Few questions about new computer

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Just looking in the bios this is my fan situation
373BCA6C-6829-48D3-BC88-6E4716B04495.jpeg

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I've changed the fan curve profile for the cpu fan in bios to a manual setting (a little lower than silent mode) it is quieter, not sure I should have done it and it's still annoying as it's still doing it every 20-30 seconds but not as loud.. The rpm's are down quite a bit though now.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I'm looking at HWmonitor CPU goes up to between 50 and 60 each time I navigate anywhere on chrome, thats whats making the fan spike so much. Seems a bit excessive to go from around 45oC idle and pushing 60oC from one click of the mouse :unsure:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm looking at HWmonitor CPU goes up to between 50 and 60 each time I navigate anywhere on chrome, thats whats making the fan spike so much. Seems a bit excessive to go from around 45oC idle and pushing 60oC from one click of the mouse :unsure:
That's completely normal for Chrome, this is why very few people in the know use it anymore, it's a resource hog to say the least. If you open up task manager, you'll see just how much CPU and RAM it's using.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
That's completely normal for Chrome, this is why very few people in the know use it anymore, it's a resource hog to say the least. If you open up task manager, you'll see just how much CPU and RAM it's using.
I tested it on Edge and the same was happening, cpu goes up to 57/60 °C every click and the fan becomes louder. I wonder if there's a way for the fan to ignore those 1-2 second spikes or does it need to do this

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I tested it on Edge and the same was happening, cpu goes up to 57/60 °C every click and the fan becomes louder. I wonder if there's a way for the fan to ignore those 1-2 second spikes or does it need to do this
The fan responds to load, that's necessary otherwise the CPU will overheat. It's working the way it's supposed to.

On a new system, you'll find there's a lot of processes going on in the background for the first few days, so even if you're not doing anything, it's working hard in the background indexxing and stuff.

You need to do some thermal troubleshooting running a load like Prime95 to test thermals. But the fan isn't the issue. Temps are possibly an issue, but I suspect it's working normally.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Also does anything look wrong here, some of the tempatures seem quite high considering the computers more or less idle
The meaning of TMPIN0, TMPIN1, etc. seems to be motherboard specific and I've never been able to find a reliable description of what they actually mean. In your example all the TMPINx sensors seem to be inactive because their current, min and max values are identical (or nearly so) - in addition the TMPIN8 sensor is reported twice with different (fixed) values! I would suggest that you can ignore these sensors, they may not even be there at all and are just artefacts that HWMonitor is seeing.

Windows is never truly idle, there are a number of components that are designed to make use of idle time (disk indexing for one). I see the temps rise and fall on mine sometimes for no apparent reason.

As for the droning noise, it's possible you have a noisy fan. If you can isolate which one it is - get a length of dowel and gently hold one end against each fan and the other to an ear - you can try disconnecting it or setting its profile to be off to see whether the drone stops. It's also possible that two fans are 'beating' with one another. The German bombers in WWII would deliberately de-synchronise their propellers so that they 'beat' and made a threatening noise. I dare say we did the same...!

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
It is the Noctua fan, as the changes I made to the CPU fan in BIOS has reduced the noise level, although its still there.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It is the Noctua fan, as the changes I made to the CPU fan in BIOS has reduced the noise level, although its still there.
Is the fan properly attached to the cooler tower? It may have come adrift in transit.

Failng that I would contact PCS. They may be able to just replace the fan.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I’m not sure, it’s hard for me to know what to look for. To be honest I struggled removing the foam insert as it was all around the fan and it’s a big fan. I did send them an email about it though but not heard back yet

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
With that fan working at those speeds, you shouldn't be able to hear it....I had a Noctua fan similar to the one used on that cooler as the exhaust fan in my old system at higher rpms constantly and it was essentially silent
It’s definitely not silent but it’s only really noticeable when it speeds up, which is often even though I’ve only tested on chrome with one tab open

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Email these days often take several days for a reply as they are pretty busy.

May seem like a stupid question but have you checked to make sure the fan is securely attached to the side of the heatsink? I ask as the wire frame that attaches it doesn't look like much and so it might have gotten loosened in transit/when the foam was removed
It’s hard to know what I’m looking for, is it this though the cable at the top? I couldn’t see anything else
B5CF9D4C-E99C-4122-A9AD-46F107EA0354.jpeg
It’s more or less silent when I look inside the case, all the fans running quiet but as soon as I do anything in computer the sound increases to noticeable level

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I'm wondering whether its the cha1 / cha2 fans, I've put them manual so they are level all the time and I don't hear anything anymore, I previously put the cpu fan level but it was still happening. So maybe its the case fans.

That would be annoying as I wanted to replace them with the noctua case fans but they wouldn't let me have them even if I sent them in to them to fit :(

I'm guessing I can't leave the case fans to 40% either

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Its not so much a rattle, more like a gusty breeze as its lasts for 2-3 seconds each time, but its annoying to hear it every 20-30 seconds. Its definitely the case fans though since I turned them down to 40% until it hits 70 degrees its not happened once, I'm guessing I probably shouldn't leave them like it though.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Sorry I probably didn't word my last post well, I meant I set the fan curve to go faster once above 70, before that is now level and now the computer is quiet.

The CPU hasn't gone above 60 from checking hwmonitor, it just moves up towards there whenever I use chrome, and then back down to mid 40s within a few seconds. Hence the fan noise only lasting a couple of seconds each time.
I'm wondering what the lowest I could run those case fans would be, to prevent them becoming noisey when the cpu goes above 50

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Experimentation is the only way to know...try dropping them a little, monitor the temps etc..if okay, lower a bit again. Keep going until you are happy overall or the temps start getting hotter.

Another alternative is to use a different browser than Chrome. Forefiox and Edge both use less resources (Chrome opens like 1,000 processes for every tab you open..or so it seems!)

I just experiemented and opening Chrome caused my fans to ramp up, as did opening a second tab in it. Opening a second tab in Firefox did nothing. Not conclusive admittedly
Other than CPU what should I check?
GPU has always been 33°C but its not doing anything.
M.2 is 43°C and other ssd is 31°C.
I didn't expect to have this much to think about just to keep it quiet :unsure: I'm sure the noctua case fans would have been quieter so quite disappointed I wasn't allowed to pick them, I don't know how to change them myself.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
As to changing the fans, if you really wanted to....it's simply a matter of unscrewing 4 screws, unpluggin the fan from the motherboard, then plugging the new fan into the same motherboard slot and screwing it into the case with the 4 screws. Simple to do and you can probably find YouTube videos to guid you through it
I had a quick look and it looked like one of the cables from the fan was going round the back of the case (where all the other cables are), I think if I attempted anything like that I'd be guaranteed to break something :(

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I moved the noctua back onto silent mode (from a manual mode I was testing) and I can hear the noctua coming and going whenever the cpu goes above 50. It seems to be doing it every 5-6 seconds when I've got the case fans levelled out, quieter than when they are all doing it but still frustrating at least for me anyway. The only way around it seems to be creating all manual level fan curves unless really necessary (above 70)