Few questions about new computer

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I've set up my new PC today and everything is working so far.
A few things I was wondering, where do I find the Windows Home serial number?

It has defaulted to 60hz on 1080p, 1920x1080 (native) under Ultra HD, HD, SD on Nvidia control panel.
In the dropdown 60hz is the highest it can go, I can only select 75hz by going to the resolution under PC, is this right?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just wondered incase I had to reinstall some day, I wasn't sure how to go about it..
You just reinstall windows and it will automatically license when next online through obtaining the key from the BIOS.

To set the resolution, you'll need to do that in windows firstly. Go to advanced display settings and click "display adapter properties" at the bottom, that should open up the monitor driver, you'll need to set your refresh rate in there firstly:

1598209446142.png

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Ok I went through that part and it has changed it but it still has no option for 75hz for 1920x1080 (native) under Ultra HD, HD, SD, it just goes to the PC setting. Not sure if thats how it should be though. It seems alot brighter on 75hz even with my brightness settings turned low on my monitor

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok I went through that part and it has changed it but it still has no option for 75hz for 1920x1080 (native) under Ultra HD, HD, SD, it just goes to the PC setting. Not sure if thats how it should be though. It seems alot brighter on 75hz even with my brightness settings turned low on my monitor
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say this, can you post a screenshot?

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
This is what it defaulted to
default.jpg

This is what it goes to when I change it to 75hz
75.jpg

There is still no option for 75hz in the first image

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Also I don't know if I need that Nvidia control panel, when I loaded up the 2nd time a pop up came up saying it couldn't be found, so I installed it incase. Nvidia geforce experience was installed already

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also I don't know if I need that Nvidia control panel, when I loaded up the 2nd time a pop up came up saying it couldn't be found, so I installed it incase. Nvidia geforce experience was installed already
So long as it’s configured in windows it’s fine, the pc option will be fine.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
One other thing, the computer is relatively quiet but something is droneing away whenever I have chrome open, its very noticeable and I assume its the two fans that came with the PC. Bear in mind this is all I've done so far on the computer which is much of a task. I wonder how they can be replaced with quieter ones? I wouldn't know where to start but the droning thats happening is quite annoying.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
One other thing, the computer is relatively quiet but something is droneing away whenever I have chrome open, its very noticeable and I assume its the two fans that came with the PC. Bear in mind this is all I've done so far on the computer which is much of a task. I wonder how they can be replaced with quieter ones? I wouldn't know where to start but the droning thats happening is quite annoying.
What are your full specs?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was thinking about changing it for the 144hz of the same monitor. But it still doesn't explain the droning noise thats going on :(
Anything at 1080p would be a waste as it would immediately be redundant now and with any future GPU upgrade. You should be looking at 1440p 144Hz.

No idea on the noise, you'd have to isolate where it's coming from.

Could be coil whine on the GPU, could be a fan, we'd need a lot more information.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
No idea on the noise, you'd have to isolate where it's coming from.

Could be coil whine on the GPU, could be a fan, we'd need a lot more information.
I've had the side open for a while and trying to see where its coming from but none the wiser, it doesn't seem like its the case fans, but its like its on a timer and it happens every 20-30 seconds.
It's not loud its just an annoying drone/whine that happens a few times every minute, I’m hearing it behind the fan noise and finding it hard to not notice now

Last edited:

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Given the noise is coming regularly, I would say it's the CPU cooler fan...but it's supposedly Ultra-quiet. My CPU fan (stock on my 3600) goes up and down all the time....seems to be a quirk of Ryzen CPUs that the temp sensors don't seem accurate or consistent so the temps bounce around (mine will go from mid 40s to low 60s back to mid 40s in the space of 30 seconds)
I've been reading this and was wondering whether this was what I'm getting, and what changes I could make to prevent it https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-3600x-temperatures-and-loud-cooler.3512705/

This one also mentions it gets loud when opening chrome https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-5-3600x-cpu-fan-throttling.3503457/

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Also does anything look wrong here, some of the tempatures seem quite high considering the computers more or less idle

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 163