Is my desktop dying?

bigben

Master Poster
Hi,
For the last few weeks I've been having some issues with my rig (specs in sig). Things started happening in the following order:
1. HDD grinding away slowly and noisily. - HDD
2. Crashing during the swirly loading windows screen. - SSD 1
3. Crashing trying to load up games (eg. Thief) - First on HDD then moved to SSD 2
4. Crashing during games (eg. Thief) - First on HDD then moved to SSD 2
5. Yesterday lunchtime the LED fans were lighting up, doing one revolution, then turning off again, repeatedly.
6. Last night, the power button wouldn't do anything, so unplugged everything at the back.
7. Today lunchtime, plugged everything back in and started properly first time.
8. Tonight, tried to boot 4 times and crashed on swirly windows loading screen everytime, did system restore - now I have 1 important windows update which may or may not have something to do with my issues?

First assumption was that HDD was getting old and maybe about to die, however then I started getting the issues with Windows starting which is nothing to do with the HDD.

I've had a look inside and it isn't very dusty, I don't really have time to give it a blow out at the moment though.

Does anybody have any ideas what's causing my problems? Thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You could try giving technical support a call. As a last resort I would try a clean installation of windows

bigben

Master Poster
Thanks, to be honest I'd probably feel a little cheeky ringing tech support now as quite a lot of my rig isn't from PCS (2 graphics cards, soundcard, PSU, one of the SSDs...)

With regards to clean installation of windows, I assume I lose everything on SSD 1? If so, when I reinstall steam would I have to redownload all the games that are on SSD 2 and HDD or will Steam be able to reuse the old files? That would be a real pain the bum as my internet connection is pants...

Thanks again.

bigben

Master Poster
Finally got a chance to blow it out yesterday. There was hardly any dust in there at all but since then I haven't had any issues.
Genuinely surprised as I've had other (much lower end) computers that have had loads more dust in that still worked ok (like the one is this thread)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I'd try re seating everything you can, connectors, components, just whatever you can get at if it happens again. Could be a result of something not connecting properly. During the clean out you could have just connected something up again, be it a loose wire or whatever.