Firewall limiting speed

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
Hey everyone, I've been trying to increase my internet speed forever, hitting a max of 40kbps for the last year. But I've found the problem and i thought i would share it with the rest of you to see if it would help increase your speed. On my pc this simple process boosted my speed from 40kbps to 200kbps. Ok, go to your network and sharing center and click on the connection you are using for the internet. it should come up with a properties panel, then untick agnitum firewall driver. If you will need a new firewall but anything is better than this.
Hope you found this helpful!

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
i dunno all i know is that its through the phone line and its something like £20 through AOL because they are the only people that can give us unlimited internet. We have phoned up before and i tried a new router they gave us (looked like it was worth about 1p) and it kept dropping out so i dropped the firewall on my old netgear one. We have complained about slow internet but aol claim no responsibility for slow speeds and say its BTs problem. :/

tom_gr7

Life Serving
its probably due to the distance your house is from the exchange. Also AOL's traffic management policy

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
aol basically provide no service after 6pm. 3pm it gets limited to 80kbps, then around 4 it goes down to 40kbps. Now if i try and download off steam it will keep dropping out. I've managed to get steam loaded, and its going at a graceful 2kbps. :) I think another complaint is in order.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Nevermind a complaint, ya should change provider.

go on google, whack in broadband speed test, do a couple of them with different sites. Some sites tell you what speeds other users get in your area. That speed is very very slow. I'm looking around you could get a better connection/deal

Do you live in the sticks?

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
i live around 30/40 mins from nottingham but its around a 5 min drive to the nearest town. I just did a uswitch broadband test and on average the download speed in my exchange is around 1.1mb (including bt, plusnet, talk talk [which is basically aol if i remember correctly] and it says im getting 0.7mb o_O

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Maybe worth a change to bt? Or another company. I'm with BT, its not bad, ya would get a new router off them. It might be worth it if you get an extra 0.4mb

Most companies will give you the same speed. Even if one says they will provide faster connection it will be exactly the same. Depends on the distance from the exchange and the telephone line quality.

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
it says im around 2.5 miles from an exchange and bt dont offere unlimited internet around here :/ infact the most they me is a 10gb cap. I also looked at other peoples houses and say one person with talk talk on 0.1mb download speed, i need to find them and laugh at them. I think I'll give bt a call saying "if you provided unlimited i would switch *nudge nudge* fibre optics are needed here *NUDGE NUDGE*. anyway +rep cos im feeling generous unlike my internet.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
it says im around 2.5 miles from an exchange and bt dont offere unlimited internet around here :/ infact the most they me is a 10gb cap. I also looked at other peoples houses and say one person with talk talk on 0.1mb download speed, i need to find them and laugh at them. I think I'll give bt a call saying "if you provided unlimited i would switch *nudge nudge* fibre optics are needed here *NUDGE NUDGE*. anyway +rep cos im feeling generous unlike my internet.

cheers dude, Would be nice if companies such as virgin or BT spent the money paying fibre optic cables all over the country, would provide a much better service and result in more custom.

Infact if Virgin were to do this, the amount of consumers that would switch to fibre optic broadband/TV from BT's crappy speeds would be a massive loss to other companies and win win for virgin. Would also force BT to get a grip and lay fibre optic cables aswell. Maybe I should write a letter/email to Richard Branson with my marketing/undercutting other companies idea. I'm sure if it was mentioned he could steal customers from other internet companies and TV company Sky he would. Might cost money for him to in the short term but in the long run would make it back! edit - he can afford to spend a little to create more!

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
if they layed in cables i would change to virgin tv aswell. I don't get this BT infinity thing either? is it fibre optics or something cheap and overly hyped? If you do pitch that to Branson tell him you already have one potential customer :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if they layed in cables i would change to virgin tv aswell. I don't get this BT infinity thing either? is it fibre optics or something cheap and overly hyped? If you do pitch that to Branson tell him you already have one potential customer :p

lol cant hurt to pop a email over.

Yea fibre optic is amazing!

"Rather than electrical signals sent via copper wire, a technology which dates back to the invention of the telephone, fibre optic networks send digital information via glass fibre cables. Much faster and far more reliable!
Fibre optic broadband is also more consistent than alternatives and no matter where you are on the network you'll be able to get online at close to the advertised speed.
This is because the fibre optic signal doesn't become weaker over distances. In other words, whether you live next door to your local telephone exchange or miles away, you'll probably get the internet at close to the speeds your fibre optic provider advertises, not at a fraction of the speed, which is a real problem for people relying on telephone line-based broadband."

Source

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers man, i was taught about fibre optics for my gcses last year but i didnt really listen so that will be some reading to get through tomorrow. Now i need to get some sleep so i have the energy to yell at some unlucky guy in india about how bad my internet is. Cheers for the help and info man!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ask for some cable upgrades leading to your area?

if you are in quite a big town and many people have similar problems then they will change it for you

Gorman

Author Level
The component you disabled is a vital part of several firewall suites, including Bullguard as far as i am aware. Just so you know. Also, its not technically the firewall that caused the slow down, just the driver.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I think tbh he needs to find the cause of the problem, even on AOL those speeds are very low. Is your modem plugged into the master socket in the house? By master socket I mean oen of these

bt-master-socket-size-large.jpg

The master socket is the one on the right, the difference is that the master socket is split in two horizontally. This is the socket at which the phone line enters the house. If there is a fauly connection inside the house it will be between the master socket and the socket you are using.

The best way to check is to plug directly into the phone line. To do this, take the face plate off the front of the master socket. Once youve taken the face plate off, there will be a connector inside, the face plate is essentially an extension. Plug your modem directly into this socket. If the problem persists then it is a problem outside of your home. BT are responsible for anything after the master socket, where as you are responsible for anything this side of the master socket.

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
@wozza i live in a small village and people on the other side of the village are getting around 2mps on the other side and around <1mps on this side, but its a small village and since this village is full of old people i doubt they will change the line.
@Gorman I didnt know that so I guess I'll have to keep turning it on and off for when i want to download games off steam :/ thanks.
@frenchy my router is plugged into the main socket, I'll try and have a look at the faceplate in a bit as i dont want parents watching me with -___- faces.
Cheers for help everyone and rep for info.

Stappa

Enthusiast
aol basically provide no service after 6pm. 3pm it gets limited to 80kbps, then around 4 it goes down to 40kbps. Now if i try and download off steam it will keep dropping out. I've managed to get steam loaded, and its going at a graceful 2kbps. :) I think another complaint is in order.

Its nothing to to with AOL as I've been with them for years and have a average a DL of around 15MB??neither have I ever experienced any noticeable 'Traffic Management'. I chose them purely on price, £19.99 for unlimited DL's 24MB speed(averaging 15MB)free national calls and a free 'N' router every 12 months,which beats any supplier in my area

BTW follow Frenchies advice if poss,and also fit a bell filter to the master socket(I personally have my router connected to a 'wired in' extension and have experienced no probs)

Last edited:

Badgerhunter

Bronze Level Poster
i started a download this morning with around 180kbs and when i got home it was on 40 and still going at 40 now :/. I'll have a go with the assault of the master socket tomorrow (this doesnt much intellect apart from unscrewing it and plugging it into something does it?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i started a download this morning with around 180kbs and when i got home it was on 40 and still going at 40 now :/. I'll have a go with the assault of the master socket tomorrow (this doesnt much intellect apart from unscrewing it and plugging it into something does it?

lol naa, literally unscrew, detach fgaceplate, connect router :) done.