Laptop problems

keynes

Multiverse Poster
This can't be even called an OC because it's effectively raising the clocks to the level that the chip was designed to run at, and it should bring you 3dmark11 and game performance up a nice 20% or so.

I think that if there is an alteration in the clock speeds of the GPU it could void the warranty.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
that is true in theory, but how do you suppose anyone can check software based overclock of a GPU that resets every restart on a dead card(and which without voltage modification will crash the display driver way before doing damage to the gpu itself)

Edit: And it would be quite funny if that were to happen should you raise the clocks of GTX570m to GTX670m levels because we are speaking of exactly the same card with a different name.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
that is true in theory, but how do you suppose anyone can check software based overclock of a GPU that resets every restart on a dead card(and which without voltage modification will crash the display driver way before doing damage to the gpu itself)

Edit: And it would be quite funny if that were to happen should you raise the clocks of GTX570m to GTX670m levels because we are speaking of exactly the same card with a different name.

I have no idea regarding the software. I was also curious about changing the clock speeds of my gpu and contacted Nvidia to clarify the warranty regarding a change of those and was adviced not to do it or it could void the warranty. I have no knowledge regarding the GTX570m and GTX670m but if it was me I would just look for clarification from the retailer before attempting to change the clock speeds.

Buzz

Master
Personally I wouldnt overclock the GPU unless it was out of warranty or was having trouble running games. I would overclock the CPU yes, not the GPU. If games work then great. Overclocking wont change much at all. You may get a performance increase but is it needed? Its not been for me so far anyway with a single 560TI.. And as GPU's run very hot especially running games along with the heat already in the comp from CPU etc etc etc, for me OC the GPU is just for people who wanna get high benchmark results.

I do however edit the Nvidia Drivers settings to perform better for individual games which along side my CPU overclock works great.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Well i was told that the 570 should be able to handle most games on high anyway?,Im downloading bf3 on it (Ganna take a few days -.-) and hopefully it will be running smoothly and no need for a overclock and after over 2 months of me not being able to use my laptop due to problems i just wanna start using it now anyway and wouldent take the risk.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Just looking over a old thread i seen a while ago and we have practicaly the same spec apart from i have a extra hdd (He just has a ssd,I have a ssd and a 1tb scorpio black and he has 4gb ram and i have 8) and his 3dmark score is P2663 compared to my p2341 3d marks is there any reason for this?,I thought they would be the same speed?. (Not realy sure on how much the difference makes just thought id point it out to see if theres anything i can do).

Buzz

Master
Lot of things come into play with 3DMark mate, its not just the GPU.

The processor, how many tvs/monitors you have hooked up, Overclocking etc etc etc

Its very rare scores would be identical

jonny123

Bright Spark
Hmm well we have the same cpu etc apart from i have more ram and another hdd,He didnt mention he overclocked either :S.Anyway thanks and another question (Lol sorry :p ) is how much space does win 7 64 bit take up? on my 120gb ssd i currently have 69gb free of 111gb and all thats on there is windows 7 ?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
There are two files in particular that can take up a lot of space, the system swap file (page file)
and hibernation file, both of which are hidden by default.
Some people,especially with SSD's move the page file to another drive,
The hibernation can be disabled if you dont require it.
to turn off hibernation,Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
Type exit and then press enter to close the Command Prompt window.
this can save you a 5 or 6 GB.

Last edited:

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ok this seems like a stupid question but im going to ask it anyway is the hibernation file just to hibernate your pc?
And thanks if the file is not needed ill do what you said thanks

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ok this seems like a stupid question but im going to ask it anyway is the hibernation file just to hibernate your pc?
Yes,thing is your laptop wont go into hibernation when battery level drops.

Last edited:

dangro474

Bright Spark
Please define lagging; are you able to track your framerate with Fraps or a similar program?

If so please let me know what sort of framerates you get and which level of the game you experience them on.

If oyu mean sudden shudders or sudden instant performance drops, this could be due to using vsync, as if for a moment your FPS drops below 60, it would plummet to 30 for a split second before raising back to 60, resulting in a frustrating momentary slowdown.

Notebookcheck states that the average frame rate in Battlefield 3 in medium settings is 58.6, but there are undoubtably moments at which it may drop to 20.

Last edited:

jonny123

Bright Spark
Its just not smooth when playing the game,Nah i havent got fraps is there a free program i can use?. and no its not sudden performance drop (Although it does get worse at points on differerent games) its just not playing smooth at all.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Oh ok awsome,Im not on my laptop now but when i wake up tommorow i will download and post the fps im getting,Thanks.