Gaming computer, this any good?

Marauder

Hi, not very good with computers but I'm buying a new one to play EVE Online. specs are:

Case: STYLISH PIANO BLACK FUSION CASE inc. 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i5-650 Dual Core (3.20GHz, 4MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard: ASUS® P7H55D-M EVO: MICRO ATX, USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0GB/s
Memory (RAM): 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card: 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk: 250GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling: 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling: TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

My budget is £1000 but I'm aiming for about £800, this costs £797 inc VAT and Delivery

Mainly for gaming, and mostly only EVE Online but with everyday actions (surfing ect)
So, will this run EVE Online smoothly, should I upgrade certain things or entire new set up?

PS: http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=124 - Those are the system requirements for EVE Online

Thanks

Meds

Hey,

The two things I would pick up on are the HDD & PSU.

You can double the HDD size to 500GB for around £5 extra! Also, the 450W PSU would be the absolute minimum I would recommend for a GTX460, ideally I would go for a 600W+.

Marauder

Thanks for the reply, I did the plus 250GB first to see the cost and its only £3 more so glad you brought that up. However, when I did this the power requirement went from 450W required to only 350W, do I downgrade to 350W, stay up 450W or upgrade to 600W and what would be the difference?

On the note of cost, its about £784 with 350W, £800 with 450W and £830 with 600W.

Thanks.

Gorman

Author Level
Hi Marauder, The power supply is just that, what gives juice to the whole machine.

On paper your rig would require an absolute minimum of 450w, with a 350w i doubt it would even turn on. As its a gaming machine you want to last a while i would over spec the PSU to a 600w which is more than you need initially but PSU's reduce in output over time. 600w gives you the headroom for upgrades and also the longevity you are looking for.

Think of it as engine sizes, putting a 350w/450w in a gaming rig is like swapping out the engine in a truck for a 1ltr. Sure it might run for a while but its not the best fit and sooner or later it will get burnt out from the pressure.

Sleinous

Author Level
Hey,

The two things I would pick up on are the HDD & PSU.

You can double the HDD size to 500GB for around £5 extra! Also, the 450W PSU would be the absolute minimum I would recommend for a GTX460, ideally I would go for a 600W+.

Infact for a few extra pounds you can get the 1TB WD10EARS, with 64mb cache. Much much better deal than that 8MB cache, 250GB one :p Dont forget the majority of games are hitting the 10GB disk space mark now so space goes quick.