GPU Fan Speed

JSG10

Expert
Just been looking at my GPU figures.
GPU usage is currently only about 2-10% while idling and using IE and a couple of minor programs running on the desktop.
Temps are reporting at 41-43 degrees which is fine but my fan speed is at 40% at 1950rpm.
Seems a bit high? 40% usage while it's basically doing nothing. Is there any way to control the fan speed at all? I don't have a fan controller at the moment :(

Fear

Prolific Poster
I don't think there is anything wrong with that mate, mine is running slower at 30% and 38C but it's real cold in my room today plus i have a roomier case.

Gorman

Author Level
Nvidia fan profiles do tend to err on the side of caution nowadays

Nvidia 196.75 GPU Drivers Bugged, Causing Fans To Fail, Cards To Overheat
Mar 05, 2010 at 1:04 AM - Andrew Burnes - 56 Comments
A rather serious bug has been discovered in the recently released Nvidia 196.75 GPU drivers. So serious in fact, that it could cause your graphics card to be permanently damaged. As such, I'll put the warning in bold: downgrade immediately to the 196.21 drivers unless you want your GPU fans to slow to a crawl or stop altogether, causing your shiny, expensive video card to overheat and possibly suffer a permanent hardware failure.
Here's Nvidia's official statement, along with an extra warning from Blizzard:

We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime.
-Nvidia PR

We're getting reports where users are getting intermittent low FPS after installing these drivers. It seems that it is related to the fan control included in these drivers not working correctly and is causing the video card to overheat on 3D applications. This will affect Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft and StarCraft 2 Beta. Please uninstall the drivers and revert back to the older ones.

-Blizzard PR

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/5...Bugged-Causing-Fans-To-Fail-Cards-To-Overheat