Long Pre-Production time?

zubmuk

But you were never told you'd get it in less time... that's kinda my point :)

i actually was

"Apologies for the delay on your order, due to an influx of orders we have had a slight backlog to clear on the orders which has resulted in longer times getting them into building. Once built they are out in 2 days so it should be with you mid this week."

that email was sent to me on 3rd February and my order went went into testing today. i aint got no issue waiting for my order because like u said before its worth the wait just want to no whats going on with my order.

Last edited:

steaky360

Ok that's maybe different,

I was going to say they did use the word 'should' (be with you mid this week). However I think that's me being pedantic.

Did you say you'd phoned them earlier? That would be my next move in this case :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
However I think that's me being pedantic.
I don't think that's pedantic. "Should" to me is a possibility not a promise like "it will definitely be with you" or "we guarantee it will be dispatch by".

zubmuk

Ok that's maybe different,

I was going to say they did use the word 'should' (be with you mid this week). However I think that's me being pedantic.

Did you say you'd phoned them earlier? That would be my next move in this case :)

as its gone into testing today hopefully it will be with me soon if not then il give them a call no point rushing them iv waited for it for so long another couple of days wnt kill me

Stephen M

Author Level
I agree with Keynes, should in this case is an epistemic modal, ie one of possibility and not a deontic, ie one stating it will be with you. Whatever, I am glad the order finally seems to be on its way to Zubmuk.

PS: Just thought I would show you people who are into applied linguistics can be just, if not more, geeky than computer people :)

Rules

But you were never told you'd get it in less time... that's kinda my point :)

Yes I was

"Your order has so far been in processing for 5-6 working days. Because of the way our production facility works, sometimes orders can take 7-8 working days to enter the building and testing process, but please be assured that we aim to dispatch your order as soon as possible."

This email clearly led me to believe that a wait of longer than 8 working days before entering the build phase would not be expected. This is what I mean by over promising, I wouldn't particularly mind a longer wait, if I'd been told to expect one. All businesses should under promise and over deliver.

Edit, I feel a bit harsh here, I don't want to criticise pcs that much, it should still be a great machine at a great price relatively fast, I just want to make it clear what expectations are being set here.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I am sorry you have to wait so long but the email you indicate does not give any promise nor give an indication that a wait of more than 8 working days is not expected

steaky360

I stand by my previous statement, they did not promise to deliver. They outlined the expected current delivery times.

Now I'm not saying that if I received that email I wouldn't be kind of in the same mind set but I certainly wouldn't have said they had overpromised. That's just my opinion though :) I paid for fast-track on my most recent purchase and got it within a few days so I'm not going to complain!

Rules

I am sorry you have to wait so long but the email you indicate does not give any promise nor give an indication that a wait of more than 8 working days is not expected

Of course it does. I'm not talking legalise here, just setting expectations. If I emailed a customer telling them their order can take 8 working days to enter phase 2, then it's more than fair for them to query what's happening if it hasn't by the 9th working day, even if it's not guaranteed until the 30th working day.

VeeVee93

I posted in this forum a few days ago in regards to the same email saying along the lines of 'It usually takes 5-6 days to enter the building process but it may take 7-8 days in this case' I didn't take this as a promise but as an invitation that if my pc had not entered the building process by the 9th day I'm welcome to query it - I still believe they should have updated me as to why my order was taking longer than expected though.

We phoned on the 10th day with no answer so we were disappointed with that but we now know that not many people are there to respond to calls (3 I think we were told).

However we phoned again yesterday and did manage to get in touch; the person on the phone did state that there was no reason that my pc should still be in pre production as it was waiting on a part however that was sorted a few days prior, this didn't sound great to me, so he personally went to speak to the production team to basically get a move on with it and today it is in quality control which i'm over the moon with.

Obviously in every business things get missed or forgotten about now and again I understand that, however just a quick email to even let me know that they were waiting for a part would have been nice.

Anyway, rant over and I'm happy after speaking with someone from PCS and the problem being sorted so I would recommend to phone not email if your order is in pre-production longer than the stated estimation time and hopefully the issue will be sorted as quickly as it was for us - thanks go out to the person who helped us on the phone and solved the issue. I'm now eagerly awaiting my new pc! :D

andgib

My order is in its 6th day of processing today and I received a similar email this morning.

I have to say I'm in agreement that the wording of the email "sometimes orders can take around 7-8 working days to enter the building and testing process" does suggest that 8 days should be around the maximum expected time to enter the building process.

However the website information appears to suggest a longer time can be expected, with up to 6 days suggested for processing and a further week for pre-production. That's unless pre-production is classed as part of the build process?

I would make it clear that I'm not complaining here, simply pointing out my view on the email wording.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My order is in its 6th day of processing today and I received a similar email this morning.

I have to say I'm in agreement that the wording of the email "sometimes orders can take around 7-8 working days to enter the building and testing process" does suggest that 8 days should be around the maximum expected time to enter the building process.

However the website information appears to suggest a longer time can be expected, with up to 6 days suggested for processing and a further week for pre-production. That's unless pre-production is classed as part of the build process?

I would make it clear that I'm not complaining here, simply pointing out my view on the email wording.

I agree. The email or website does not guarantee a time when your order will be delivered, if you are expecting it to be delivered within those times or less then that is another matter. I had to wait around 23 working days for my first order and it was fine with me because I was not in a rush, for my 2nd order I just went with fast track. I am sure the wait is frustrating but it will be worth it :)

PaulB

The orders dispatched within timescales changed (which is normal I guess), and being in the 9th day of pre-production now, I'm starting to fear this won't arrive within my deadline of the 20th of February. Damn. Should've gone fasttrack.
Order number incase someone is interested: 641555.

OldmanQ

Im on Day 3 :)

but you got to give the guys a pcs a break is its like waiting for xmass for our presents so slow... the chart clearly show time %

..................% of Orders Dispatched Within Timescales Indicated
..................7 days. 14 days 21 days 28 days Average

Desktop PCs 24.2% 52.23% 92.99% 98.73% 13.22 days
Mini PCs...... 20%... 60% ........60%...... 90%... 16.20 days
Laptops...... 14.83% 17.22% 90.43% 98.56% 16.79 days

so Ill go for an average of 16.79 working days for mine..

Last edited:

Benny12317

I had also been in Pre-production for what seemed like ages (11 working days) and I was starting to get very worried about when my order was going to arrive. However, I gave them a call about an hour ago and sure enough it has just updated to 'In-Building'. So I would recommend doing this and see if you get the same result.

andgib

Out of interest, how long were your orders processing before going preproduction?

I'm on 7th day processing. Just wondering if it's like to be another 9 days or so processing once it switches.

PaulB

I'm on 7th day processing. Just wondering if it's like to be another 9 days or so processing once it switches.
I jumped from pre-production to awaiting dispatch in pretty much 24 hours. Pre-production took about 9 days, but then it went quite fast.

The one thing I don't like much is that the same guy did the testing and the QC. I work in a sector with a very low fault tolerance, and this wouldn't fly here. And in my opinion, it shouldn't be the case on a laptop build either.