Get Blue Screen and Error message on startup!

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
To make things worse now my 2TB external Hard Drive is showing as 248MB.

How can I get this back to the full capacity?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just tried setting up the Memtest and sent it straight to my External Hard Drive. Set it up as on the instructions and it wiped the Hard Drive of all my stuff! Cannot believe it!
Why on earth did you do that? That’s basically repartitioned your hard drive and flashed memtest.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Welcome to custom PC's, it's a steep learning curve if you've not used them before.
I get that but custom or not it's got the same parts that a pre built computer from Dell would have right?

Just seems mad I am trying to sort an issue instead of just getting PCS to fix it!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I get that but custom or not it's got the same parts that a pre built computer from Dell would have right?

Just seems mad I am trying to sort an issue instead of just getting PCS to fix it!
Completely different thing than a Dell or any off the shelf. You need to know basic windows troubleshooting and drivers and you’ll have to reinstall windows often. It’s a completely different thing.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Completely different thing than a Dell or any off the shelf. You need to know basic windows troubleshooting and drivers and you’ll have to reinstall windows often. It’s a completely different thing.
Why is that though? You are basically saying they are completely unstable. Why are the parts in this machine need more looking after than main PC brand like Dell etc?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Why is that though? You are basically saying they are completely unstable. Why are the parts in this machine need more looking after than main PC brand like Dell etc?
I never said they were unstable, what I'm saying is that they're nothing like a Dell.

They're made of entirely different components, dell make their own and make their own drivers.

Custom PC's use custom parts each with individual drivers.

It's a completely different piece of hardware.

This is why if you're uncomfortable with windows maintenance it's best to get an off the shelf pc.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
I never said they were unstable, what I'm saying is that they're nothing like a Dell.

They're made of entirely different components, dell make their own and make their own drivers.

Custom PC's use custom parts each with individual drivers.

It's a completely different piece of hardware.

This is why if you're uncomfortable with windows maintenance it's best to get an off the shelf pc.
Ok.

I am not too bad with general computer maintenance to be fair. but I ain't no super nerd that knows everything about all this stuff. :p:p:p

Perhaps I will need you guys a lot. Haha

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're having troubles navigating a website, you're going to find configuring a PC extremely difficult.

I would just give PCS a call and ask them to guide you through it.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're having troubles navigating a website, you're going to find configuring a PC extremely difficult.

I would just give PCS a call and ask them to guide you through it.
Na, I am more than capable but I just don't trust all these little websites with loads of ads everywhere.

I will see what happens and maybe I will just do an online chat tomorrow with PCS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just tried setting up the Memtest and sent it straight to my External Hard Drive. Set it up as on the instructions and it wiped the Hard Drive of all my stuff! Cannot believe it!
I did say write it to a USB stick and not an external drive! There will have been a warning from the tool that this will erase the contents of the selected drive....

The data on your external drive is gone forever I'm afraid, but to get that drive back to its full size you should open an elevated command prompt and enter the commands in bold as follows....

C:\>diskpart

DISKPART>
list disk

This will list all your connected drives, but not by name or by drive letter. You need to work out which is your external drive based on the drive size. Be absolutely certain you can identify your external drive before going any further. If you are in doubt then post a screenshot of the list disk output here and stop.

Assuming your external drive is disk number 2....

DISKPART> sel disk 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

Check again that you have selected the correct disk. If you have any doubt at all then stop. The next command WILL erase the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> format fs=ntfs quick

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> exit

C:\>

You will now have the full size of your external volume back and properly formatted.

If it helps, I am so convinced you have flaky RAM that it's worth calling PCS, pointing them to this thread (and the dumps) and asking them to swap the RAM in any case.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It might be an idea, before you use diskpart on the external drive, to try one of the data recovery tools. EaseUS has a tool that is supposed to be able to recover from re-partitioning, but there are others, like MiniTool that claim they can do the same thing. Search for 'data recovery after partition deleted' and you'll find several tools.

It's worth a try....

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
It might be an idea, before you use diskpart on the external drive, to try one of the data recovery tools. EaseUS has a tool that is supposed to be able to recover from re-partitioning, but there are others, like MiniTool that claim they can do the same thing. Search for 'data recovery after partition deleted' and you'll find several tools.

It's worth a try....
Thanks Ubuysa for all your help and even advice trying to get the old stuff back. Luckily it's a new hard drive and I only had 2 large files of photos which I can just add back. It's just time in the file transfer.

Once I do the disk part will it be ok and ready to use or will I need to re-install drivers etc?

Thanks