How long will it take

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Mine arrived today and all seems to be working well except the function key is not working with the hotkeys for things like turning the keyboard illumination on/off, turning number pad on/off, bluetooth on/off etc. Anyone know how to fix this?

When I made my comment about PCS cutting corners I was joking, although the building, testing and quality control did seem to happen a lot quicker than it says it usually takes on their flow chart :) .

I know PCS is a great company, I bought my desktop from them 3 years ago, it's still going strong and I've never had a problem with it.

What laptop did you get thrust_master?

scoboy

The delays are due to the weather causing supply chain and/or staffing issues, but to be fair the orders are still generally complete within the time frame outlined on the order page (1-6 days processing, < 1 week preproduction, etc). Also the order's dispatched guide does give a good indication of the production times (i.e. Laptops currently show 31.53% delivered within 7 days, 37.84% within 14 days, 77.48% within 21 days - average 14.26 days per order and given my laptop has just been dispatched on day 13, that's pretty accurate).

To be fair to PCS, their ordering system and subsequent tracking is pretty transparent and delivery seems to be within what can be considered fair and reasonable based on their estimates. No supply chain can be completely robust against unexpected weather issues - hell, half the country ground to a halt during the worst of it. ;)

What laptop did you get thrust_master?

I got this...

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3740QM (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
I got this...

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3740QM (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2nd Hard Disk
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Very nice!!! Cant wait to get mine.

For anyone else getting the same problem of the function key seeming not to work, I found the answer. The windows key and the function key are the wrong way round...so I have to use the windows key as the function key and vice versa.

bazastan

The delays are due to the weather causing supply chain and/or staffing issues, but to be fair the orders are still generally complete within the time frame outlined on the order page (1-6 days processing, < 1 week preproduction, etc). Also the order's dispatched guide does give a good indication of the production times (i.e. Laptops currently show 31.53% delivered within 7 days, 37.84% within 14 days, 77.48% within 21 days - average 14.26 days per order and given my laptop has just been dispatched on day 13, that's pretty accurate).

To be fair to PCS, their ordering system and subsequent tracking is pretty transparent and delivery seems to be within what can be considered fair and reasonable based on their estimates. No supply chain can be completely robust against unexpected weather issues - hell, half the country ground to a halt during the worst of it. ;)

Really, you think?! I have now been waiting almost 3 weeks and I am still at the pre-production stage!

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Really, you think?! I have now been waiting almost 3 weeks and I am still at the pre-production stage!

I feel for you mate.....I'm so glad I paid for the 3 day dispatch service. Ordered my vortex elite on Friday lunchtime, and got the text today telling me its been dispatched. Should get it tomorrow.

simper

Ok thanks, its my 34th birthday next Thursday and it would just be lovely to have it by then to be honest

Fingers crossed

simper

Would love to, but £39 seems a little steep now I have waited 10 working days, it could go into build tomorrow anyway and then I would have wasted £39

Or do you think it would be worth doing that?

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
Would love to, but £39 seems a little steep now I have waited 10 working days, it could go into build tomorrow anyway and then I would have wasted £39

Or do you think it would be worth doing that?
Only you can decide if it's worth it for you, of course, but I have to say that I would try and resist the temptation. If you have more money to spend then instead of paying the fast-track fee you could improve your spec and get a benefit for all the years you have the machine. Fast-track just gives a benefit for a few days (perhaps zero days, if it's about to be built anyway).

simper

Appreciate the honest responses, yeah would make more sense to be patient now I have waited this long

ScarySquirrel

I ordered on Tuesday this week, added 5 day fast track to it yesterday (Wednesday), and I got an email this morning saying it was built and ready for testing :)

Scotch

Gold Level Poster
I ordered on Tuesday this week, added 5 day fast track to it yesterday (Wednesday), and I got an email this morning saying it was built and ready for testing :)

ScarySquirrel. Wow thats quick if you have saturday postage could be a good chance of you getting it by saturday if you had that and live in close areas of uk