Genesis IV problems

will2

Hi, I got my Genesis IV laptop on friday. Most things seem good but there are a few things irritating me that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Bluetooth. My laptop doesn't seem to know it has it? Firstly, the Fn-F12 button doesn't turn it on, Secondly there is no tray icon, thirdly I have searched the computer and control panel and can't seem to find it? I then went into the BIOS (can't remember all the menu names) but i found it and it was Disabled. I Enabled it, saved and exited. I booted hoping that it would suddenly all work but it still doesn't. I tried going into Services, I found "Bluetooth Support Service" went into properties and its startup type was on Manual, and it's Service Status: Stopped. I clicked start hoping this would fix it - it didn't. I also tried setting it to Startup Type - Automatic. Still didn't work, so i put these options back to how they were. Now I don't know what else to do?

2. For the first evening on the laptop, i noticed it kept doing this thing with the screen where the entire display will suddenly shift to the left (or right?) and back to centre really quickly - like a flickering thing. On day 2, this has stopped, but there have been a few times where the screen has flickered black and then come back with a balloon message saying something like "The display driver temporarily stopped working" + "But has recovered" (can't remember exactly). Any ideas?

3. Firefox has crashed quite a few times now. I would understand this on my old Dell Inspiron, but considering the spec of this laptop, i wasn't expecting to be putting up with firefox crashes etc...

4. A more minor problem, youtube doesn't seem to be loading properly? I mean, it does load the videos, but quite slowly, and 50% time not at all on 720p +. Once they are loaded, they play perfectly, but it's as if i have a terrible internet connection. However, the videos load way faster and more consistently on my old Dell Inspiron at the same distance from our router.

Here's my spec:

Chassis & Display
Genesis III: 15.6" Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 2.0 (UMA) OR 2 x USB 3.0 & 1 x USB 2.0 PORTS (GT 630M)
Battery
Genesis Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Any help would be appreciated! :)
Thanks.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
1) You should have received some discs, one of them should be for the motherboard, and this should install extras such as bluetooth

2) Try reinstalling the drivers from the disc, sadly there are no new windows drivers available for the 630m online but there should be soon and these would fix this problem hopefully

3) Firefox tends to be quite unstable, I even get it occasionally but not very much, it depends on how much youve got up, if you have 10+ tabs it becomes very unstable and starts to crash
Also Firefox can slow take over your memory over a period of hours, so i recommend closing it once every few hours, AVG Free alerts me when firefox is using too much memory although i usually ignore it as it doesn't affect me much

4) Go to speedtest.net and copy your results here that will let you see whether you should be capable of playing HD video

will2

Thanks for the reply Wozza. This is the 3rd time i'm writing out this reply after firefox crashed twice (one tab open, no other programs running). I'll try your suggestions later today when i have some time and post you the results. Also, the screen has started doing the rightleft flickering thing again this morning.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wow, ok then, try chrome or IE to see how they run

and i cant help with the flickering, only by updating the drivers, other than that i dont know

will2

Ok so i installed all the main drivers from the disc called "Device drivers & Utilities". There is also "Option" drivers on this disc and one of them is called "Combo BT Driver" I tried to install these but it wouldn't work, the only two which worked out of the "Option" drivers were IRST driver and THX TruStudio AP. The others, such as the "Combo BT Driver" came up with the message "Device was not found or please enable it before installing its driver!!"

drivers.jpg

Edit: Also took the speed test:
Download speed: 2.08 Mb/s
Upload speed: 0.83 Mb/s
Latency: 39 ms

Attachments

• drivers.gif
    drivers.gif
    317.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hmmm, you should phone pcs, i havent got a clue

Those speeds arent fast enough for HD video, try connecting your laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and see what you get

will2

Maestro, I downloaded and installed/ran that program but it doesn't seem to have changed anything? At least the Fn-F12 button doesn't do anything noticable. In the clevo manual it said the wireless light (currently green) turns orange when bluetooth is on, but I can't make it go orange! Also I can't find bluetooth in Device Manager - assuming i'm looking in the right place.

will2

Ok I was messing around and I found my way to C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth and looked for any application files. There were 5 with the bluetooth symbol. I tried clicking all of them, and one of them brought up a window called Bluetooth Device Operations and Settings. As you can see in the picture, it said my bluetooth isn't working etc. I clicked on Help in the bottom corner and it came up with some Intel instructions on how to set up the bluetooth. It said I needed to install it from the Driver CD (which of course doesn't work). So I browsed the CD and manually found the BluetoothSetup.exe file, and installed it. I thought this had fixed it, as after rebooting I had "My Bluetooth" in My Computer. However, it still doesn't work and says "Bluetooth Radio Device is not available."

bluetooth device.jpg
bluetooth.jpg

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
This probably doesn't apply to laptops with integrated bluetooth but maybe worth a try. Click start/devices and printers.(on the right hand side)
If bluetooth device icon Is visible,right click/settings/tick allow bluetooth devices to find this computer.

will2

Yes but I can't do that - as I said further up in the thread, there is no sign of it in control panel. Since manually finding the what I assume is the bluetooth driver on the disc, and installing it, the only sign of bluetooth I get is "My Bluetooth" which now shows in My Computer.

Buzz

Master
Did you try going into the BIOS and checking to see if Bluetooth was enabled there.

Most computers to get into the BIOS is tap delete key on startup prior to the windows logo screen, but yours maybe a different key. Check your manual if Delete doesnt work.

Bluetooth would normally be found in the on board device configuration section in the BIOS.