Ionico Control Center Fan Settings Bugged

dvdtonelo

I would strongly caution against installing anything, especially drivers, supplied by someone you don't trust 100%. If you do install a driver (say) from someone other than PCS or the hardware vendor and it damages the hardware (which is possible) PCS will have grounds to void your warranty (that would be negligence on your part).

If a PCS build is not performing to specifications then please badger PCS and insist that they fix it. Please do not look for ad hoc third party workarounds, not if you want to keep your warranty anyway. :)
Fortunately these profiles files are simply .json files (pretty much just plain text), so the risk of malware it’s pretty much low.
And the risk of damaging the hardware should also be low because I compared the files before replacing and the original files had the values pretty messed up with temperatures above 100ºC and no fan values for GPU.

But yes we should always be very careful, and I thank you moderators for remembering this to the members of this forum.
Thankfully I got the files from a trustable and very active member of this forum.

Pablo M

Please note that the bios update from PCS on this issue fixes the problem.
Then, using control center 3.1.23.0 (download from the pc website) works just fine even on a clean windows installation.

On Linux, and previously to the fix the office mode was the loudest, while turbo was 30% max.
Again, the bios update fixes it, but office mode now runs the fans at more or less 40% max, which is not that quiet.
To date, I don't know a solution to control fans on linux.
As I mostly use Linux for work, this is kind of a regression to me, so I asked PCS why the would go 40% instead of 30% in office, they are checking.
They didn't solve it for me, I sent the laptop, they updated the bios, but when it arrived it had exactly the same problem, I still can't create a ventilation profile and the fans work as they want. Someone with Intel CPU does this happen to him? do you all have an AMD CPU?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It is not appropriate for anyone, except a PCS staff member or someone specifically authorised by PCS, to be posting files that allegedly fix or provide a workaround for issues with PCS builds that should properly be reported to PCS as a problem. This is to protect those less experienced and less knowledgeable users who may assume that because files are shared via the PCS forums they are somehow 'approved' by PCS, or who may not appreciate that some shared files may be specific to certain builds.

Please do not share files in this manner, unless you have sought PCS's prior approval to do so. We will continue to remove links to files of this type, persistent offenders may face sanctions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vergaro98

Super Star
I understand that we have to report it to pcs and that is risky to use profile by other user, but after some time that pcs doesn't offer a solution (when other seller had) I prefer to try to resolve by myself rather than keeping the GPU over 80-85°. I'm sure it's more dangerous to use the GPU always on that temps that try to use some profile provided by someone which I consider very competent on this site.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I understand that we have to report it to pcs and that is risky to use profile by other user, but after some time that pcs doesn't offer a solution (when other seller had) I prefer to try to resolve by myself rather than keeping the GPU over 80-85°. I'm sure it's more dangerous to use the GPU always on that temps that try to use some profile provided by someone which I consider very competent on this site.
You are welcome to do so, at your own risk. What is unacceptable is the public posting of such links and files. If you wish to go down that route, either discuss it via direct message or use another platform. A public thread on the forum is not the place for it.

Vergaro98

Super Star
For me what is unacceptable is that a company that sells even very high-end PCs is not able to manage certain problems in decent times. They should understand that I have not paid for a pc that half-works and that even over short periods such a high temperature on the gpu risks destroying it. This is unacceptable, not those who try to find a solution to their mistakes to make the pc work properly and avoid breaking it in 15 days.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For me what is unacceptable is that a company that sells even very high-end PCs is not able to manage certain problems in decent times. They should understand that I have not paid for a pc that half-works and that even over short periods such a high temperature on the gpu risks destroying it. This is unacceptable, not those who try to find a solution to their mistakes to make the pc work properly and avoid breaking it in 15 days.
And we would agree, TongFang need to address their quality issues, it’s been highlighted countless times. None of that changes anything in this thread though.

And no one is saying you can’t find solutions yourselves and we would endorse that, it’s just that this is not the right forum to post that publicly. Private is fine. I don’t see what’s so hard to understand about that.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I completely understand this, there’s obviously an inherent issue to be addressed with the laptop. It’s not the point that’s being made here though. @ubuysa summed up exactly why action has been taken by the moderation team in relation to this thread.

EDIT - It appears that I am likeminded, but slower at typing than @SpyderTracks 🤪

dvdtonelo

ok, I just had a remote connection with PCS team.
It wasn't easy for them to understand the issue (i.e. they were telling me it was normal for the fans to be silent and agressive in turbo mode, no matter what I said about the fans not ramping up or down despite the temperatures).
But in the end I think they understood the problem when they tried to change the fan curves.
I asked them if there were new bios available (mine is a Ionico 15) but told me mine had the latest one they were using (they prepared an Ionico 15 yesterday and had the same bios version).

They told me to ask from time to time if there new bios available.

I think the users here facing this problem should post their specs, might help to know if this affects just some specific users (for example, only in AMD machines or if there are also issues with Intel laptops).

My laptop specs:
Ionico 15 2021 model with AMD 5900hx + nvidia 3070
Bios version N.1.13A04
EC version 1.23.00.00

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also another update.
Lvan finally answered in private messages and he told that a bios update fixed the problem for him (Ionico 17).

For those facing this problem, replacing the fan profiles files in my control center folder should fix the problem.
Of course you should only do this if you are aware of the risks like the mods said, and preferably with the files from someone trustable (I got mine from Macco26 and I am very thankful to him because it worked like a charm)
I advise to replace only the content of the "C:\Program Files\OEM\Control Center\UniwillService\MyControlCenter\UserFanTables" because the rest of the files might not be suitable.
After replacing the files you just need to restart the PC and the problem should be fixed.

Also, all those affected with this problem should contact PCS team. Having more complains they get the easier should be for us to get a proper fix.
Well said 👍🏼

Also another update.
Lvan finally answered in private messages and he told that a bios update fixed the problem for him (Ionico 17).

For those facing this problem, replacing the fan profiles files in my control center folder should fix the problem.
Of course you should only do this if you are aware of the risks like the mods said, and preferably with the files from someone trustable (I got mine from Macco26 and I am very thankful to him because it worked like a charm)
I advise to replace only the content of the "C:\Program Files\OEM\Control Center\UniwillService\MyControlCenter\UserFanTables" because the rest of the files might not be suitable.
After replacing the files you just need to restart the PC and the problem should be fixed.

Also, all those affected with this problem should contact PCS team. Having more complains they get the easier should be for us to get a proper fix.
Totally agree, experiencing the same issue and contacted them right now.

From my perspective, this should not happen as the laptops "should" be tested, including the fans I'd say. Especially for mid/high-end laptops, I would have expected a better testing phase. Waiting for their reply.

The latest BIOS update seems to fix the issue. Please contact PCS Tech support. Lvan's solution was a temporary fix.
I found calling them to be quicker. They logged onto my machine and placed the update files onto my desktop with instructions :)
Unfortunately, it seems that I already have the latest BIOS:

BIOS Version is N.1.13A04
EC Version is 1.23.00.00

Their last suggestion is to change the fan settings in the BIOS ?! Anyway I do not see any option there about Fan Speed Control.

(Also, I think there might be something wrong with the CPU thermal paste perhaps, the temperature gets just too high even with a very low workload.)

Trying to call both Italian and UK numbers, sending emails to both UK and Italian sites, I won't surrender!

Grossi

Unfortunately, it seems that I already have the latest BIOS:

BIOS Version is N.1.13A04
EC Version is 1.23.00.00

Their last suggestion is to change the fan settings in the BIOS ?! Anyway I do not see any option there about Fan Speed Control.

(Also, I think there might be something wrong with the CPU thermal paste perhaps, the temperature gets just too high even with a very low workload.)

Trying to call both Italian and UK numbers, sending emails to both UK and Italian sites, I won't surrender!

Yes, keep trying.
I now have the below, but the versions may be suited to my spec :)

BIOS Version is N.1.20A07
EC Version is 1.26.00.00