Looking for opinions, suggestions and advice on my first PC Build *UPDATED*

DarTon

@EmWag1999. Whatever we argue for/against, you have to be happy with what you get.

I hesistate to say this (5 pages into the thread!) but if space is really at a premium and you don't feel any need for a large monitor, should you actually just be buying a new gaming laptop?

Say something with a 17" screen to give you some additional desktop real estate, 1440p resolution, with a fast refresh (165Hz). Personally, I don't like gaming laptops but many absolutely love them. It would save space, provide flexibility and it's not as though you can't attach a external monitor/keyboard etc to it at a later date.

Just a throwaway thought. Feel free to totally ignore.

EmWag1999

Bronze Level Poster
Thing is, I absolutely HATE laptops XD It's one of the main reasons im getting a PC XD It's not particularly slow, but I just always preferred computers, and now I'm not at college etc anymore, I can have one stationed :)
I think I'm gonna go for the 27 inch screen with the higher display..

Any no-brainer monitors youd suggest for a 27 inch 1440p setup with my spec?

I'd never ignore the advice though, I appreciate you putting ideas out there!
Also, thanks for reading through a whole 5 pages of thread XD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thing is, I absolutely HATE laptops XD It's one of the main reasons im getting a PC XD It's not particularly slow, but I just always preferred computers, and now I'm not at college etc anymore, I can have one stationed :)
I think I'm gonna go for the 27 inch screen with the higher display..

Any no-brainer monitors youd suggest for a 27 inch 1440p setup with my spec?

I'd never ignore the advice though, I appreciate you putting ideas out there!
Also, thanks for reading through a whole 5 pages of thread XD
What’s your max budget for the monitor?

MrWilson

Godlike
G5 has you covered then. Definitely worth checking Amazon on Monday-Tuesday to see if you can get it for a discount. But you should be able to find it for £300 online.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
G5 on Amazon at the moment

1623950830180.png

EmWag1999

Bronze Level Poster
thankyou guys, I will look them both up and deffo grab one of those. So I've got those monitors to choose between, and my spec of:
Case
COOLERMASTER SILENCIO S600 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Would you guys say I'm set with those? (I've got a keyboard, mouse, a webcam and speakers sorted out)

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Personally I doubt you need the USB card as you already have nine USB ports, but everything else looks great. (I'd spend the savings on an upgrade to an 850W power supply, but it's not the end of the world one way or another.)

EmWag1999

Bronze Level Poster
Personally I doubt you need the USB card as you already have nine USB ports, but everything else looks great. (I'd spend the savings on an upgrade to an 850W power supply, but it's not the end of the world one way or another.)
Hi, its telling me i only need a 650w,
i only chose one up so it was fully modular... Is there a benefit to having a bigger power source than that? I kind of didnt want to risk it blowing something up XD

EmWag1999

Bronze Level Poster
I wasnt too sure on how the usb ports worked, its the only part (apart from wifi) that im really not sure about. I dont really know what the options mean... Also, do pcs have wifi built in like laptops, do they need me to pick a certain option..?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi, its telling me i only need a 650w,
i only chose one up so it was fully modular... Is there a benefit to having a bigger power source than that? I kind of didnt want to risk it blowing something up XD
No, there's no downside to having a higher rated power supply. The components only ever draw what they need; the rating is just the maximum the unit can supply when the various components ask for it. Going higher on the power supply adds to its lifespan, makes it quieter, and gives you the possibility of future upgrades to more powerful graphics cards.

I wasnt too sure on how the usb ports worked, its the only part (apart from wifi) that im really not sure about. I dont really know what the options mean... Also, do pcs have wifi built in like laptops, do they need me to pick a certain option..?

The motherboard has loads of USB ports on the back and the case has more on the front. I don't think anyone actually needs the extra ports from the USB card.

Your build has a WiFi card already: that's all you need. You just need to connect the antennae when you unbox it.

DarTon

Broadly speaking you don't want to stress the PSU too much. It reduces it's lifespan, makes it louder etc. So you want to pick a PSU that has a comfortable margin over the typical peak loads. Say not going too much over 60-65%.

Your spec has a load of around 425W, mainly driven by the 65W from the CPU and 220W from the 3070, but also the DVD drive, SSDs etc. So 650W is ok but marginal. 750W would be comfortable. I bought a build with a 3070 and went for a 750W PSU.

Others on this board take the view that, given the difference in price between a 750W and 850W is low, that you might aswell pay the extra now and if you ever need to upgrade the GPU (say to something more like a 3080Ti which requires 350W), you will have enough spare capacity to do that neeeding to change the PSU or overloading the current one. It's a perfectly valid point but depends on the probability you assign to those upgrade scenarios.

EDIT: crossed with @sck451 while writing this.

Y
Thankyou for that :) will get to the shops when I'm not at work and see if I could learn to love the 27 inch monitors :')
If I was in your shoes reading this complete thread I would bite the bullet and go 1440p and invest in a mount there wonderful and very easy to setup im not diy savy in the slightest but it literally takes 30 mins and you will be exstremely happy with the results also when and if u move house u just remove your mount and setup in your 2nd home after you mounted your monitor it wont be long before your mounting your main tv be brave and believe that you can do it :)
Edit =im on holiday and have had way to many sitting in a caravan after way to many pitchers and this was typed out way to slowly.to be relevant my apologies !!!!

EmWag1999

Bronze Level Poster
No, there's no downside to having a higher rated power supply. The components only ever draw what they need; the rating is just the maximum the unit can supply when the various components ask for it. Going higher on the power supply adds to its lifespan, makes it quieter, and gives you the possibility of future upgrades to more powerful graphics cards.

The motherboard has loads of USB ports on the back and the case has more on the front. I don't think anyone actually needs the extra ports from the USB card.

Your build has a WiFi card already: that's all you need. You just need to connect the antennae when you unbox it.
So,
On the option for the USB ports, what do each of the options mean?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
They're expansion USB cards, to give you an extra two ports. I think your original configuration has nine ports; you can add two more with the extra card. The other option – far better in my book – is to go with the default option and, if necessary, use as USB hub if you need to attach more devices.

Unless you need to attach loads of high speed devices (like, say, ten USB SSDs) the USB card is unnecessary and a cheap hub is better.

EmWag1999

Bronze Level Poster
They're expansion USB cards, to give you an extra two ports. I think your original configuration has nine ports; you can add two more with the extra card. The other option – far better in my book – is to go with the default option and, if necessary, use as USB hub if you need to attach more devices.

Unless you need to attach loads of high speed devices (like, say, ten USB SSDs) the USB card is unnecessary and a cheap hub is better.
So do they act like extrernal usb hubs? Or are they inside the actual tower/ creating additional actual ports on the outside of the case..? I looked at the prices and there isnt really much difference but running out of ports is something I always worry about (not sure why tbh), and I havent had great experiences with hubs and am not sure how they work and if they lessen the transfer speed etc due to creating multiple ports from a single one if that makes any sense?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So do they act like extrernal usb hubs? Or are they inside the actual tower/ creating additional actual ports on the outside of the case..? I looked at the prices and there isnt really much difference but running out of ports is something I always worry about (not sure why tbh), and I havent had great experiences with hubs and am not sure how they work and if they lessen the transfer speed etc due to creating multiple ports from a single one if that makes any sense?
USB ports are on the motherboard, there are loads, you won't need any extra?