Just received my PC, doesnt work.

zluu

After waiting for a month to get my PC I was eager to try it... of course that would have been too good.

So I put it on my desk, I plug the very same cables that are plugged on my old PC:

-one dvi for the monitor (cable is vga but it has a dvi adaptator)

-two external hdds on the usb ports

-one rj45 network cable that goes to the router/modem

-the wireless usb thingy that comes with the logitech mouse/keyboard combo that was in the package.

- the power plug that was in the package

I switch on the power on the back, push the power button.

I get a few clicky noises, fan noise... but nothing appears on the screen, it doesnt react at all. no bios nothing.

after a while I get a periodic wooshing fan noise, quite loud, it continues like that forever and theres still nothing on the screen.

I don't know what to do, dunno if I can open the case to see what happens more closely..

from my experience a looping fan noise either means faulty motherboard or faulty graphic card; or something not being plugged inside... hope somebody from PCS can help.

No need to say I find this unnacceptable, I'm trying to keep my calm for now, hoping this can be resolved easily...

Fear

Prolific Poster
I don't know what to do, dunno if I can open the case to see what happens more closely..

Erm just a quick question have you not opened the case at all sometimes they put packing foam inside to protect against knocks in transport, there is normally a note on the side of the PC warning you to check.

Fear

Prolific Poster
Well that explains why there was no warning to remove the packing foam then, does everything look to be where it should be ? are there any cables hanging loose ?

Whats your full spec ?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
try removing the external hard drives on boot up, worth a try although should be getting further if its to do with boot up, make sure the wires are plugged into the PSU as well (turn power off first)

zluu

cables seem correctly plugged, loose bits are tidied in the back.

here's the spec.

- FRACTAL DESIGN R3 - BLACK PEARL CASE
- AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
- ASUS® M5A87: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
- 8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
- 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6970 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
- 240GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 500MB/sW)
- 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
- INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
- CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)
- SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
- ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
- ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
- 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
did you try taking out the USB drives? and it may actually be to do with the OCZ drive, the vertex ones have had tonnes of problems although this doesnt seem likely

zluu

I'm kinda reluctant to try plugging unplugging stuff until I hear from PCS. I'll try running the pc again later tonight with the case open to see in more detail what is powered or not.

one thing I can add is that when I switch on the PC the power switch led doesn't turn on, the dvd writer led turns on briefly then goes off, and the memory card reader has a red led on all along.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
its only the usb drives which you plugged in yourself and wont do any harm and certainly worth a try just while you wait, i wouldnt lead you into anything that could further affect your PC and then affect your warranty

zluu

not plugging the usb hdds? I'll try it later tonight. will post the result here after I do.

zluu

right, I turned on the PC with just the monitor plugged in, no changes, still no sign of any kind of the bios. I also saw that it is the graphic card that makes a weird periodic fan noise. Broken graphic card?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Does look like a faulty graphics card,
maybe worth checking connections &/or reseating it before calling PCS.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Does your motherboard have a onboard GPU? If so, try simply removing the GPU and trying it without it?

But before that, try what Vanthus said and reseat the GPU, might've been knocked a tiny bit during transit.

zluu

does it void the warranty if I start moving things inside?

anyway I won't be able to try it until this evening since I'm at work, can't even give PCS a phone call until saturday. the PC of my dreams is turning into a nightmare.

Rakk

The Awesome
does it void the warranty if I start moving things inside?

Nope, you are allowed to take things out and put things back in, though it's normally wise to ground yourself on something first, like the PC case, just to make sure you get rid of any static electricity.

Copious

Bronze Level Poster
When you get home I would do as vanthus has suggested, turn off the power and unplug the power lead, touch the psu to earth yourself and firmly press the GPU to make sure it is seated correctly. Plug the power lead back in and turn on, fingers crossed this should resolve your problems.

zluu

haven't tried anything yet cause I still didn't get any reply from PCS in either this thread or the email I sent.

Rage is out this week end, it's one of the games I especially bought this PC for so would be nice to hear from PCs asap.

On a side note, is it possible to get a refund if the PC is faulty rather than having it repaired?
because the second I know something is indeed broken, I enter the worst case scenario, which is to wait god knows how long for PCs to repair it and with my luck find out that it still doesn't work. And by the time I get a working PC it's already 2012, the pc is already outdated and I'd have missed bf3, skyrim, rage... I'd rather get my money back asap and upgrade my pc myself.

Fear

Prolific Poster
To get a instant response from PCS on something you need to phone them as the forums are not an official form of support and it normally takes a day or 2 for e-mails depends how busy they are so could be longer. As for asking about a refund i think you would at least have to give them the oppertunity to put things right before they would even consider it.