How fast is your internet according to Speed Test?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
haha your ping looked pretty awful as well mate, can you play online games alright still?

ran it on my pc wired ( other was on netbook )

2189363608.png

35 ping with wired, opposed to 80 with wifi

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
oh right, 35 is pretty good then, not really gonna notice 20ms difference between 15-35 although i imagine you would see some lag at 80

Mind you 20ms is 1/5 of a second which is quite a bit but i dont think its noticeable

Keedar

Expert
Now i know,when i shooting to somebody in bf3 and people dont have even hitmarks.People You are cheaters hahaha :tank:

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
For those of you winging about your slow internet, hopefully this will cheer you up!

It's an absolute pain! I might also point out, I am not downloading anything at the moment, my laptop is also the only device actually attached to my router at the moment! It is evening, but I don't ever see speeds above 0.5mbps. Occasionally we get 0.4 if we are lucky!

Edit, don't worry, got it to full size!

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
For those of you winging about your slow internet, hopefully this will cheer you up!

It's an absolute pain! I might also point out, I am not downloading anything at the moment, my laptop is also the only device actually attached to my router at the moment! It is evening, but I don't ever see speeds above 0.5mbps. Occasionally we get 0.4 if we are lucky!

Edit, don't worry, got it to full size!

erm, would you like to join our slow internet club?

Yamikotai

Expert
The upload speeds are far more than most users will need. Only thing you'd want it for is torrents and that's not a great option nowadays.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
The upload speeds are far more than most users will need. Only thing you'd want it for is torrents and that's not a great option nowadays.

Why is it not a good option? If you were talking about Limewire I'd agree but there's a huge choice in torrents. Or are you saying that from a "legal" POV?

Yamikotai

Expert
Yes, legal. With a combination of Netflix (with a VPN for US Netflix access) plus iPlayer, there's rarely a need for anything else.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Yes, legal. With a combination of Netflix (with a VPN for US Netflix access) plus iPlayer, there's rarely a need for anything else.

I had a feeling you'd say that. But using a VPN to circumvent the block is not legal as such either, since websites like Hulu and Netflix US have licensing agreements to stream content to people located in the US only. So you're technically breaching the copyright agreements, even if you pay for the service.

Also I only watch american tv shows, and even Netflix US doesn't have some of the most popular series, and even if they do they take ages to update.

I watch NCIS and Dexter amongst others. Both of them aren't available for streaming even though NCIS is one of the most popular shows in the US
Supernatural - looks like the audio doesn't work for the whole of season 7
Suits- again not available
Smallville - same even though the series ended a few years ago
Star Wars the clone wars - guess what? same thing

By compiling this list I realized that none of my viewing habits would be satisfied by your alternative. I could stream NCIS from the CBS website, again with a VPN, but that's about it. As for Dexter, I'd have to wait for the whole season to finish and then buy the DVDs or wait till the whole show terminates for it to become graciously available on Netflix.

My other choice is to download the latest episode just a few minutes after it's aired in the US, in HD using torrents. Which one do you think I choose? Legal alternatives are slowly making progress, but they have a long way to go to replace torrents :)