mobo: p6x58d-e
ram: 6gb kingston 1600 mhz
gfx: gtx 460 1gb
drive: 640 gb wd caviar green 3gb/s 64mb cache
opitcal: 24x dual layer dvd writer
psu: corsair hx 1000w
cooling: 22dba triple copper heatpipe cpu cooler
sound: onboard
extras: wireless N pci express card(£19), cheap keyboard/ mouse combo, silver warranty.

it's for gaming and some hefty photoshop work. Budget is £1200 ish.

I know the psu is overkill but, i was thinking of a sli/crossfire setup with the new cards that are due out later this year and next/ a couple of this gens better cardswhen the price drops and dont want to have to buy a new psu then.
Before you say just wait for the new cards and see what they need, i need the comp now as mine is very dead and this poor laptop can just about cope with explorer anymore and it just stops.

Sleinous

Author Level
Not bad, but maybe, go down to the i5 quad core, and a GTX 470 or atleast 465 (more CUDA cores than the 460 and photoshop LOVES CUDA cores :)

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
cheers for the fast reply.
should have mentioned that i am (was) running a 26" 1080p monitor and after looking at the some benchmarks the 460 does seem to struggle a bit at this res.
so i'll probably go for the 470, on a side note i read that this card is quite loud does anyone have experience of just how loud it is? The reason for asking is i work from home and have my pc in the lounge so noise could upset the wife.
As far as the i7-950 to the i5-760 change goes is there much difference in performance in win7? or does the turbo boost thingy make up some of the clock speed difference?

Sleinous

Author Level
cheers for the fast reply.
should have mentioned that i am (was) running a 26" 1080p monitor and after looking at the some benchmarks the 460 does seem to struggle a bit at this res.
so i'll probably go for the 470, on a side note i read that this card is quite loud does anyone have experience of just how loud it is? The reason for asking is i work from home and have my pc in the lounge so noise could upset the wife.
As far as the i7-950 to the i5-760 change goes is there much difference in performance in win7? or does the turbo boost thingy make up some of the clock speed difference?

noooo not more loud believers hehe, my GTX 470 is a metre away from me right now, I cant hear it, I can here all my HAF 932 fans :) Also, it does NOT get that hot in here lol. The turbo boost makes up for it, and its still quad core, I have a i7 930 at a lower clock, this thing beasts through anything already! What is essential is a 64mb cached HDD OR a 10000rpm drive OR a SSD, combined with a good GPU matching the games / designing you want to carry out, coupled with an adequate CPU for your intended usage, 4GB RAM or more on average.

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
so if i go as above but swap for:
i5-760, p7p55d-e pro, gtx 470, with either 8gb 1333 for £17 more or 4gb 1600 for £44 less
i should get better performance at 1080p both gaming and photoshop than the original setup i listed?
Will i see more difference with large photoshop files with the 8gb 1333 or the 4gb 1600?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The i7-950 is quite a lot better than the i5-760 and you could probably tell the difference between them but the i5-760 is a perfectly good processor which can handle both gaming and photoshop use quite well, 8GB of 1333mhz RAM would be better for you than 4GB of 1600mhz RAM.

Gorman

Author Level
I7 = triple channel hence the 3 x DDR modules, Dual channel CPU's would be 2 x whatever.

So for I7 its 3-6-12GB etc. For Dual Channel 2-4-8GB etc