Can I use an oem serial key with an installation from a retail version?

grrrrrowl

The situation is that I have ordered an oem copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) but it's going to arrive after my laptop arrives.

However, I have a retail version (which I used for my desktop) and was wondering if I can just use it to install Windows 7 on my laptop and just activate it when my oem copy arrives?

I have searched on Google but with contradictory results so was just wondering if anyone knows for sure? Worst case scenario is that I end up installing Windows 7 twice but obviously I'd rather not do that :p

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You can install the retail version on your laptop,just don't activate it & it will be good for 30 days,
but I would recommend you do a clean install with the OEM version when it arrives,
as this will save any problems with activation.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
that's what I'm trying to avoid, I'd rather just do 1 install if I can
Yes I know,but there could & probably would be problems activating a retail version with an OEM key,that's why I advise doing a clean install.Only takes about 20 minutes,but it's up to you.:)

Enazel

Shouldn't be any problem activating it to be honest, never had any problems with 7 with any version against key,.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If It does accept the OEM product key,for one thing,technically speaking,you would have an illegal copy of windows installed,according to microsoft eula's.
I've spent a lot of time trying to understand these eula's,probably without much success.
Another thing is that your product ID will be a retail one & your product key an OEM,I believe this could cause problems with activation,if not immediately,at anytime in the future with one windows update or another.But as I said it's up to you.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
retail and oem have different keys, you cant use on on the other. It wont activate.

You dont need to enter a key to install. If you install retail you wont be able to activate it with your oem key.

if i recall correctly.