Laptop problems

Buzz

Master
In your Bios can you see anything like

Initiate Graphics adapter ?? If so is this set to PCIE/PCI ??

clancy2k

Bronze Level Poster
Nvidia Optimus sounds more trouble than it's worth if this is the sort of thing that can happen.. Will see how i get on with it when i get my GTX 675m laptop.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Well i had no idea about the optimus would effect my laptop but hopefully i can get it fixed,for the buzz There is something when i load up the laptop that says
realteck pcie family controller series something and then says media test failure,Check cable so is that anything to do with it ?

Buzz

Master
Hummm

What Boot order do you have set in the BIOS?? Other then crashing game do you have any other issues with the Hard Drive/system ?

Try removing the Drive and putting back in again making sure all cables are in correct and make sure your system drive is 1st boot.

Take out the battery and press and hold the power button in for at least 30 seconds to drain all its power. Put battery back in, and try.

And last make sure IE9 has Compatibility View set. (just something I saw someone mention) Not sure if has anything to do with it tho.

If that fails try booting to safe mode with networking and download the graphics drivers again and install.

Last edited:

Finn

Enthusiast
I have to ask, and i'm not having a go but what purpose did you get the laptop for?

I ask because after your last thread about trying to install linux and it not working, and now you're having problems with games, I cant help feeling that if you has just purchased the laptop with an OS, it would all have been setup by PCS and be working fine.

I'm guessing, since you sound quite young and from this thread, that you mainly want to play games on it in which case why on earth did you want to put linux on it? Linux might be good for some things but gaming isnt one of them. The number of decent commercial games that will run on linux can be counted on one hand and laptop linux drivers tend to be experiemental at best.

As to your problem, although as I said above I havent used it first hand, according to this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...mus-any-way-manually-switch-between-gpus.html there should be an entry if you right click an executable to run with the nvidia gpu, and also an option in the nvidia control panel. Does doing either of these things work?

jonny123

Bright Spark
I have to ask, and i'm not having a go but what purpose did you get the laptop for?

I ask because after your last thread about trying to install linux and it not working, and now you're having problems with games, I cant help feeling that if you has just purchased the laptop with an OS, it would all have been setup by PCS and be working fine.

I'm guessing, since you sound quite young and from this thread, that you mainly want to play games on it in which case why on earth did you want to put linux on it? Linux might be good for some things but gaming isnt one of them. The number of decent commercial games that will run on linux can be counted on one hand and laptop linux drivers tend to be experiemental at best.

As to your problem, although as I said above I havent used it first hand, according to this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...mus-any-way-manually-switch-between-gpus.html there should be an entry if you right click an executable to run with the nvidia gpu, and also an option in the nvidia control panel. Does doing either of these things work?

I bought it for games and the reason i was going to use linux was that alot of friends use it and say they will not use windows 7 again because they like linux,I have windows 7 on it now anyway,And no the ways mentioned in the video has done nothing

jonny123

Bright Spark
Also another thing i have noticed is that i have 8gb ram but in the computer properties it says 8gb (3.49gb usable) Any ideas why?

Maestro

3.49gb is pretty much the exact amount of ram you would have available if using windows 32 bit. Is the 64bit you have genuine and is it activated?

clancy2k

Bronze Level Poster
I bought it for games and the reason i was going to use linux was that alot of friends use it and say they will not use windows 7 again because they like linux,I have windows 7 on it now anyway,And no the ways mentioned in the video has done nothing

You friends were obviously trolling you, there is absolutly no problem with windows 7 when it comes to gaming. and linux is absolutly not suitable for gaming.

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Also another thing i have noticed is that i have 8gb ram but in the computer properties it says 8gb (3.49gb usable) Any ideas why?

Are you running windows 7 32Bit?

3.49gb is pretty much the exact amount of ram you would have available if using windows 32 bit. Is the 64bit you have genuine and is it activated?

This was my thoughts exactly...

@jonny123 seems you would save an awful lot of trouble if you just went and got a new copy of windows. Maybe even see if you could send back to PCS to put it on and buy a copy from them, because its very obvious you have/had so many issues so far with the comp over not getting windows on it.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Well it seems it would be easier if i just asked pcs to do it so I might just have to send it back ask pcs to install a os and if everythings all fine ill just buy a os off them.

Agito

Silver Level Poster
What browser are you using to launch BF3? I had an issue with BF3 just like you. But then I took some googling to the knee. I dug up that BF3 (as the multiplayer needs to be launched through a browser) is incompatible with Chrome. Ever since I started using Firefox for battle log, not a single crash has occured.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Im using firefox :p,I think im just ganna see if i can send it back and buy a windows 7 os off them but im hoping i can send it back,They install the os on it to make sure theres no problems on there.As long as thats ok with pcs.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Hey guys,Bought win 7 off pcs and did a check and was wondering if this is good for my spec?
p2341 3d marks
graphics score-2120
physics score-6470
combined score-1992
graphics test 1-9.86 fps
graphics test 2-10.03 fps
graphics test 3-12.6 fps
graphics test 4-6.52 fps
physics test-20.54 fps
combined test-9.27 fps

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hey guys,Bought win 7 off pcs and did a check and was wondering if this is good for my spec?
p2341 3d marks
graphics score-2120
physics score-6470
combined score-1992
graphics test 1-9.86 fps
graphics test 2-10.03 fps
graphics test 3-12.6 fps
graphics test 4-6.52 fps
physics test-20.54 fps
combined test-9.27 fps

Can you post the link?

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
Yup, looking a lot more correct at this point.

You should probably also download one of these programs: evga precision, msi afterburner, or nvidia system tools and raise the clocks of your gtx 570m from 575/1070/1150 to at least to gtx 670m (exactly same chip) 598/1196/1500 or even to gtx 580m (still same chip, more shaders unlocked) 620/1240/1500 [core/sharder/memory]

This can't be even called an OC because it's effectively raising the clocks to the level that the chip was designed to run at, and it should bring you 3dmark11 and game performance up a nice 20% or so.