Dual monitor help needed

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
I currently have an iiyama 24" monitor and want to add a second monitor, what cables do I need?

I tried connecting my old 19" monitor and connected both of my monitors to the VGA/DVI ports on my card but when I tried to change my settings so both would work it had an error and only one or the other would work.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Far as I can see the 690 has 3 DVI ports,so you you would need two DVI (male)to HDMI (female)adaptors and two HDMI cables.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
So just out of curiosity which cables and ports are you actually using - VGA, DVI or HDMI? And are you using adaptors to convert one port into another.

Noting that your monitors seem to have VGA (blue), DVI (generally white) and HDMI ports (generally black) ports
And your graphics card seems to have 3 DVI (white) ports and a minidisplay port(kinda smaller version of the HDMI)

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
So just out of curiosity which cables and ports are you actually using - VGA, DVI or HDMI? And are you using adaptors to convert one port into another.

Noting that your monitors seem to have VGA (blue), DVI (generally white) and HDMI ports (generally black) ports
And your graphics card seems to have 3 DVI (white) ports and a minidisplay port(kinda smaller version of the HDMI)

My monitor is connected from it's HDMI to my card using a grey converter which I think is DVI, but there's another lead from my monitor which is white on both ends which isn't connected to my card.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
So if I purchased that I wouldn't need any additional cables?
If your monitors have a DVI-D port (as it would appear according to that link) and the 690 I believe has three DVI ports,then yes all you should need is two DVI-D cables.

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
If your monitors have a DVI-D port (as it would appear according to that link) and the 690 I believe has three DVI ports,yes all you should need is two DVI-D cables.

The thing is I have just tried to connect my monitor using the DVI port to DVI in the back of my card and all I get is no signal, the only way it works is if I use the cable from the monitor (HDMI) and use a converter and stick it to the DVI-D in the card port.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The thing is I have just tried to connect my monitor using the DVI port to DVI in the back of my card and all I get is no signal, the only way it works is if I use the cable from the monitor (HDMI) and use a converter and stick it to the DVI-D in the card port.
You may need to switch your monitor to DVI mode,have a look at the monitor manual.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Changed it to DVI mode plugged the cable in and nothing but a blank screen :(
Try restarting computer or plugging in monitor when computer is shut down,make sure monitor is connected to graphics card and not on board,and monitor is set to DVI mode.

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
Try restarting computer or plugging in monitor when computer is shut down,make sure monitor is connected to graphics card and not on board,and monitor is set to DVI mode.

Just tried that and when I turned it back on it worked up until the windows login and it had 'No Signal' again, currently I am using HDMI 2 so I think my lead is a HDMI to DVI-D converter, so should I buy another on of those leads for my second monitor, will it work? since for some reason DVI-D isn't.

Or would you like pictures?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Just tried that and when I turned it back on it worked up until the windows login and it had 'No Signal' again, currently I am using HDMI 2 so I think my lead is a HDMI to DVI-D converter, so should I buy another on of those leads for my second monitor, will it work? since for some reason DVI-D isn't.

Or would you like pictures?
Pictures would help,I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I think my lead is a HDMI to DVI-D converter".

Last edited:

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
Here's pictures for reference.

HDMI? with connector.

b7ju3l.jpg

DVI-D to DVI-D? doesn't work even when monitor in DVI mode or auto mode, only works when restarted up until windows login.

zmb0gh.jpg

And then the HDMI from the monitor.

2i1levk.jpg

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yes,the first pic is DVI (male) to HDMI (female) adaptor,two of those with HDMI cables should work (one for each monitor)as I mentioned in post 4,but so should two straight DVI-D to DVI-D cables shown in the second pic,only use one connection to each monitor at a time.

Last edited:

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
OK thank-you for all the help, I am going to buy the second monitor and get the HDMI to DVI lead just in case, I see no reason why it wouldn't work :)

+repped.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i have the same screens and a just use two dvi cables provided with the screens... seems to work straight away for me.