INCOMING!!!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
had to laugh at this when i came across it, not sure if its been posted, this is speculation on a 4090 ti/titan graphics card, power usage that the leaker is speculating maximum board power 800W

picture of anyones house after running it full pelt ;)

Attachments

• 1676747548226.jpeg
    1676747548226.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 60

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thought I had posted this but guess it must have gotten blocked with the forum issues.

I guess this is sort of to be expected. I hope that this can be circumvented manually though and it's just a TDP ploy from NVidia. Not being allowed to have it all is a first in my experience.

In a way it's good as it'll stop people from over-speccing their CPU for gaming.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Probably around what was expected. I'm thinking the 7800X3D might be the one for me. I would like the productivity of the 79xxX3D but not at the cost of potential gaming.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Been looking around at the scarce 7900X3D reviews, managed to find one in Italian. Looks like it's been held back deliberately as it performs pretty much clock for clock in gaming with the 7950X3D. The productivity does come second best but the efficiency is even better. I'm really surprised by this.

I think what's most interesting, for me at least, is the layout. People were curious if the X3D stack would be limited to 8 cores, with the 7900 offering having some sort of weird 8+4 layout. Turns out it doesn't, the X3D stack is on top of a 6 core chip......

Which leads me to think....... 7600X3D anyone? :unsure: It makes absolute sense that this would be kept wayyyyyy under the radar as it would likely hammer 7800X3D sales if it were to come out. I'm thinking a late addition though, to eek out the last of those gaming sales. The 7600X3D would be a gaming bargain I think.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
TL;DR, IMO....

I think there's a clear reason why the X3D wasn't released in the AM4 platform on the bigger chips....... they don't make any sense.

If you want the best gaming chip available and don't care about cash, the 7950X3D is the one to go for. Other than that, it makes no sense at all as the difference in gaming is only really noticeable in very few titles as the FPS is already high enough for it not to matter. Where productivity is primary, with gaming secondary, the 7950X already has you covered.

The 7900X3D is an even worse position. I initially thought it was held back as it would trade blows with the 7950X3D........ it kind of does with gaming, but not enough to justify it's price. AMD are in an even worse position with this chip IMO though, the 7900 makes way more sense than either offering. For productivity it's middle of the road, for gaming it's middle of the road.... the only place it shines is efficiency, which the 7900 does a stellar job with anyway. Saving $100 compared to the 7950X3D is meaningless IMO. I would never opt for the 7900X3D over the 7950X3D for the sake of $100.

I want the best - 7950X3D
Productivity & Gaming - 7950X
Gaming - 7700 (so far)

There's something to the X3D, there's no doubt..... but it needs to be without compromise to make any sense in production. For gaming, the productivity can take a back seat.... hence why the 8 core offering will always make the most sense. Bring on the 7800X3D.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm reading around for FS2020 with the X3D chips and the results look insane. I've seen 4k gaming with DLSS on and the new 4090 tech and the reviewer was seeing 170fps with a 7950X paired with a 4090. That's quite incredible. I also seen a user state that they had a 3080 with a 7900X3D. From the 3900 CPU that they had previously they went from 60fps up to 136fps.

I'm really excited to see how the 7800X3D fairs as it could re-ignite my FS2020 passion :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Some interesting numbers coming for the mobile market from AMD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some interesting numbers coming for the mobile market from AMD

WHAT????? That's insane!!! Matching the 7900x on a mobile processor????

My word in heaven, I feel all swooney!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
130w isn't that much more what I would run my 6700k at on my Octane (125w was the maximum power limit). It sounded like a jet engine to get rid of the heat but that's some going considering how powerful it will be. I dare say the cooling has came on a little since then too.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
130w isn't that much more what I would run my 6700k at on my Octane (125w was the maximum power limit). It sounded like a jet engine to get rid of the heat but that's some going considering how powerful it will be. I dare say the cooling has came on a little since then too.
I wonder if a lot of new gen chassis will utilise watercooler systems like on the new TongFang Recoil series.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wonder if a lot of new gen chassis will utilise watercooler systems like on the new TongFang Recoil series.
I remember when Asus gave this a go (IIRC). Didn't actually realise it had taken off. Is it a powerpack thing again?

Not convinced that's an ideal solution as I would expect anyone who has the space for such a setup would have space for a desktop :D

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You've got to imagine that in most circumstances it'll be balancing a power budget between CPU and GPU. So in gaming it wouldn't be touching 130W. A mobile GPU can draw much more than that, so the cooling system should be able to cope.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I remember when Asus gave this a go (IIRC). Didn't actually realise it had taken off. Is it a powerpack thing again?

Not convinced that's an ideal solution as I would expect anyone who has the space for such a setup would have space for a desktop :D
1679425870932.png

It's a modular add on, bit fiddly to setup initially according to some reviews I've seen but after that it's just plug it in and off you go.

Quite noisy though with the pump running, even on idle.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Be interesting to see if these come to PCS. I didn't even realise the tech had taken off :D

The laptop offerings seem thin on the ground though. Looking at TongFang it seems they're Intel only as well?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Be interesting to see if these come to PCS. I didn't even realise the tech had taken off :D

The laptop offerings seem thin on the ground though. Looking at TongFang it seems they're Intel only as well?
They're on PCS now, the Recoil 16" and 17" both have it as an optional add on

Just does the CPU mind you, not GPU