Ethernet Cables Help

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Hey All,

Can some one please tell me the differences between Ethernet cables please. I see all this Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a, EJ45 etc etc.

This is all mumble jumble to me :D

I just want 2 x 1 Metre length good and reliable Ethernet cables for my Homeplugs pair im goin to buy. I would rather not know all the technical and complex details, rather some one with the knowledge just enlighten me on the correct type I need. :)

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
76p....? Something has to be wrong with it :confused:

Actually, you may go into more detail if you wish :) lol Like Difference of cat5 and Cat6. Maybe i should just Google it lol

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Cat5 - 10/100mbps ONLY
Cat5e - 10/100/1000mbps but NOT certified for 1000mbps
Cat6 - 10/100/1000mbps certified

Then you can get shielded/unshielded

Cheap ethernet cables are the norm, if youre getting one thats more than £4 you're overpaying

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yeah but you use Wikipedia to find sources :)! As long as you check out their source (and reference that Not Wiki) then it is an invaluable resource imo :).
Got to agree with that,despite all the slagging they get I still find wiki one of the best sources of information.:)

Sleinous

Author Level
Ye the article explains it well, it also makes the cable a little less flexible unfortunately :(

To those wondering why im replying when im on a cruise, i just picked up some 3g when leaving Oslo. Love o2's 25mb data bundle

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Im on 10Mb - 20Mb Virgin Speeds.

So regarding that internet package, Will either cat5, cat5e or cat6 Ethernet cables alter/effect the speed or make any difference in choosing the better cables...?

Hope people understand what im trying to say. :)

steaky360

Im on 10Mb - 20Mb Virgin Speeds.

So regarding that internet package, Will either cat5, cat5e or cat6 Ethernet cables alter/effect the speed or make any difference in choosing the better cables...?

Hope people understand what im trying to say. :)

If you can get cat6 cables for cheap enough and your router / Ethernet port on your PC support it then get them. If not, don't worry many other factors will pay a larger role in affecting your connection speeds than the cables in my opinion.