**Mostly Not Solved** :-( 4fps

BT81

Enthusiast
Thanks! Downloading, will report back. :)
Cheers - Apologises for any grumpy tones in my message. Just wanna play gears ! looks soooo good when it works - I knew there would be a few teething problems. The fans and that light can wait for another day ;-)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You can park the Memtest for the moment, this looks like software. :)

In your dump the failing process was dwm.exe - the Windows Desktop Manager. Looking at the drivers in use by the executing thread two things leap out. The first is a problem in nvlddmkm.sys - the NVidia graphics driver...
Code:
ffffaf8a`8e471ca8  fffff801`3cdee489 Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_a51067c0ac557884\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
nvlddmkm+0x1be489

That may however be a symptom rather than the cause, because later in the drivers is a problem with atc.sys - that's a BitDefender driver...
Code:
ffffaf8a`8e475008  fffff801`377f1139 Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atc.sys, Win32 error 0n2
atc+0x181139

BitDefender is known to cause all sorts of silly issues, we've had loads of people on here with problems that were traced back to BitDefender. I would strongly suggest you uninstall it - and use their uninstall tool rather than Windows Programs & Features. Reboot if you're not required to by the uninstall and then see how things go. If it BSODs again upload the dumps and post back here.

Windows Defender is both free and all you need. :)

BT81

Enthusiast
You can park the Memtest for the moment, this looks like software. :)

In your dump the failing process was dwm.exe - the Windows Desktop Manager. Looking at the drivers in use by the executing thread two things leap out. The first is a problem in nvlddmkm.sys - the NVidia graphics driver...
Code:
ffffaf8a`8e471ca8  fffff801`3cdee489 Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_a51067c0ac557884\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
nvlddmkm+0x1be489
That may however be a symptom rather than the cause, because later in the drivers is a problem with atc.sys - that's a BitDefender driver...
Code:
ffffaf8a`8e475008  fffff801`377f1139 Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atc.sys, Win32 error 0n2
atc+0x181139

BitDefender is known to cause all sorts of silly issues, we've had loads of people on here with problems that were traced back to BitDefender. I would strongly suggest you uninstall it - and use their uninstall tool rather than Windows Programs & Features. Reboot if you're not required to by the uninstall and then see how things go. If it BSODs again upload the dumps and post back here. :)
Thank you - I have BitDefender on my Surface Book2, and never had a problem. So 'assumed' it would be on the PC ! Heyho - Lets give that a bash and see what happens :)

Thank you again!

BT81

Enthusiast
BitDefender uninstalled

and ....still, dropping? Not sure what is happening first, the box controller Bluetooth dropping out, or because the game goes from 60 to 4fps?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't know what else to suggest. You could try using the performance tab in Task Manager to look for resource over-utilisations.

Are these frame drops on just one game or on many?

BT81

Enthusiast
Give up. I know there would teething problems. But I was hopefully the PC would mostly work :-(

BT81

Enthusiast

BT81

Enthusiast
Download from here, uninstall the nvidia driver, then it will ask you to reboot.

Then DON'T install the latest driver, apparently there have been issues with it. Try the previous one from here:

So....couple of things!

1. Removed Bitdefender
2. Reinstalled Armoury Crate - I seem to remember it not fully downloading when I first booted up the machine on Frida (has a 'semi downloaded product been the cause?...)
3. Uninstalled and re-installed Thunder Master (Palit Dashboard)
4. Uninstalled graphic drivers using DDU*, and only downloaded the latest Nvidia driver to the 09-DEC-20

AND!!!!! IT 'appears to have worked!' 15minutes of Gears it is playing nicely at 60fps on ultra. And when booting up the machine, it's a lot quicker (there was a ping sound once the desktop appeared prior, that's disappeared..wondered)

HAPPY DAYS!

Now, I'm going to enjoy the PC over Christmas as planned, and in the new year figure out how to make the case fans silent when in study mode and turn off that light haha

Thank you mods, apologises for being grumpy!

BT81

Enthusiast
Spoke to soon....
WerFault.exe - Entry Point Not Found
Appears on start up and I can't 'ok' the error box and nothing will load up (programmes, setting, browers)
And the ping sound is back.... sad emoji

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Spoke to soon....
WerFault.exe - Entry Point Not Found
Appears on start up and I can't 'ok' the error box and nothing will load up (programmes, setting, browers)
And the ping sound is back.... sad emoji
Well that's interesting, werfault.exe is the Windows error reporting tool! It's not impossible the root cause is still BitDefender, anti-malware tools create hooks deep in the system and it's not that unusual to find they're not fully (or properly) uninstalled.

Much as you're not going to like it I think your quickest way to a stable system now will be a fully clean reinstall of Windows. I don't trust your system from what you're now describing.

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

Then you can reinstall your third party software and games. Go slowly and be sure it's all working fine at regular points. :)