my order can't wait

bowwave59

buget £1700

COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-960 (3.20GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0 --- plenty of upgrade potential for graphics card/s

Memory (RAM) 6GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT TRI-DDR3 2000MHz (3 x 2GB) - sweet

Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX465 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11-- plenty of upgrade potential with the motheboard i got

2nd Graphics Card NONE

3rd Graphics Card NONE

1st Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk NONE

RAID (HDD 1 & 2) NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£89)

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE --- may fit cd re write if needed

Memory Card Reader NONE,,, think usb 3 will be fine be connecting to my digital slr camera

Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 1000W MODULAR PSU (HX1000) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£172) - plenty of zappers here, just watch the electric meter spin so fast

Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)-- every one be cool

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD), i have the option of fitting my own creative labs sound blaster champion x-fi fatility sound card

Network Facilities WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)-- mobile pc hmmm

USB Options 2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI EXPRESS CARD--- just let this pc tell me that this device can work faster

Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND,, who in there right mind uses a dial up modem

Floppy Disk Drive NONE --- out of date stuff, use a usb flash drive 16gb

Firewire & Video Editing 1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD -- got a HD cam corder

TV Card NONE --- use your tv

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79) this better not be a pile of poo

Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE-- got my own copy

Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE -- got my own + secrurity

Monitor NONE got my own 22 inch

2nd Monitor NONE -- use my 42 inch plasma screen

DVI Cable NONE

GeForce 3D Vision NONE

Keyboard & Mouse NONE ---- got wireless one

Mouse NONE --- got wired one,,, less twitchy

Speakers NONE -- got my sound blaster ones

Webcam NONE --- na

Headsets (VOIP) NONE -- got some noise canceling headphones

Surge Protection NONE --- the only surge i want is speed

Printer NONE --- got one, does the job

External Hard Drive NONE -- nope to slow

Home Installation NONE ---- D i Y

Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)--- better work or i'll fix it with big hammer

Data Recovery NONE ---- flash drive
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI) postman takes of with it and i'll do him

Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days-- please please hurry

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Not bad, only thing i'd change is the GFX card to a 460, you can only have 2 SLI but who needs 3 really? lol

I like the USB 3.0 comment btw haha

Phil

Silver Level Poster
nice spec, however you picked the same mobo & RAM as i did when i made my order & PCS phoned me up about a problem with the dominator RAM on asus mobo's, apparently its unstable & causes BSOD's.

they will more then likely contact you about it & sort it out if this is still the case :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great spec there, with good comments. :) The GTX465 is better than the GTX460, if only slightly, but the price is more or less the same, so it's worth choosing.

I don't anticipate any issues with your RAM, but if anything arises we'll contact you.

Sleinous

Author Level
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD), i have the option of fitting my own creative labs sound blaster champion x-fi fatility sound card

If you're planning to SLI then this WONT be possible. (WILL be possible xD didnt realise you could slot x1s into x16s, very very handy!)

Reason: When you have your PCI card in the PCI slot at the bottom of the ASUS R 3 you will be blocking up the PCIe x16 slot just above it (for anything like a GTX 465 that is dual thickness) which means above the PCI slot you can't put anything. Then below the PCI slot, (4th PCIe x16 slot) you cant put a dual width GTX 400 card as the PSu is just below.

OK, so that leaves you with slot 1 and 2.

Slot 1 is what I think PCS will be using for your GTX 465 (they did this for my GTX 470). Which leaves you slot 2, which is where I will be putting my 2nd GTX 470 one day.

Only problem is, in between PCIe x16 Slot 2 and PCIe x16 Slot 3, there is the PCIe x1 slot that you will want to use for your Audigy soundcard.

Now, here is where it all goes pear shaped. The same problem as with the PCI slot in between slots 3 PCIe x16 and slot 4 PCIe x16 will happen here, because as soon as you put your soundcard in between slots 2 and3, there will no longer be enough room for the 2nd GTX 400 series card to fit in slot 2.

Hope that all makes sense

@Kalisnoir, ASUS R3 mobo supports quad SLI, tri SLI, just they operate in x16/x8/x8 moe for tri, and x8/x8/x8/x8 in Quad. Dual SLI, obviously, x16/x16

EDIT:
USB Options 2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI EXPRESS CARD--- just let this pc tell me that this device can work faster

I see you also chose the USB 3.0 internal card, from what I remember that also uses the PCIe x1 slot, so, you wont be able to plug in your sound card anyway, unless its a PCIe x16 one which I very much doubt. (Although I did read somewhere about PCIe x16 to PCIe x1 adapters, and the possibility of slotting one into a PCIe x16 slot, though I wouldnt risk it myself xD)

Anyway, this also means that any SLI would be out of the window if my suspicions prove to be correct.

Other than that, loving the build :p near identical to mine!

Here is a pic of what i'm trying to say basically:

Notice the width of the GTX card, thats how much room itll take on yoru board, notice how there's no other slot with enough free room.
Also, if you really want that soundcard, consider ditching the USB 3.0 card, seeing as the ASUS Rampage 3 board has its own 2x USb 3.0 ports on teh back panel anyway.

ASUSR3space1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PCS

Pontington-Smythe

If you're planning to SLI then this WONT be possible.

Reason: When you have your PCI card in the PCI slot at the bottom of the ASUS R 3 you will be blocking up the PCIe x16 slot just above it (for anything like a GTX 465 that is dual thickness) which means above the PCI slot you can't put anything. Then below the PCI slot, (4th PCIe x16 slot) you cant put a dual width GTX 400 card as the PSu is just below.

OK, so that leaves you with slot 1 and 2.

Slot 1 is what I think PCS will be using for your GTX 465 (they did this for my GTX 470). Which leaves you slot 2, which is where I will be putting my 2nd GTX 470 one day.

Only problem is, in between PCIe x16 Slot 2 and PCIe x16 Slot 3, there is the PCIe x1 slot that you will want to use for your Audigy soundcard.

Now, here is where it all goes pear shaped. The same problem as with the PCI slot in between slots 3 PCIe x16 and slot 4 PCIe x16 will happen here, because as soon as you put your soundcard in between slots 2 and3, there will no longer be enough room for the 2nd GTX 400 series card to fit in slot 2.

Hope that all makes sense

@Kalisnoir, ASUS R3 mobo supports quad SLI, tri SLI, just they operate in x16/x8/x8 moe for tri, and x8/x8/x8/x8 in Quad. Dual SLI, obviously, x16/x16

EDIT:

I see you also chose the USB 3.0 internal card, from what I remember that also uses the PCIe x1 slot, so, you wont be able to plug in your sound card anyway, unless its a PCIe x16 one which I very much doubt. (Although I did read somewhere about PCIe x16 to PCIe x1 adapters, and the possibility of slotting one into a PCIe x16 slot, though I wouldnt risk it myself xD)

Anyway, this also means that any SLI would be out of the window if my suspicions prove to be correct.

Other than that, loving the build :p near identical to mine!

Here is a pic of what i'm trying to say basically:

Notice the width of the GTX card, thats how much room itll take on yoru board, notice how there's no other slot with enough free room.
Also, if you really want that soundcard, consider ditching the USB 3.0 card, seeing as the ASUS Rampage 3 board has its own 2x USb 3.0 ports on teh back panel anyway.

ASUSR3space1.png

Hi These are my specs for new build on order what is being fitted that i am not having as mine is is in SLI or can't i see the wood for the trees.

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (£149)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-980X (3.33GHz) 6.4GTs/12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM)
12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, INTEL X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
3rd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
160GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR | 100MB/sW)***SPECIAL***
2nd Hard Disk
600GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR® SATA 6-Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
RAID (HDD 1 & 2)
NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM (£40)
Memory Card Reader
NONE
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 1000W MODULAR PSU (HX1000) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£172)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series (£102)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
4 PORT USB 2.0 INTERNAL PCI CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£108)
Anti-Virus

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Almost perfect sleinous! However, the x1, x4 and x8 PCIe cards can fit into x16 slots, so if you were to go down the SLi route you could add the wireless card to the PCI slot, USB 3.0 card to the bottom PCIe x16 slot and be able to fit your sound blaster champion x-fi fatility too, as this uses a PCI-e slot :)

Sleinous

Author Level
Yours is absolutely fine, I see you are using Ethernet, I also see you are going to put the 4 port USB 2.0 in there. The ASUS Rampage 3 comes witha 2 port, backplate, that plugs into your internal USB header, but, the 52in1 card reader would take that slot (although I see you have none) also the front HAF USBs take 1 header each. So what I think PCS will do here, is, plug one of the headers in, that is all that can be done. Unless you purchase this:

http://techgage.com/news/nzxt_releases_iu01_internal_usb_expansion_module (it can be bought in the UK, i did find a website that sold it, cant remember where but I must have invoice somewhere.)

Anyway moving on... yoru GTX 480s will be in slots 1 and 2, one above the other, slot 3 will be free and not usable as you will have the PCI USb 2.0 card just below it. (You couuld add any pcie x16 device that is ofcourse only 1 slot thick).

the bottom slot 4 also, unusable unless you have devices that are 1 thickness.

Last but not least, you will nto be able to make use of the PCIe x1 slot as your 2nd GTX 480 will be covering it.

Hope that makes sense :)

Sleinous

Author Level
Almost perfect sleinous! However, the x1, x4 and x8 PCIe cards can fit into x16 slots, so if you were to go down the SLi route you could add the wireless card to the PCI slot, USB 3.0 card to the bottom PCIe x16 slot and be able to fit your sound blaster champion x-fi fatility too, as this uses a PCI-e slot :)

Thankyou so much :D that is incredibly useful to know, as I was looking into difference pcie x1 devices that I needed, but wasn;t sure what i'd be able to do asI need slot 2 for my 2nd GTX 470. :D

So what do we do, do we plug a x1 device into like the left hand portion of the x16? the side nearest the outer face of the case?

Last edited:

bowwave59

Thanks for the replies, as motherboard got 7:1 sound on board , i think this will have to do, so not to fussed over my champion sound blaster card. Iam more concerned with the comment on the memory working with the mother board.
Also, I have not opted for memory cooler , so will this memory 2000mhz tri channel DDR 3 stay cool enough with what ever case fans the gaming case has?

Gorman

Author Level
Also, I have not opted for memory cooler , so will this memory 2000mhz tri channel DDR 3 stay cool enough with what ever case fans the gaming case has?

Memory will never overheat if you have good air flow in the case and are not overclocking it.