My new toy

Sweeney47

Now that it's in the pre-production stage I can start getting excited... was expecting a phone call from my bank asking if my card had been stolen :D. Took about 3-4 months of checking what was available and was wavering between PCS and Cyberpower Systems but at the end of the day this was the cheaper of the two. Anyway here's what I've ordered...

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE (£59)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£105)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Meds

Agree with Dave & Gorman, very nice spec. To be honest it is along the lines of what I would be looking to buy now if I had the spare cash :(

Suppose I'll just stick with my trusty Q6600 based PC!

steveuk87

Super Star
grats Sweeny, you wasnt tempted to go for 8GB of RAM? :( haha but awsome, enjoy when you get it mate!

Steve

Sweeney47

I have no use for 8GB of RAM ;)

My current system has 3GB(only recognises 2.75 :confused:) and I havn't had issues with it in any games so 6GB should do me for a while.

My mates PC died like 3 days ago so he's buying my current for £300 after I get this one. Needless to say he's happy as his now dead machine is the frankenstein of computers with god knows how many different body parts from different bodies glued on, amazing it lasted as long as it did...

misterdave

Enthusiast
My current system has 3GB(only recognises 2.75 )
Take it from that you have either XP or Vista 32bit??

Your system can theoretically support the full 4GB, but your hardware is going to allocate some of the address space (not the physical RAM) to the PCI bus, the video adapter memory address space, and other resources. 32-bit OSs need to use part of the full 4GB address space to address these resources, subtracting from the maximum memory you have available to the OS and applications:
The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCI-Express, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today's high performance graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory) addresses are allocated.
So, if your video adapter has 512MB of RAM, your maximum memory is going to at most be 3.5GB, because Vista has to use 512MB of that address space to address your video memory. It’ll actually be lower than the 3.5GB because there are other hardware resources that need address space, too. So, it never hurts to fill your computer with 4GB of RAM–you’ll definitely get the max, but you won’t be able to address it all. You probably won’t be able to address much more than 3GB, and you might not be able to address more than 2GB.

Hope this explains it for you.

Sweeney47

Thanks for the info, having discovered it was only registering 2.75GB I did look up the possible reasons for it. I originally understood that all 32 bit OS' can support up to 3.5 so when I saw 2.75 I was a little shocked. But as with all things like that, I always like to know whats happening and after a few searches I was enlightened :D

2.75GB was better than the original 2GB anyway, certain games were straining my 2GB. Currently using XP 32 Pro partly why I decided to get a brand new PC, having to buy windows 7 and upgrade other thing such as an extra GB or RAM, new graphics card for DirectX 11. May as well buy a new PC under full warranty :cool:

Sweeney47

It will be a week tomorrow since I ordered my PC and it's still on Pre-Production... is this normal or is there stock issues I havn't been told about?

steveuk87

Super Star
probs stock issues if its pre-production mate, ne worries just give them a call or e-mail. But don't worry they havnt forgot you!!

Steve

Sweeney47

I start my job on 2nd August so I kinda want it delivered before then otherwise ill struggle to have anyone home to accept the delivery, dont exactly want to go in on first day and ask to have the next day off :D

Meds

Hey,

When your order is in Pre Production, it is basically in a queue to be built - your order will be in this stage for a majority of its time here. Once it has been built it will then enter the Testing Stages followed by Quality Control - these stages generally take between 2 - 4 days in total. I have checked with our Production Manager regard stock, there has been a slight delay in obtaining stock of the Intel i7 CPUs however these are due in either today or very early next week.

In short, you have nothing to worry about and I expect your order to be delivered on time.

Meds

I start my job on 2nd August so I kinda want it delivered before then otherwise ill struggle to have anyone home to accept the delivery, dont exactly want to go in on first day and ask to have the next day off :D

If the worst happens and your order is not with you before this date we can change the delivery address to your work address if that would make things easier? Hopefully it wont need to come to that anyway!

Simo

Bronze Level Poster
It will be a week tomorrow since I ordered my PC and it's still on Pre-Production... is this normal or is there stock issues I havn't been told about?

I've had an email a few days ago saying the processor is out of stock also found in another thread the motherboard is also out of stock, the same spec as yours. My computer has been pre production since the day I ordered it (12th july) so guess its just a waiting game on the stock. Hope its sorted soon though starting to loose faith.

Last edited:

Sweeney47

I'm not sure it will be easier, I use trains to get to work, dont fancy dragging that around :D

Ill try organise something with brother if needs be.

steveuk87

Super Star
I've had an email a few days ago saying the processor is out of stock also found in another thread the motherboard is also out of stock, the same spec as yours. My computer has been pre production since the day I ordered it (6th july) so guess its just a waiting game on the stock. Hope its sorted soon though starting to loose faith.

dont loose faith, its not PCS fault, they are controlled by stock levels, and if everyone goes for a similar item then they run out extremely fast, remember that you are building a CUSTOM built pc so its not like it is already built to be picked up off a shelf!! :) it will be with you soon enough so keep in there, i promise you will be more than satisfied witht he results :)

Steve

Meds

I've had an email a few days ago saying the processor is out of stock also found in another thread the motherboard is also out of stock, the same spec as yours. My computer has been pre production since the day I ordered it (12th july) so guess its just a waiting game on the stock. Hope its sorted soon though starting to loose faith.

Hi Simo,

The good news is Motherboards arrived in stock on Wednesday so that is no longer an issue. However, you are in the same boat as Sweeney with the Intel i7 CPUs which are due in any time (see previous post).

In these circumstances, we will always complete the oldest orders first so yours will be towards the top of the queue.

We apologise for the delays but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!!