Caviar Green

Hi guys,

My post in the 'check my spec' raised a final question for the build I'm thinking of. That was that a 'storage' drive of some kind would be good to complement the 300Gb Velociraptor I had in there. A Caviar Green was suggested which looked super in theory, low power and low noise - I'd barely notice it.

The prime thing to be on here would be my considerable music library and after a bit of research I've seen that people have skipping issues with these drives, which isn't what I want. Is this drive basically storage only with little capability for time-intensive access or do the reviewers have bad drives/bad setups in general?

The prices of these drives are fantastic and 1 Gb Green comes well within budget and if it's capable of handling things like my music and old crap like Diablo 2 then I'll be banging one in!

Any opinions on these things? :)

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice so far on the couple of threads I've made btw :D

Sleinous

Author Level
Id strongly suggest it! Yes they can be put through just as much intensive use as caviar blacks imo

Gorman

Author Level
I have never known of any issues with these drives like that, they can be slow to spin up if inactive for a while, but thats no big deal for a storage drive. And by slow i mean 2-5 seconds.

I have never known of any issues with these drives like that, they can be slow to spin up if inactive for a while, but thats no big deal for a storage drive. And by slow i mean 2-5 seconds.

My worry is that, for instance, I'll play a tune which will end up writing to cache. Then the hard drive will power down. So next tune is delayed whilst it spins up again.

Gorman

Author Level
Powering down times are set in windows and can typically be 20 mins etc. Not a problem that cant be easily fixed.

Ahh, I didn't know. That's great then, will add one of these to the order. At the price it seems silly not to!

Thanks Gorman.