Help with picking a new pc for £400

splex

Hi there. First off I've just discovered this site and find it and it's users to be very helpful.

I realise I could find a similar request by searching through the forum but after clicking on a few links it often says "replaced with identical components from different manufacturers."

I'm Steve and I'm not very knowledgeable about PCs, graphics cards and such. In the past I have bought packages that served me ok but gradually got slower and died. PBell, Tiny, then Dell. To be honest I loved the Amiga 600 I grew up with but yes times change.

Here is my request. I'm looking for a PC that can run modern games without slowing down. I'm not into the shootemups it's mostly Football Manager and possibly Starcraft 2. I've always been frustrated FM ran so slow on my machine and it was faster on pals desktops. I also browse the web, and would like to stream movies /watch downloaded content with no problems. I'm unsure about OS as I have an XP and Vista on my older machines and am I able to just use the product key from that and install on a new machine? Could be tricky seeing as there are no CDs the OS install is stored inside the comps. Also, I have a (as far as I can tell) decent DELL monitor so i can just recycle that and the keyboard, correct? Finally - the budget is a tight £450. I wouldn't know which graphics card to choose nor which RAM would be most suitable. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and configurations.
Steve

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
To be honest,if you want a "PC that can run modern games" I think your looking at a bit more than £450,especially as it looks like you're going to need an Operating System as well.

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
I don't know about Starcraft, but FM isn't demanding. Any PC should run it pretty easy. That said, I have a pretty high end PC and FM runs slow on mine, I guess it's all to how high your expectations are..