so many problems!
I gladly defer to @SpyderTracks on that, he has far more experience of stress testing than I do. All I would suggest is that after a clean install you install the minimum extra software that you need to stress test it.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the answers.

I haven't managed to do the reinstall of Windows yet, mainly because I don't have a large enough USB drive (going to buy one this evening). In the meantime I ran the benchmark tool for an hour or two and got another BSOD eventually. This after reseating the GPU.

This at least shows me that the problem still persists, and gives me an idea of how I can check if it has been fixed after reinstalling Windows.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the answers.

I haven't managed to do the reinstall of Windows yet, mainly because I don't have a large enough USB drive (going to buy one this evening). In the meantime I ran the benchmark tool for an hour or two and got another BSOD eventually. This after reseating the GPU.

This at least shows me that the problem still persists, and gives me an idea of how I can check if it has been fixed after reinstalling Windows.
Did that give any more dump files

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
Dump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oaYAGDyFNVOKXkLELZnFOxYzo4yScofj/view?usp=sharing
System event log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgDOohXDtCbcvPZ74IRyKrddWXEglN5u/view?usp=sharing
Application event log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O8pRCOyS6vs329JX8OQn_PqNrEQictYW/view?usp=sharing

Didn't manage to catch the stop code, as the BSOD happened when the screen was off.

I'll plough ahead with the Windows reinstall later and see whether I'm able to reproduce the problem afterwards.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
So I reinstalled Windows, and while it was downloading updates I got another BSOD with stop code `DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER`. I'll carry on with updates anyway.

Links to event logs and dump below, although I don't know whether it's worth investigating seeing as updates were downloading at the time.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
I've finished installing Windows updates and installed the latest nvidia driver from their website, and created a system restore point.

Now running Unigine Heaven and I'll leave it running this evening to see if the problem resurfaces.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well that didn't take long ...

After only 10-15 minutes I got another BSOD. Again, didn't see the stop code as I had turned the screen off, but see below for the logs and dump.

I've also just noticed that on Windows Update there are some "optional updates" that I could install. Could they be relevant?

Yes, you'll need to install the optional drivers as well, it's not configured until they're installed.