Get Blue Screen and Error message on startup!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks Ubuysa for all your help and even advice trying to get the old stuff back. Luckily it's a new hard drive and I only had 2 large files of photos which I can just add back. It's just time in the file transfer.
That's good to hear
Once I do the disk part will it be ok and ready to use or will I need to re-install drivers etc?

Thanks
No drivers needed, one you've cleaned it with diskpart it will be good to use.

Please be VERY VERY sure you select the correct drive in diskpart. The clean command WILL delete everything on the selected disk.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
I did say write it to a USB stick and not an external drive! There will have been a warning from the tool that this will erase the contents of the selected drive....

The data on your external drive is gone forever I'm afraid, but to get that drive back to its full size you should open an elevated command prompt and enter the commands in bold as follows....

C:\>diskpart

DISKPART>
list disk

This will list all your connected drives, but not by name or by drive letter. You need to work out which is your external drive based on the drive size. Be absolutely certain you can identify your external drive before going any further. If you are in doubt then post a screenshot of the list disk output here and stop.

Assuming your external drive is disk number 2....

DISKPART> sel disk 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

Check again that you have selected the correct disk. If you have any doubt at all then stop. The next command WILL erase the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> format fs=ntfs quick

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> exit

C:\>

You will now have the full size of your external volume back and properly formatted.

If it helps, I am so convinced you have flaky RAM that it's worth calling PCS, pointing them to this thread (and the dumps) and asking them to swap the RAM in any case.
Ubuysa, instructions were on point thanks mate.

Sorted the external drive! I have just got to add the items back now.

I will contact PCS and see what they say. Hopefully they will send me out some more to test and I will send mine back!

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
PCS have come back to me on email saying I need to run MEMtest. I will try to have a go on the weekend. I need to get my memory stick from my parents house as I wont be doing it on my external drive again.

:p

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
PCS have come back to me on email saying I need to run MEMtest. I will try to have a go on the weekend. I need to get my memory stick from my parents house as I wont be doing it on my external drive again.

Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

You already have! See my post on Oct 19th and your reply two posts later where you say...

Just checked the RAM and now re-started the PC and no error.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
You already have! See my post on Oct 19th and your reply two posts later where you say...
Ubuysa,

I did not run MEMtest I took the RAM sticks out and re-seated them. I didn't get the error for the next few days but have had it since.

Now PCS telling me I have to run MEMtest and see what happens.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ubuysa,

I did not run MEMtest I took the RAM sticks out and re-seated them. I didn't get the error for the next few days but have had it since.

Now PCS telling me I have to run MEMtest and see what happens.
Ah. I took that response to mean you had. Yes, you absolutely should run Memtest, your problem seems to be RAM related from the dumps.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Ah. I took that response to mean you had. Yes, you absolutely should run Memtest, your problem seems to be RAM related from the dumps.
Right Ubuysa, the memory stick I have not gone to collect yet from my parents house so I spoke to my IT guys at work and they said just run the windows test for now to see if that comes back with any errors. I done it and no errors found. I guess you will just say wait to see what MEMtest comes back with.

I will advise once I get it done.

Thanks
Rob

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Right Ubuysa, the memory stick I have not gone to collect yet from my parents house so I spoke to my IT guys at work and they said just run the windows test for now to see if that comes back with any errors. I done it and no errors found. I guess you will just say wait to see what MEMtest comes back with.

I will advise once I get it done.

Thanks
Rob
The Windows memory test is better than nothing but it's nowhere near as thorough as Memtest. You need to get that run.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Morning,

MEMtest complete.

Thanks
Well that's encouraging, although it doesn't prove that your RAM is good it just means Memtest couldn't make it fail. :)

I just went back and revisited your two dumps, they have different failing processes which makes it much more likely it's a hardware (RAM) issue. You have a choice now on how to proceed.

The dumps still point very clearly at RAM, so you could remove one of the two RAM sticks and run with just 8GB for a while and see whether you get the BSODs, if you do then swap RAM sticks and run with just the other for a while.

The other option is a clean install of Windows just to be certain that this isn't a software issue. TBH you'll need to clean install Windows before you think about RMAing it anyway. If running on each of the single RAM sticks still produces BSODs then use the Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick containing the Windows 10 install files - if you can I would do this on another PC or laptop to be sure your install files are not corrupted by any issues on this PC. Then boot that USB stick, choose a custom install, delete all UEFI partitions (there will be 4), click the unallocated space that results (to highlight it) and then click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows. Once you've gone through the initial setup (language, region, userid, etc.) run Windows Update repeatedly (even across reboots) until no more updates are found. This will install all necessary drivers.

Do not install any other software or make any configuration changes but test the PC to see whether it will BSOD in this pristine software state. If it does you'll need to RMA it because it will be some sort of hardware problem. If it won't BSOD then then you've likely fixed the software problem.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Ubuysa,

I really appreciate your help.

But in doing all these test I will not be able to use my PC like I would normally. I can re-install windows but not download any software etc would mean I could be waiting days without this happening.

It's a complete pain in the a**.

Hopefully PCS will advise what to do and even send me some new RAM to try!

Also a few times now I have noticed it taking longer on the startup screen before the password. Like a good minute. Most of the time it was pretty much instant!

I only have:

Filmora 9
Photoshop

installed.

Warzone is on my Storage Drive!

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
@ubuysa Can these BSODs sometimes clear themselves? Touch wood I have had a few little windows updates recently and I have not had the Blue Screen for nearly two weeks!

Infact I have not had it since I run MEMtest. Strange ayyy!!!

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
@ubuysa Can these BSODs sometimes clear themselves? Touch wood I have had a few little windows updates recently and I have not had the Blue Screen for nearly two weeks!

Infact I have not had it since I run MEMtest. Strange ayyy!!!

Thanks
It is possible that Memtest 'fixed' a RAM problem, but even then I'd want the RAM changed.

I'd expect PCS to want you to do a clean install of Windows first though to be sure it's not software.

You'd only need to run just Windows for a day or two, if it's OK then you can slowly install your other software. Install one app at a time and test the PC as much as you can before installing the next.

If PCS offer to swap your RAM then do so. :)

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
It is possible that Memtest 'fixed' a RAM problem, but even then I'd want the RAM changed.

I'd expect PCS to want you to do a clean install of Windows first though to be sure it's not software.

You'd only need to run just Windows for a day or two, if it's OK then you can slowly install your other software. Install one app at a time and test the PC as much as you can before installing the next.

If PCS offer to swap your RAM then do so. :)
At the minute no issues and PCS already said to me they will not swap the RAM as they do not think it is that!

They said if I would have to send the machine back to them for them to check it, which I do not want to do!

Thank you.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
At the minute no issues and PCS already said to me they will not swap the RAM as they do not think it is that!

They said if I would have to send the machine back to them for them to check it, which I do not want to do!

Thank you.
OK. If it happens again try running for a while on one RAM stick. If that fails try running on just the other. If it fails on both then it is unlikely to be RAM, despite what the dumps say.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
So after still having the error on odd occasions it now has starting to BSOD with the error SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION...

What is going on with this computer? To be honest I thought PCS machines would be a lot less hassle than this. I am sure most gaming machines do not have all these problems.

Any ideas what it could be?

Shall I just send the whole thing back to them and ask them to sort it?

Thanks
Robert

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's most likely a software issue with that BSOD. There should be one or more minidumps in the folder C:\Windows\Minidumps and/or a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp. Upload any dumps you find to the cloud and post aink to them here. I'll gladly take a look to see whether they contain anything useful.

Note that it could still be RAM related though..... :)

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
It's most likely a software issue with that BSOD. There should be one or more minidumps in the folder C:\Windows\Minidumps and/or a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp. Upload any dumps you find to the cloud and post aink to them here. I'll gladly take a look to see whether they contain anything useful.

Note that it could still be RAM related though..... :)
Hi Ubuysa,

I got another BSOD with the Critical Process Died...

Please see the Minidumps attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13gY1Wk6JmqzAZRKRV8ZebLLOfmrpXC2c/view?usp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/14CdnjtNf4Rri_t2KC-4ev7ic-wKjIUX6/view?usp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yL9hcPnvjW8bH5pPSpnXyLmQEHA_gqLK/view?usp=sharing