Graphics Cards - Dual / Triple Monitor Setups

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
What kind of gpu would I need to have a dual monitor setup? I currently have a 3gb GTX 580, would this suffice 2 monitors? 1 through HDMI and 1 through dvi.. I also have a HDMI built in to the motherboard, would this use the intel graphics though?

any help is appreciated + i need 2 new monitors, so please try and find me 2 which are extremely good for value :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The GTX 580 will allow you to connect 2 monitors, I don't think you can use the HDMI connection from the motherboard when using a dedicated graphics card. Regarding monitors it depends on your budget.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Thanks :) So I don't need something like a 680 or anything like that atm :) I currently have the iiyama e2473hds from PCS

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I think most newer motherboards come with LucidVirtu MVP http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-mvp.shtml, which allows you to connect your monitors to either the mobo or the discrete GPU. You can check if your mobo is listed under the Where to buy section. In that case I reckon it wouldn't make a difference where you plug in your monitors.

If your mobo is not supported then I guess that you'll have to plug them into the GPU to benefit from it. I haven't got a compatible mobo so can't test it myself but I'm just throwing it out there.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Depends on the size. If you want to add 2 24" monitors to the one you already have then it should fit. The Haf X is 23cm wide and 24" screens are about 42cm wide so you'd have enough space.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Straight. I would guess that with a corner desk you'd have to sit in the middle which means that you'd have a bit of space on either side of the 3 screens but it might be a bit tight for the HafX. I'm just hypothesizing here so I may be wrong.
Best for you to find a desk you like and take the measurements yourself.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hey,.

i've got two 580's,

but from my experience, its best to connect both screens to the top gpu by only using DVI cables, for some reason the temps are better when both using dvi cables.

jwc

Bronze Level Poster
sorry to hijack this thread but ive just ordered a new desktop from here and was wondering if the graphics card in it would support 2 monitors. i have this card being fitted. sorry if this is a stupid question but im a complete neub!

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
sorry to hijack this thread but ive just ordered a new desktop from here and was wondering if the graphics card in it would support 2 monitors. i have this card being fitted. sorry if this is a stupid question but im a complete neub!

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Yes,it will support 2 monitors.

HCFC_CLARK

Bronze Level Poster

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
See dude, the thing is i don't really sit necessarily in the corner of my room? More like the centre... So therefore i need a straight desk and not a corner one.