mass effect wont run.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I Installed mass effect from steam the other day,but can't get It to start.
I get the message "mass effect has stopped working"
Ive tried all the compatibility tweaks,but no joy.
I tried the steam forums,their solution Is to download no cd crack,which I'm reluctant to do.
Any other Ideas?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Have you tried removing it completely and DLing/installing again? Usually works for me when Steam games refuse to work after the normal fixes. Often its something rather insignificant, but hard to spot.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I did,thanks, DeD,but I'll give It another shot,unless some one has another suggestion.

LFFPicard

Godlike
Go to the properties of the game in the library and go to the local files tab.

Click on the verify integrity button and let it run.
I have had this a few times and steam has failed to download a file or something, verify will check this and download any missing or corrupt files.

Give that a try.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks LFFPicard,but no joy,
Think I might just forget It,only cost £2 .50 anyway.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
But its such a good game, I suggest getting a new rig to play said £2.50 game on! Def worth it (especially if 2 decides not work as well! You should totally get that by the way...but only after the first one is completed :) )

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
A new rig?right,I'll just ask the wife,she's sitting right next to me on my old computer.....
She said NO.

Fear

Prolific Poster
A new rig?right,I'll just ask the wife,she's sitting right next to me on my old computer.....
She said NO.

Whats this asking thing just say ooh look this wiill look really nice over there don't you think (just hide the price) ;)

Studentguyct

Bronze Level Poster
is your video card up to scratch to run mass effect? doesnt work for me cos i dont have the pixel shaders. try systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ . it'll tell you whether or not you can run it

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
is your video card up to scratch to run mass effect? doesnt work for me cos i dont have the pixel shaders. try systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ . it'll tell you whether or not you can run it

Thanks Studentguyct,but system requirements are not the problem.
I can run crysis on max settings no problem.my computer Is only about 6months old,so I didn't really ask the wife If I could get a new one:)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
In case it might help someone else, I found a solution to the problem,
turning off the User Account Control options fixed it.
I turn them back on again when finished.

LFFPicard

Godlike
How strange.

I spose the other option I could of suggested is make sure you run the game as Admin, might do the same as having UAC turned off. Should just be able to do it from the shortcut.

I have UAC turned off completley on my PC anyways I hate it with a passion and I am th eonly one who uses it so not worried.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I already tried running as administrator,as well as all the compatibility tweaks I could think of,to no avail.
Glad you mentioned you had UAC turned off as I was unsure if it was wise to keep it off or not.

LFFPicard

Godlike
If your more than novice with a PC just turn it off, it is a common sense thing, and I hate it popping up every time I try and do something!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I'll keep it off then.I jumped from xp to windows7,so never knew much about It.Thanks.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Really weird....i installed mass effect from Steam (Win64bit) and have uac set to on (dont ask me why lol) and it installed and loads up fine...just shows they dont play fair sometimes! If you need to get the free downloadable content if you bought it from steam then you will need an alternative steam cd key for it. Just go to ea live chat and talk to a rep and they will get you one...takes 5 mins. Unfortunately getting the content also requires you to join the bioware forums (let me know how that goes for you lol talk about jumping through hoops) which asked me for a password to register on when i had just set up my account and didnt even have the chance to create a password yet. Great work there....makes you wonder how they make such fantastic games, when they clearly need new web designers lol.