BSOD

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
OK, I've installed the optional drivers as well. Not sure if I had missed them before.

Now running Unigine Heaven again. It's been running fine for about 30 mins but it took a couple of hours last time to fault, so I'll leave it going for a while and see if I can reproduce the problem.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've got an nvidia graphics card so I don't think Ryzen Master can show me the graphics card temp. But the CPU is hitting around 45 deg C and according to Heaven the GPU is hitting 55 deg C tops.
That looks very healthy then.

Fingers crossed those driver updates have stabilised it.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
That looks very healthy then.

Fingers crossed those driver updates have stabilised it.
Hope so.

It's been going for over an hour now, and nothing has gone wrong. I'll have another go tomorrow - I can keep it whirring away while I'm working all day and see if I have any issues. If it goes a whole day without issues I'll be convinced the problem has been fixed but still a little sceptical!!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well that didn't take long ...

After only 10-15 minutes I got another BSOD. Again, didn't see the stop code as I had turned the screen off, but see below for the logs and dump.

I've also just noticed that on Windows Update there are some "optional updates" that I could install. Could they be relevant?

Sorry, late to the party this morning. ☺️

Yes, those optional updates are required, they're essential drivers (no idea why Windows Update labelled them as optional).

I'm downloading the dump you posted but I'll hold off analysing it because it's no longer relevant to the system you're running (you have those drivers installed). Please upload a new dump if you get one.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
No BSOD but Heaven crashed this morning: relevant event logs below. Is this something to be concerned about?

I've started it again and I'll keep it running for the rest of the morning.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
Heaven crashed again after about 10 minutes, and then at 9:33 I got a BSOD (didn't see the stop code).

Then at 9:36, while I was sorting out the memory dump to upload, I got another BSOD, this time with stop code `APC_INDEX_MISMATCH`.

Dumps are uploading now - will link here when I can.

At this point I'm going to call PCS - it would appear I need a replacement system.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
At this point I'm wondering whether there could be anything environmental going on. It's plugged into a reliable power source and sitting under my desk away from the radiator. Could anything like that be a problem?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

The dump file is the 09:33 one - the later one wouldn't upload to Google Drive for some reason ("file unreadable").
Ok. I'm downloading the kernel dump. There's nothing in your log entries, though it does show that the later dump (that one that wasn't captured) was a APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, along with the one I'm downloading (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA), they are almost always driver errors. I'll take a look in the dump but now we know you have a clean operating system and no other software installed it's looking more like a hardware problem now.

This is going to sound silly, but can you remove the M.2 SSD (after powering off of course) and reseat it fully. There are two reasons why I'm suggesting that; one is that we've had others have strange issues caused by an improperly seated M.2 SSD that was the system drive (and stuff can move in transit), but also because the only thing of note in your Application log are informational messages showing the ESENT service recovering from database errors and staring a new instance. ESENT is the indexing service that indexes your drives. Although these ESENT messages are not serious at all it did make me wonder about your system drive. It's worth reseating that M.2 drive anyway, it's easy to do and that's one less thing it could be.

Whilst typing that the kernel dump finished downloading...

The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA stop code means that code accessing a buffer that was supposed to have been allocated from a nonpgaeable pool has taken a page fault. The driver driver that appears to be at fault here is WdFilter.sys which is a component of Windows Defender.

Code:
fffff286`bbf22ba8  fffff803`58b1f50cUnable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wd\WdFilter.sys, Win32 error 0n2
WdFilter+0x3f50c

I don't think that necessarily points to a Defender problem however, it might just be Defender falling over because some other driver supplied a bad buffer pointer.

I would suggest you try reseating the M.2 drive and rerun Unigine again. If it BSODs again I would think that it's most likely a hardware issue, you've done all you can to eliminate software. I would call PCS (and suffer the long wait), point PCS at this thread and the dumps and ask their advice.

You might want to point PCS at this thread as well, this is another user I'm working with who has pretty much the same motherboard, same CPU and same RAM as you and who is also having curious BSODs. I'm now wondering whether there is some common underlying issue at work here? It might be worth asking PCS whether there is a BIOS update for your build...?

What version is your BIOS? Enter msinfo32 in the Run command box and in the resulting display your BIOS version and date is about a third the way down.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
OK, I've reseated the M.2 SSD, and running Unigine Heaven again. Will update here with what happens.

BIOS Version/Date is `American Megatrends Inc. 1802, 15/01/2021`.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
The computer shut down after 25 mins or so (didn't see a stop code as the screen was off), and then when it restarted it booted from the USB stick and tried to install Windows. Removing the USB stick and rebooting then gives me a screen saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". So it looks like it doesn't even think Windows is installed now.

Definitely going to phone PCS now - I suspect I have faulty hardware.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
OK, I spoke to PCS, and because it sounds like a problem with the graphics card they're going to send me a replacement on Friday. I'll see if that fixes the problem.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
For one final try, I reseated the graphics card, RAM and SSD, reinstalled Windows, ran all the updates, installed the nvidia driver and ran Unigine Heaven. It seemed to be going fine and ran for about an hour, but then when I woke the screen up it crashed.

Not mentioning this for investigation, as a replacement graphics card is on its way on Friday, but mentioning it for later reference if it becomes a problem.

It's interesting that the PC only crashed when I tried to wake up the screen, so that might be an alternate line of enquiry if the new graphics card doesn't solve the problem. If it matters, I am using a USB wireless mouse and keyboard, and I'm unplugging it frequently as I need it for work on my "old" PC.

For reference, other peripherals that might be relevant:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For one final try, I reseated the graphics card, RAM and SSD, reinstalled Windows, ran all the updates, installed the nvidia driver and ran Unigine Heaven. It seemed to be going fine and ran for about an hour, but then when I woke the screen up it crashed.

Not mentioning this for investigation, as a replacement graphics card is on its way on Friday, but mentioning it for later reference if it becomes a problem.

It's interesting that the PC only crashed when I tried to wake up the screen, so that might be an alternate line of enquiry if the new graphics card doesn't solve the problem. If it matters, I am using a USB wireless mouse and keyboard, and I'm unplugging it frequently as I need it for work on my "old" PC.
Just a big round of respect to you, your troubleshooting and patience has been superb.

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
Just a big round of respect to you, your troubleshooting and patience has been superb.
I was thinking the same about you and the other volunteers who have been helping me out - I would have had no clue otherwise! Thanks so much.

If nothing else I've learnt a lot about how computers work during this! My day job is software development, often deploying to the cloud, so I don't usually have to deal with anything this low-level ...

DanCarter194

Bronze Level Poster
I looked back over this thread and realised that the suggestion to use the AMD chipset tool (at https://www.amd.com/en/support) came just as I was about to do a complete reinstall of Windows, and so I don't think I ever did it. So earlier this evening I ran the tool, restarted, checked to see if there were any Windows updates (there weren't), and then set Unigine Heaven running again.

That was 2.5 hours ago and no crashes yet.

GPU temp is around 60 deg C. Haven't got the Ryzen tool (as reinstalling Windows blatted it) but CPU temp is probably nothing to worry about, given that one of the fans in my machine isn't even running (I believe the threshold I set it to in the BIOS was about 50 deg C - although I don't know which temp sensor that is based on).

Going to keep it running for a while yet, probably overnight. The pessimist and the optimist in me are waging war inside my head, and given that the AMD tool seems like it might have fixed the issue for the user in the other thread, the optimist currently has the marginal upper hand ...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I looked back over this thread and realised that the suggestion to use the AMD chipset tool (at https://www.amd.com/en/support) came just as I was about to do a complete reinstall of Windows, and so I don't think I ever did it. So earlier this evening I ran the tool, restarted, checked to see if there were any Windows updates (there weren't), and then set Unigine Heaven running again.

That was 2.5 hours ago and no crashes yet.

GPU temp is around 60 deg C. Haven't got the Ryzen tool (as reinstalling Windows blatted it) but CPU temp is probably nothing to worry about, given that one of the fans in my machine isn't even running (I believe the threshold I set it to in the BIOS was about 50 deg C - although I don't know which temp sensor that is based on).

Going to keep it running for a while yet, probably overnight. The pessimist and the optimist in me are waging war inside my head, and given that the AMD tool seems like it might have fixed the issue for the user in the other thread, the optimist currently has the marginal upper hand ...
I have always thought this was a driver issue and if the AMD chipset drivers were missing or outdated that could easily be the problem. Fingers crossed. Do please let us know how it goes. :)