me again.

khughes

Hi.

After 2 weeks of having my PC back after its first RMA, its having exactly the same problems as before. Windows won't start, Startup repair does nothing. Memory diagnostics detects nothing. System restore won't work with a 0x8000ffff error. Feel like crying.

Assuming you all know the deal with my system. Help, please.

EDIT: Problem signatures.

Problem event name: StartupRepairOffline.
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200741
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 3
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033.

Last edited:

Maestro

Dont know the deal with your system. Youve started a new thread so you will have to post all the helpful stuff like spec, history etc.

khughes

Dont know the deal with your system. Youve started a new thread so you will have to post all the helpful stuff like spec, history etc.

Okay.

Here's the old thread. Had it RMA'ed last time. MisterDave sorted it out, the problem was a defective RAM and the motherboard was changed too. Now, exactly the same problem as last time.

Not to sound arsy, but I really, really don't want to go through the same route as last time (about 3 windows re-installations.) I lost my Autodesk license last time that way and had to take time off work to contact them to get a new one. The same excuse won't fly again.

EDIT:

System specs are as follows.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card 1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£100)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities Bigfoot Killer 2100 PCI-E Gigabit LAN Card - Max Performance Online Gaming (£69)
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, Lifetime Tech Support) (£5)

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Ouch its the Corsair RAM again, maybe consider phoning them up and asking if you can switch out for the Kingston RAM. Wouldnt be surprised if youre experiencing a similar issue I first had with my pc :)

Maestro

Yes it looks like the curse of the corsair ram has reared its ugly head. Call tech support tomorrow and they will be able to arrange to swap out the corsair for some uber stable kingston.
P.S Can you confirm visually that your system has corsair in. Just incase kingston was put in during the last rma.

Sleinous

Author Level
Very ugly head :( Shame because its equally good RAM, just no idea why ASUS havent tried to fix this issue with their 1366 chipsets :S

khughes

Okay. I will contact them tomorrow. (I didn't know that brand really mattered that much. If you don't mind me asking, why do PCS sell ram from a company as bad as Corsair? From what I'm hearing/experiencing, it really seems that they sell crap components.)

Question. Will I have to pay courier costs? It's going to be another RMA at the moment since it's inoperable, but for the sake of a switch, won't that turn the situation into a "optional" change? I really don't want to be smacked in the face with that. On a personal note, this month has been expensive enough for me.

EDIT: I think it's Corsair from peering through the panel, yes. I can't actually take the panel off at the moment because I can't find a screwdriver. If you guys would mind checking the RMA tomorrow just to confirm (10397) I'd be really grateful.

Last edited:

Maestro

If you check our website you will see that we dont sell Corsair anymore. However Corsair are still one of the biggest and most well thought of memory houses in the world. They also dont sell crap components, its just on the one socket (lg 1366) that there has been some compatibility issues that have occurred on ASUS motherboards. Not on all boards by any stretch. But some customers, like you have experienced this issue. But even issues affecting only a few customers is enough reason for us to change to a different brand. However I can say with absolute certainty, that given time, there will be an occasion when we find a compatibility issue with kingston. It is unfortunately the nature of ram and motherboards that means these issues will always occur.

khughes

Ah, I see. I didn't mean to sound a pillock over it. I just don't really know so much about building computers and that question popped into my head. I guess for you guys it has to be pretty harsh to get more of a workload in returns because of issues like that. On another note, if I can ask another question I'd be grateful. Upon the first time I had these problems, the computer arrived to me fine. About a week, to two weeks later (Maybe three.) this started.

Upon receiving the RMA it ran fine for a week to two weeks. Shut down normally last night, great stuff. No problems.. but now its happened again. Is it the nature of this issue for it to take a little while to happen? General ignorance talking, but I would think a compatibility issue is a compatibility issue. It shouldn't need a few weeks to happen, should it?

Maestro

memory problems do seem to have a habit of manifesting themselves overtime. If it was simpky a case of them not working correctly in the very first instance, these sorts of problems would be detected during the stress testing phase of qc. Any luck checking your memory make?

Maestro

then its very unlikely to be a memory problem and more likely to a software problem. Time to call tech support, and go through a repair / re-install. What are you doing on the pc software wise. Installling, downloading. Virus protection etc.

khughes

That's exactly what was said last time with the Corsair one. I'm getting exactly the same problem now, and last time through re-installing windows multiple times (according to PCS advice, each time I re-installed and it worked for a day or two before bluescreening at startup) I lost my Autodesk license. I had to phone them up and literally explain why I'd gone over the license activation limit. The same excuse will not fly this time. They explained to me that the license code they gave me is good for one more time. And that's been used after I thought my RMA'ed PC was now all right.

Programs installed on the PC are:
Avast free antivirus
Spybot search and destroy
Utorrent
Final fantasy XIV
Autodesk 3dsmax
Autodesk Maya
Autodesk Softimage
Autodesk motionbuilder
Autodesk Mudbox
Autodesk Sketchbook pro
Adobe Photoshop CS5.

Maestro

Now that the forum tennis is over, I will go back to my original suggestion which is unfortunately to re-install your pc. If you reply to my pm with a convenient time i will arrnage for a techy to call you tomorrow in order to try and get to the bottom of this. Please also remember that occasionally things do go wrong and more than once, but we have an excellent record on such occassions for sorting them out.