My New Beast

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
beast5.jpg

How do your two 3GB Palit GTX 580 rank at 7.9 and 7.9 on graphics and gaming graphics, yet mine only 7.8? :(

Also I dont get how my now standard clocked cpu 3.2GHz (while im trying to fix the pc) is getting the same 7.8 score that my overclocked 4.8GHz one was.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Ive had my 580's up to 76 and 69 respectivley,m surprisingly the game that gets them hottest is starcraft 2 ont he cutscenes, dont really know why, crysis 3 screen, f1 3 screen etc dont reach those temps.

Also I use a program called everest for recording logs of temps, useage, voltages etc, its really good. Makes a log entry every 5 seconds and stores them as either csv or html files.

Yeah I ran 3DMark11 and came in at about 3000 below average too lol, I think tbh its because we havent purchased it and so maybe only runs half the tests lol.

Reactions: mpv

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
use GPU-Z or HWMonitor to check the gpu temps.

580s are hot running power house gpus especially in SLI as it will be spilling heat in the case but the good cooling on the sniper case should help, its just the 1st 580 gpu where the second is sort of blocking the airflow of the 1st 580 an is quite natrual to see the 1st gpu to be hotter than the second. just have the fan controller max if your gaming in long hours lol :)

It might be because you aint overclocked it? but thats not needed with those specs you have. the specs you have will blast through anything you play.

Thanks for the info. HWMonitor only gives me SSD temps for some reason (at 128deg lol) but GPU-Z is working, shame no system tray temp icon.

Yeah one of the 580's is always hotter than the other and they are very very close. I noticed that although the mobo has 2x PCIx16 slots one of the 580's is in a PCIx8 slot, I assume this is something to do with SLi cable length or case space maybe ? NVidia CP is complaining that it should be moved into a PCIx16 slot ... I'll open up the case tomorrow maybe and see what room there is.

PC is chugging through everything nicely so far :)

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
How do your two 3GB Palit GTX 580 rank at 7.9 and 7.9 on graphics and gaming graphics, yet mine only 7.8? :(

Also I dont get how my now standard clocked cpu 3.2GHz (while im trying to fix the pc) is getting the same 7.8 score that my overclocked 4.8GHz one was.

Not sure on that .. could it be the mobo ?

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
Ive had my 580's up to 76 and 69 respectivley,m surprisingly the game that gets them hottest is starcraft 2 ont he cutscenes, dont really know why, crysis 3 screen, f1 3 screen etc dont reach those temps.

Also I use a program called everest for recording logs of temps, useage, voltages etc, its really good. Makes a log entry every 5 seconds and stores them as either csv or html files.

Yeah I ran 3DMark11 and came in at about 3000 below average too lol, I think tbh its because we havent purchased it and so maybe only runs half the tests lol.

Cool thanks, I'll check everest out.

The 3000 below average thing is a pain as it puts a seed of doubt in your mind making you think something is wrong :( It probably isn't though ...

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
As for the x8 slot, isnt it a x16 slot if used by itself otherwise the mobo works in x16/x8 with dual cards? I know mine runs at x16 single and x8/x8 dual. Not that it makes much difference anyway, few percent.

Teaz

Godlike

lol maybe its because its the most resourceful part of the game for it to be reaching bigger temps than during in game?

Are those log being recorded every 5 sec being stored on your ssd? if it is then it will certainly fill up a tad quick over time lol. you could perhaps switch the storage to your hdd drive.

Yeah one of the 580's is always hotter than the other and they are very very close. I noticed that although the mobo has 2x PCIx16 slots one of the 580's is in a PCIx8 slot, I assume this is something to do with SLi cable length or case space maybe ? NVidia CP is complaining that it should be moved into a PCIx16 slot ... I'll open up the case tomorrow maybe and see what room there is.

2? it should have 4. you are running on the ROG maximus IV extreme-z board unless you mean the black pcie slots? which are not 16x bandwidth, just the 4 long red slots. it should 8x/8x for your dual 580 setup, plus those 580 should really take full advantage of the 16x bandwidth so you should be in no probs.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
lol maybe its because its the most resourceful part of the game for it to be reaching bigger temps than during in game?

Are those log being recorded every 5 sec being stored on your ssd? if it is then it will certainly fill up a tad quick over time lol. you could perhaps switch the storage to your hdd drive.

2? it should have 4. you are running on the ROG maximus IV extreme-z board unless you mean the black pcie slots? which are not 16x bandwidth, just the 4 long red slots. it should 8x/8x for your dual 580 setup, plus those 580 should really take full advantage of the 16x bandwidth so you should be in no probs.

I thougyht that but look at his pics, I cant see room for 4 pci-e slots, not for dual width cards anyway. possibly single width watercooled cards.

Nope logs are being stored on my cavier black, and tbh even a years logs only mount to about 1GB lol.

Teaz

Godlike
I thougyht that but look at his pics, I cant see room for 4 pci-e slots, not for dual width cards anyway. possibly single width watercooled cards.

Nope logs are being stored on my cavier black, and tbh even a years logs only mount to about 1GB lol.

lol i meant his board standardly has 4 slots but only the last black pcie slot is usable as his 2 580 ate up the whole pcie slots leaving none usable apart from the 2 slots the 580s are slotted in.

well, every write life of an ssd is worth the extra lifespan of the ssd (especially an expensive ssd) :p

senaiboy

Nice rig! Another one of the snipers hehe .. (mine's a sniper as well). Can I ask something.. how do you put the swivel feet onto the bottom of the case? Mine has 4 round rubber feet already glued on and I can't seem to attach the swivel feet.

Teaz

Godlike
Nice rig! Another one of the snipers hehe .. (mine's a sniper as well). Can I ask something.. how do you put the swivel feet onto the bottom of the case? Mine has 4 round rubber feet already glued on and I can't seem to attach the swivel feet.

you pull them off, although it will take some effort as its stuck with some very strong double sided tape. you may have to somehow clean off that tape though so that no sticky residue is left behind once you apply the swivel feets. the feets are screwed in with the 4 screws supplied with the sniper case which should be in your welcome pack or the bag of spare screws in your welcome pack.

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
you pull them off, although it will take some effort as its stuck with some very strong double sided tape. you may have to somehow clean off that tape though so that no sticky residue is left behind once you apply the swivel feets. the feets are screwed in with the 4 screws supplied with the sniper case which should be in your welcome pack or the bag of spare screws in your welcome pack.

Yep, this. I used a flat bladed screwdriver to prise the sticky feet off.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I was in too much of a hurry to get it all set up that I forgot the feet and didnt fancy tipping it over once I had it all up and running...so my feet are still in the welcome pack :D

mpv

Bronze Level Poster

What's driving the question is this message in the nvidia control panel:

"For optimal 3D performance, plug the GeForce GTX580 (1) into a high performance PCIe slot. Refer to the motherboard manual for more information"

I was just checking that I have the optimum placement really, I assume it already is but messages like that always make me double-check ...

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
Had a bit of a play about with GTX locations to try and improve airflow and temps etc and while I lost a little tidy cabling I now have some airflow space in between the cards:

Pic 6

Unfortunately there wasn't a spare black blanking plate in the pack so I had to 'harvest' one from an old PC :( I moved some of the cables out of the way and do have better airflow heading towards the GTX's though now.

I assume the Sniper side fan is supposed to blow inwards ? (just thought I'd check)

The slightly good news (which I don't have a reason for) is that I re-ran (not overclocked yet) 3DMark11 and hit 10587 which is only a few hundred below where it seems to expect the config to be. *scratches head*

The potentially bad news (?) is that GTX temps hit 80 and 82 max (according to Real Temp 3.67) during the 3DMark11 run.

Any feedback on the above much appreciated :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I assume the Sniper side fan is supposed to blow inwards ? (just thought I'd check)

The potentially bad news (?) is that GTX temps hit 80 and 82 max (according to Real Temp 3.67) during the 3DMark11 run.

Any feedback on the above much appreciated :)

yes the side fan is a intake fan, i will try and post pics of my sniper.
The temps seem a little on the high side, but there is two 580's. you could try adding a extra 140mm at the bottom next to the psu.

Edit - after looking again at ya pics, i suggest ya get hold of some cable ties and try and get all the cables around the back of motherboard. take out the spare hot sawp drives your not using, ( the little clippy door thingys) might be slightly blocking airflow from the front fan. I took out the hot swap bay completely, and mounted my ssd's in a drive bay adapter. just to increase the airflow to my 580.
Will try and post a pic of it later to explain what i mean, if ya don't get me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpv

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
yes the side fan is a intake fan, i will try and post pics of my sniper.
The temps seem a little on the high side, but there is two 580's. you could try adding a extra 140mm at the bottom next to the psu.

Edit - after looking again at ya pics, i suggest ya get hold of some cable ties and try and get all the cables around the back of motherboard. take out the spare hot sawp drives your not using, ( the little clippy door thingys) might be slightly blocking airflow from the front fan. I took out the hot swap bay completely, and mounted my ssd's in a drive bay adapter. just to increase the airflow to my 580.
Will try and post a pic of it later to explain what i mean, if ya don't get me.

Thanks again Tom, pics would definitely be appreciated :) Any fan recommendations would also help, along with a link if possible to a suitable drive bay adapter.

Anyone (Frenchy ?) able to let me know what their SLI 580 GPU temps hit when running 3DMark11 ? I've got a feeling it's a particularly intense test designed to beat the wotsits out of any graphics config...

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Thanks again Tom, pics would definitely be appreciated :) Any fan recommendations would also help, along with a link if possible to a suitable drive bay adapter.

Anyone (Frenchy ?) able to let me know what their SLI 580 GPU temps hit when running 3DMark11 ? I've got a feeling it's a particularly intense test designed to beat the wotsits out of any graphics config...

Ive had my two 580's hotter than that, ive had mine to about 85 i think. well 85 and 79.

I do wonder if it would be better on things like the HAF-x to have the side fan as an exhaust so it sucks the hot air fof the cards? When I increase my GTX fans to like 90% they actually dont get any cooler, infact when at idle they actually get hotter, which Im assuming could be an airflow issue.

mpv

Bronze Level Poster
Ive had my two 580's hotter than that, ive had mine to about 85 i think. well 85 and 79.

I do wonder if it would be better on things like the HAF-x to have the side fan as an exhaust so it sucks the hot air fof the cards? When I increase my GTX fans to like 90% they actually dont get any cooler, infact when at idle they actually get hotter, which Im assuming could be an airflow issue.

Thanks for coming back so fast :) I was also wondering if the side fan would be better as an exhaust. I think the Sniper top fans are partially obscured by the water cooler so perhaps not enough hot air is getting out of the case ... although I've never really felt any hot air coming out of the case fans at all yet.

Are you controlling your GTX580 fans or are they just increasing under load ?

tom_gr7

Life Serving

I think you should keep it as a intake fan, my reasons are because the palit 580's have two little fans that will pull in air that the side fan throws at it, then the air I think is pushed out the back of the 580, so if the side fan was switched to exhaust then the gpu will have no air to pull in. Well that makes sense to me anyway. lol

I do only have one 580 so it is easier to keep cooling. will add link to the drive cage I used, was a coolermaster one, but its ugly, so I took the front off, and mounted It behind the mesh/dust filter under my dvd drive.

Here's the link for the drive cage I used,
http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=2542

I wanted one of these but couldn't get one in the Uk
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1257&ID=1483

Here's some others I found, But don't order from this site, as I ordered from them on Monday and they still have not dispatched it!