Few questions about new computer

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I was wondering should I choose Windows balanced or Ryzen balanced power mode?
I've had it on Ryzen since Sunday but after going to Windows balanced I noticed the cpu ghz can reduce to around 2.4ghz but on Ryzen balanced it doesn't appear to go below 3.4ghz.
Not sure which one to go for though, biggest difference I saw was the minimum processor state is 5% on windows but the ryzen balanced has it it on 90%. Whatever that means :unsure:

Last edited:

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
My ethernet cable lights up constantly even when the computer is off, is there any way to have that off with the rest of the computer when shut down?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My ethernet cable lights up constantly even when the computer is off, is there any way to have that off with the rest of the computer when shut down?
That's quite normal and nothing to worry about.

You might find that if you go into the properties of your Ethernet adapter and uncheck the box 'Allow this device to wake the computer' it might go off.

If that doesn't help then in the BIOS try disabling the network boot options.

As a last resort if the light bothers you at night, switch the wall socket off.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Should I be downloading the drivers for my processor from https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/...-ryzen-5-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-5-3600x or not? I don't have Ryzen Master installed so I wonder what I should be doing with regards to that.

Everything is working, I just notice the cpu temperature changing so much like this every few seconds 55°C 49°C 45°C 40°C 46°C 49°C even though I'm not doing anything.

So I wondered if I need to install any drivers or will it be ok as it is.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Should I be downloading the drivers for my processor from https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/...-ryzen-5-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-5-3600x or not? I don't have Ryzen Master installed so I wonder what I should be doing with regards to that.

Everything is working, I just notice the cpu temperature changing so much like this every few seconds 55°C 49°C 45°C 40°C 46°C 49°C even though I'm not doing anything.

So I wondered if I need to install any drivers or will it be ok as it is.
In general drivers do not need updating, unless you're having problems with a device or the updated driver contains new features/support that you actually need. Nvidia graphics drivers often include support for new games and/or performance tweaks for certain games, so it's not uncommon to be updating your Nvidia driver on occasion. If all really is working well as you say then the drivers are best left well alone.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
The temperatures on my 3600 fluctuate all the time...even at idel they display as 60 degrees and then a second later it will display at 46 degrees, then back up and down
Did you change your fan curves to ignore that? I had to alter mine as the fans were going off every 5-6 seconds

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
You might find that if you go into the properties of your Ethernet adapter and uncheck the box 'Allow this device to wake the computer' it might go off
I tried that but it stays on. I’ve noticed that the light goes off in sleep mode though :unsure:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have you tried looking on the Advanced tab in the adapter properties for any 'wake' options?

Unless the light actually bothers you at night I really wouldn't worry, this is normal.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Have you tried looking on the Advanced tab in the adapter properties for any 'wake' options?
My computer stayed lit up quite a bit initially when off which was noticeable in the night so I changed to stealth mode and that turned the lights off inside the computer. The only other thing is the ethernet cable flashing all the time its not major but if I could turn it off it would be useful. There are settings like Shutdown Wake-on-Lan, Wake on Magic Packet/pattern match all of which are currently enabled

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
A few things, should my m.2 be disk 0? its set as disk 1.
disk.jpg

Should the free space be more accurate? there is 30gb difference between the full number and the shortened number
space.jpg

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A few things, should my m.2 be disk 0? its set as disk 1.
View attachment 18227

Should the free space be more accurate? there is 30gb difference between the full number and the shortened number
View attachment 18228
It makes not one scrap of difference what disk number is used, it's just a placeholder. Disk 0, disk 1 is meaningless other than to identify the different drives.

Your disk space is reported correctly. You're forgetting that a kilobytes (k) is not 1000 bytes but 1024 byes (2 to the power 10). A gigabyte (GB) is 1024*1024*1024 bytes. If you divide 46,314,151,926 by 1024*1024*1204 you get 43.133GB. Your free space similarly works out to be 421.76GB. :)