Monitor to computer connection

Camerashy

Silver Level Poster
My new pc should arrive in about a weeks time....ref 347003 and currently in the QC stage.
Could you tell me what type of connection I will need between the monitor and computer. At the moment I have parallel to parallel connection, so would this still be the same or would I need a USB connection.
Thanks
Dave

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean printer and computer? Older printer connections use parallel to parallel and modern printers use USB. Your motherboard will not have any parallel ports, just USB ports.

Monitor connections normally use VGA, DVI or HDMI.

Your graphics card (1GB GTX 460) will support dual DVI, HDMI and VGA :)

Meds

Hi Dave,

Your PC will come with 2 x DVI Ports and will look something like this;

89196_back.jpg

I have a feeling your monitor will have a VGA or D-Sub;

VGA_port.jpg

If your monitor has a DVI connection, I would get a DVI cable to connect the two. If not, then an adapter will be sent in the Welcome Pack to change one of the DVI Ports into a VGA port to allow you to connect to your monitor.

Sleinous

Author Level
if the 460 has mini HDMI, id recommend using the DVI port, as the mini hdmi doesnt seem to give the right colours or resolution when u use an hdmi to mini hdmi cable (no adapter), DVI is giving me outstanding clarity atm :D

Camerashy

Silver Level Poster
Appreciate your help, Guys, the connection from my monitor to computer is definately parallel to parallel.
Meds - thanks for the images as they say ''a picture is worth....'' My Dell monitor has 2 connections one I am using with a parallel connection and the other like the bottom image you posted (the blue one) so is this a VGA or D Sub connection and if I use this what type of conection do I need to ask for......is PC World the best place to get fixed up.
Sorry if these are basic questions
Dave

PS - Good win on Saturday

Last edited:

Zeplini

Hi camerashy the connection is VGA, pretty poor quality now a days, you will need a VGA cable and you should receive a DVI to VGA adaptor in your topbox ;)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Just so we can check - can you send us the model number of the monitor?

Camerashy

Silver Level Poster
Hi PCS...... its a Dell E228WFP Just found the set up instructions for it and it says '' connect the monitor using either the white DVI cable or the blue VGA cable'
hope this helps
Dave

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I'd never heard of a parallel port connecting to a monitor before...:)

It connects through DVI or VGA, so you can just plug in the DVI cable and away you go :)

Fej

Bronze Level Poster
I got the same question apart from, i got a Samsung syncmaster P2070 and ordered a ati 5850 ;)

Fej

Bronze Level Poster
Could you recommend me one of ebuyer? unless you could ship me with one and ill pay the difference :)

Meds

We sell DVI Cables, £5.00 each I think. If you call the Sales Team on 0844 499 4000 they will be able to sort this out for you.

Fej

Bronze Level Poster
Okay ill give them a ring :)

Yeeeah! I rang and one is being delivered with my pc ;)

Last edited: