Just received your new computer...what should you do first?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so please let me know if I've made a mistake.

My PC moved into "Quality Control" this morning, so hopefully I'll be unboxing it later this week :D This got me thinking about what I would do next...

Well obviously I'll check to make sure everything that I've have ordered is actually in the box, but then what? My initial thoughts were to install Crysis or some other resource hungry game and put the machine through it's paces but then I started wondering if there was a more structured way of approaching this.

Does anyone here run any tests on their computer to make sure that the CPU, memory, HDD are all working as expected when you first get it? If so what tests do you run? Do you use a check list of procedures that you follow so that you can satisfy yourself that the computer is sound or pinpoint any potential problems?

I'm also wondering if it is possible to find out what sort of test scripts the PCS folks use during the "Testing" and "Quality Control" phases. Maybe the results from these tests can be sent to the customer (along with the test script) so that they can run the tests themselves and compare the results, maybe highlight any issues etc?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Yeah my initial plan was a few hours of crysis (or equivalent), what sort of routine do the PCS testers follow...or do they just spend 1-3 days blowing up aliens :D :D :D

Gorman

Author Level
We use software which is mostly automated to create load and reboot repeatedly etc, its not availiable elsewhere so no good for home tests. Each machine comes with a report on the desktop though.

Gorman

Author Level
unfortunately im out of here in 10 mins, so if no one beats me to it i can post one tomorrow

essjayar

First thing I do is copy over my old PC... I expect a PC coming from the manufacturers to already be working fine :)

Basically, I'll throw in the HDD's off my old PC and install all the software I usually use, then make a backup of this standard machine.

Of course, won't be able to resist playing Crysis2 (played Crysis to death) and other stuff to death.

Then, sadly, it'll be mostly used for the web. All that tech, to browse the web.... must be crazy lol.

LinearHD

Rising Star
I think this should be a pretty decent checklist while running CPU-Z and GPU-Z (monitoring programs):
2 hours of Prime95
1 hour of the Heaven Benchmark
*reboot*
3DMark11
SuperPi
Memtest
*reboot*
If it works fine after this = success!!

Seedsy

Bronze Level Poster
My Report

This is my report from my new PC recived today. (Pics + Vid tommorow)

Diagnostic report for your machine

Date: 6/7/2011
WST: Version 2.1 Pro. Build: 5169

Dear Customer,

Your machine was tested by Ultra-X, Inc. The test results are displayed below:

WST Version:Version 2.1 Pro. Build: 5169
Windows Stress Test x64

Start:6/6/2011 4:06:04 PM
Processor Test: PASS
Motherboard Test: PASS
Driver(s) Test: PASS
Memory Test: PASS
Graphics Test: PASS
Media Test: PASS
Network Test: SKIP
Port(s) Test: SKIP
Printer(s) Test: SKIP
USB Test: PASS
Physical Drive Test: SKIP
CD Burn Test: SKIP
Reboot Loops: 100

End: 6/7/2011 7:27:42 AM
Duration: 15:21:38

System Inventory
Motherboard
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Product / Model: P8H67-M LX
System Serial#: MF70B3G08502995
BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version / Date: 03/23/2011
SMBIOS Version: 2.6

Processor(s)
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Vendor ID String: GenuineIntel
Speed: 3100 MHz
Vendor Name: Intel Corporation
Total Number of Processor: 4

Memory
Total Physicel Memory: 8.0 Gb
Available Physical Memory: 7.1 Gb (7,628,849,152 bytes)
Page File Size: 16.0 Gb (17,140,912,128 bytes)

Driver(s)
Drive #0 Mfr/Model: WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1
Serial: 7502d244347565140553032313131303
Size: 931.51 Gb
Drive #1 Mfr/Model: Generic- SD/MMC
Serial:
Size: 0.00 Kb
Drive #2 Mfr/Model: Generic- Compact Flash
Serial:
Drive #3 Mfr/Model: Generic- SM/xD-Picture
Serial:
Drive #4 Mfr/Model: Generic- MS/MS-Pro
Serial:

Audio / Video / Display
Audio Adapter: Information Not Available
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
Display: Generic Non-PnP Monitor

Peripherals
COM Port(s): Information Not Available
LPT Port(s): Information Not Available
USB Port(s): Information Not Available
1394 Firewire Port(s): Information Not Available

Operation System
O/S Name: Microsoft Windows 7
Build / Service Pack: 6.1.7601 / Service Pack 1

Security Update Protection
Installed Firewall: Information Not Available
Firewall: Information Not Available
Installed Anti-Virus: Information Not Available
Anti-Virus: Information Not Available
Anti-Virus Update: Information Not Available

Hey thanks for the replies. LinearHD, I think I'll give your check list a go, it's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Seedsy, thanks for showing me a sample report. I thought it would show more info like min/max temps and stuff.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I think this should be a pretty decent checklist while running CPU-Z and GPU-Z (monitoring programs):
2 hours of Prime95
1 hour of the Heaven Benchmark
*reboot*
3DMark11
SuperPi
Memtest
*reboot*
If it works fine after this = success!!

I have no idea what any of that meant, but it sounds technical and as such must be a good idea.

I just plugged mine in and started using it... :D

MrShteeeve

Yeah I didn't do far from what Linear did, I left prime95 running for a few hours, heaven etc, it's a good way to test the pc, mine passed thank god Obviously haha :)

LinearHD

Rising Star
I have no idea what any of that meant, but it sounds technical and as such must be a good idea.

I just plugged mine in and started using it... :D

LMAO they're just benchmarking programs designed to push your hardware to the limit, and if you can run maxed out for a few hours then you're good, because unless you're using benchmarking programs it's almost impossible to get 100% load with anything else.