Fsx pc

RobDob

Hi all

I am trying to configure a PC to be able to run FSX maxed out without any problems. I have gone round & round in circles configuring and have ended up totally confused as to what I do or don't need!

Can anyone suggest a spec that will run FSX without much of struggle but also without breaking the bank? Max budget is £2K but I would rather spend far less, so I would ideally like a recommendation for what spec will run FSX at the lowest price!!

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Ok so I know this probably isnt much help, but my PC (in my sig) runs it very well, but not completely maxed on scenery. It runs on maxed out textures etc but if you try run with 100% cars, planes, boats etc etc then it lags big time lol.

Also make sure when you do finally get found to installing it to install the 2 patches, because one of them allows it to upgrade to DX10, before I updated to that patch the game ran at about 10fps max, now it runs at around 70fps.

Id say two most important parts for FSX though are the cpu and the GFX card. Id say a 570 or 580 should both run on near full graphics, although im nto entirely sure. CPU id say atleast an i5, possibly an i7, although i thihnk the i5 should handle it fine.

Also dont PCS have a section specific to Flight sim computers?

RobDob

Hi, thanks for your post. I forgot to mention that in my post; there is the 'FSX' section, but there are 6 base options which are individually configurable so I kept getting tangled up!!

As for the patches, do you mean SP1 & 2 that come with acceleration?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
As for the patches, do you mean SP1 & 2 that come with acceleration?

Yeah think so, they add a couple of extra options in the config section for graphics. One which allows you to run in DX10 instead of 9a or whatever it was before.

Fear

Prolific Poster
The best processors to look at for FSX are the i7 as they have the multi threading so you effectively have double the amount of cores running so on the i7 2600 model thats 8 threads which i am guessing it will make use of them all (maybe frenchy can check on his) my 6 core i7 970 uses 10 threads.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
The best processors to look at for FSX are the i7 as they have the multi threading so you effectively have double the amount of cores running so on the i7 2600 model thats 8 threads which i am guessing it will make use of them all (maybe frenchy can check on his) my 6 core i7 970 uses 10 threads.

Yup mine uses all 8 threads

Fear

Prolific Poster
2 specs below to look at 1 with the i7 2600 and 1 with a i7 980

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,282.00 including VAT and delivery.

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-980 (3.33GHz) 4.8GTs/12MB
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,552.00 including VAT and delivery.

RobDob

Thanks for the info guys.

I've been looking at the solid state drives as the primary which obviously makes a massive difference in price!! Are they worth the money at the moment?

If I opt for standard drive, would it be worth a few extra £ for a velociraptor?

Thanks again for your help. :)

Fear

Prolific Poster
Thanks for the info guys.

I've been looking at the solid state drives as the primary which obviously makes a massive difference in price!! Are they worth the money at the moment?

If I opt for standard drive, would it be worth a few extra £ for a velociraptor?

Thanks again for your help. :)

I don't think there is much speed improvement if any on a velociraptor over a caviar black and you have quite a bit more to pay for the raptor, personally i think the SSD's are way overpriced for what your getting (must point out i do not have 1 and also never tried 1) the performance on the caviar blacks is good enough for me untill they have a large and stable SSD that does not have a giant price tag, you will probably get some comments from people who have or are thinking of getting an SSD so same as all PC components you will get different opinions.

RobDob

Thanks; I will probably go for Caviar Black for now, that will save a fair whack of money! I will take another look in the store later & tweak those suggested specs.

Cheers all.