My new beast rig

Mikulus

Hi all

Finally got round to ordering after weeks of searching. Don't think I have slacked on the hardware expenditure lol!!

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (£172)
Overclocked CPU
Over Clocked Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-980X (3.33GHz @ max 4.00GHz)

Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM)
12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 TRI-DDR3 2000MHz, X.M.P (3 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
3rd Graphics Card
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
240GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (up to 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
600GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR® SATA 6-Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 1200W MODULAR PSU (AX1200) PRO SERIES 80+ GOLD (£206)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT FREEZONE ELITE CPU SUB AMBIENT COOLING UNIT(£225)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series (£149)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£148)
Office Software
Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2010 (Incl Disc & 1 License for 3 devices
Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® G19 Gaming Keyboard with Gamepanel LCD Display (£135)

:D

Rakk

The Awesome
3 GTX480's wow, don't want to know what your electricity bill will be :)
That machine (as Gorman says) is a monster.

Will that PSU be enough for all those bits and pieces (I ask cos I don't know)?

Last edited:

Meds

Yeah, the AX1200 is beefy enough to cope with that spec no problem.

It is a beast, many people will be jealous of this one :p

Mikulus

yeah, I phoned up and check because I did notice that the 1500w had dropped off the list. They checked up on the specs and told me that the AX1200 would be more than adequate. However not sure how it would cope if ever I dropped more hardrives into the unit. Not sure if I ever want to push it so I will stick with my externals lol

Phalanx

Have to agree with SteveB, its a lovely piece of kit and you'll have of fun with it (personally never seen 3 cards in a machine before) but im so glad im not paying for it. :D

Sleinous

Author Level
SO glad im not paying for this either :p

Just a few things, make sure you're aware that if your case has more than 2 front USBs, only 2 will work as the ASUS R3 mobo only has one internal USB header. If you want all of them working plus space for a 52in1 card reader then youll need an NZXT IU01 expansion module.

Also, loving the 3 GPUs, although, as we all know, they'll be operating at near the same performance as 2x GTX 480s (lol) as the ASUS R3 will run the cards in x16/x8/x8 speed and nto x16/x16/x16 :p If you had 2, they would both run at x16/x16, and 4, would obviously be x8/x8/x8/x8 So in this instance more may not be better :p

Still, its a beast rig, end of.

Darko

whats the point for 3-Way SLI nowadays ? i guess 2 would be enough (its one of the best graphic card now):p i guess u are not planning for upgrades in the future:p

Sleinous

Author Level
^Thats what I meant basically, 3 is the same as 2 in today's motherboards as there isnt a TRUE 3way or 4 way SLI board yet. SO, when you but more than 2 cards they just divide the speed equally by 2 for 2 cards, meaning both cards work just half as hard.

Sleinous

Author Level
Vgood things* in general :) But this has been awhile now! ive been back from hols since ages! I guess u ordered a component thats not instock yet

greybing

blummin eck man,you have been waitng ages for you pc,i bet it will be worth the wait,...you have to make sure you dont bring down the national grid with yourew pc

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Mine took 7 weeks from order and arrives tomorrow morning, Do you hear me DHL, MORNING! so I feel your pain but it will be worth the wait for sure
It looks pretty damn awsome that rig

Shibin

Enthusiast
Dude for a spec as complicated and amazing as this they have got to take thier time,and the more complicated the setup the more prone for errors,so they probably testing very good.

Dont worry dude am sure its in good hands...

Sleinous

Author Level
Dude for a spec as complicated and amazing as this they have got to take thier time,and the more complicated the setup the more prone for errors,so they probably testing very good.

Dont worry dude am sure its in good hands...

Same, when it arrives, itll be well worth the wait :D