Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I watched Apocalypse Now far too late. Same with the Deer Hunter and Deliverance. I had no real appreciation for any of them other than knowing that I should like them.

Full Metal Jacket though.... now there's a movie. Absolutely love it, and for a more tongue in cheek approach..... Heartbreak Ridge.

I need to give Platoon another go too. I was too young to enjoy it when it was released, I did watch it but remember being bored as I was only a kid.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I love the story of how R. Lee Ermey got his initial roles in movies, apparently he’d use his military experience to get hired as a technical director and then convince the filmmaker that he should be acting in them.

He supposedly persuaded Kubrick to cast him in Full Metal Jacket by making a homemade audition tape that showed him screaming insults at the camera for a full five minutes as tennis balls and oranges were lobbed at his head, without flinching once.

3280A753-1465-4A9B-A2C1-762E4D835782.jpeg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I love the story of how R. Lee Ermey got his initial roles in movies, apparently he’d use his military experience to get hired as a technical director and then convince the filmmaker that he should be acting in them.

He supposedly persuaded Kubrick to cast him in Full Metal Jacket by making a homemade audition tape that showed him screaming insults at the camera for a full five minutes as tennis balls and oranges were lobbed at his head, without flinching once.

View attachment 34497
I read something similar years ago. It's funny now though as there's just no-one else who could have ever played that part.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Was always fond of Hamburger Hill too

I rewatched Platoon again recently and honestly though it was a bit on the nose, a lot of black and white style characters who they tried to portray as grey, it just didn't land in some sense as much as I remembered it. Still a solid film though

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Watched Nope at the weekend, was an interesting one. Definitely enjoyed it and it was laced with subtext like Peele always does, recommend this one for any of the UFO/UAP geeks

I watched it over the weekend too. It did that "Peele" thing where it creeps me out for no reason.

I think it's the silence that does it. Nope, in particular, reminded me of how I felt with the War of the Worlds remake. It was the sounds that really got a reaction from me (not so much the score, just the SFX).

I had more questions than answers at the end of the movie, but that's how these Peele things go. They're like feature length Black Mirrors :ROFLMAO: Rarely a happy ending and filled with questions!

But yes..... I enjoyed it. It's not typical and it doesn't get wrapped up in a bow, it's unsettling, under-acted and thought provoking. If that's your thing, it's definitely worth a watch.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I watched it over the weekend too. It did that "Peele" thing where it creeps me out for no reason.

I think it's the silence that does it. Nope, in particular, reminded me of how I felt with the War of the Worlds remake. It was the sounds that really got a reaction from me (not so much the score, just the SFX).

I had more questions than answers at the end of the movie, but that's how these Peele things go. They're like feature length Black Mirrors :ROFLMAO: Rarely a happy ending and filled with questions!

But yes..... I enjoyed it. It's not typical and it doesn't get wrapped up in a bow, it's unsettling, under-acted and thought provoking. If that's your thing, it's definitely worth a watch.
Did you pick up on the massive flood of subtext throughout the whole movie? It's so in your face that it's actually hard to notice at times, it seems like every interaction screamed animalistic and observant. Everything was about how animals interact with one another and that constant threat with fight or flight reaction ready to go

The diner scene with the guys fighting outside but the main character literally just staring with no reaction what so ever kind of highlighted it for me. Couldn't not notice it after that but I loved the way he did it, forced me to reframe the movie

Also that barn scene one of the top ten goosebump inducing scenes I've seen in years

On another note watched two episodes of Echoes on Netflix at her sisters recommendation, I say two episodes but I checked out pretty early in the second I don't think I'll watch anymore. I watched a movie about an alien and liked it but this was too far fetched for me, wouldn't recommend

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Did you pick up on the massive flood of subtext throughout the whole movie? It's so in your face that it's actually hard to notice at times, it seems like every interaction screamed animalistic and observant. Everything was about how animals interact with one another and that constant threat with fight or flight reaction ready to go

The diner scene with the guys fighting outside but the main character literally just staring with no reaction what so ever kind of highlighted it for me. Couldn't not notice it after that but I loved the way he did it, forced me to reframe the movie

Also that barn scene one of the top ten goosebump inducing scenes I've seen in years

On another note watched two episodes of Echoes on Netflix at her sisters recommendation, I say two episodes but I checked out pretty early in the second I don't think I'll watch anymore. I watched a movie about an alien and liked it but this was too far fetched for me, wouldn't recommend

I think it's about wayyyyyy more to be honest. I think the clue is actually in the name "Nope" as just when you think you've determined the undertone, "Nope" it's something else.

I actually think they've been a little too clever with it, as it pulled me in different directions throughout. It's good in a way as I think it will need multiple viewings to get a proper handle on...... but on the other hand I don't think it really offers itself to too may re-viewings as the premise is pretty straight forward.

Look at the obsession with getting the right shot - Film making.
Look at the constant surveillance and TMz invasion - Privacy
The Gordy back story, UFO behaviour, horse behaviour and character rationale - Animalistic
There's a little push towards race but I don't know my history well enough to know what it was. I don't think it was racism though.
Capitalism? Maybe? - Struggling with the ranch, best horses being bought out. No return in sight for the little guy. Large business with the share of surveillance options, etc.

Honestly, there was so much in there, it's difficult to pick out just one thread of subtext.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think it's about wayyyyyy more to be honest. I think the clue is actually in the name "Nope" as just when you think you've determined the undertone, "Nope" it's something else.

I actually think they've been a little too clever with it, as it pulled me in different directions throughout. It's good in a way as I think it will need multiple viewings to get a proper handle on...... but on the other hand I don't think it really offers itself to too may re-viewings as the premise is pretty straight forward.

Look at the obsession with getting the right shot - Film making.
Look at the constant surveillance and TMz invasion - Privacy
The Gordy back story, UFO behaviour, horse behaviour and character rationale - Animalistic
There's a little push towards race but I don't know my history well enough to know what it was. I don't think it was racism though.
Capitalism? Maybe? - Struggling with the ranch, best horses being bought out. No return in sight for the little guy. Large business with the share of surveillance options, etc.

Honestly, there was so much in there, it's difficult to pick out just one thread of subtext.
Yeah all of this absolutely true, it's certainly dense and trying to do too much is a definite criticism I'd agree with. I still enjoyed it and will rewatch I'm sure but there is so much going on with so very little actually happening on screen I can see why it's getting such hit and miss reviews and ratings

I think the animalistic side is just something I picked up really early in the movie with Gordy that I kind of honed in on it and helped focus my attention a little

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wanted to know the whole Gordy story right from the off. I bet you any money that was a deliberate subtext too. To show how peripheral vision can be lost when distracted.

Honestly no idea though. I think it would require an interview with Peele that would last longer than the movie to get the answers :ROFLMAO:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I wanted to know the whole Gordy story right from the off. I bet you any money that was a deliberate subtext too. To show how peripheral vision can be lost when distracted.

Honestly no idea though. I think it would require an interview with Peele that would last longer than the movie to get the answers :ROFLMAO:
I hope he doesn't answer anything, I always feel like the questions are the point and the answers would ruin that. I'd be happier if he said nothing

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Person of interest showing on freevee

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've hammered Sandman today. Really interesting show, not at all what I expected. There are elements that are adult and risqué, there are elements that are quite childish. Not really sure where it fits to be honest.

I'm enjoying it, but not quite hooked yet.