My shiny new computer is dead.

khughes

Hi all.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems with my new comp. I can't get windows 7 to start - and it instant bluescreens before going to a black screen with startup repair options. Startup repair can't solve whatever it is which is causing this issue - and restarts and then the same cycle starts over again. I can't enter safe mode either.

Honestly, I haven't had the thing long enough to have shanked it. From googling the problem signatures, most people with this issue seem to have a graphics problem, but I just thought i would list my results here so folk with more going on up there than I (...I don't have a clue.) could tell me what they think. I haven't installed anything on the thing since 3dsmax, about 2 weeks ago. The problems only just started today.

Thanks in advance for any musings. I mean - a driver problem seems to be the problem, but I haven't installed anything recently. Just 3dsmax two weeks ago, and it's been in use practically every day with no problems whatsoever. I don't get it.

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200781
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 4
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Thats very odd, windows update hasnt installed a new driver has it?

Have you tried reinstalling the graphics card driver?

khughes

Hi Gorman, thanks so much for responding. From attempting to use system restore to put my system back to how it was when I installed 3dsmax, I can safely say I haven't had any windows updates since before then. I've gone back as far as I can to literally the day I got the computer and the restore point created then - and the system restore completes it's task without any problems, restarts the computer...

... and the same issue occurs.

Truth be told, I wouldn't know how to reinstall the graphics driver if I tried. (I have the discs, though. I'm unsure if it would even let me, to be honest.

Gorman

Author Level
ok, have you tried booting into safe mode?

Turn on the machine, after the initial post screen where the motherboard logo shows up hammer f8 until you get some startup options and select safe mode.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
BSOD's have an error code at the beginning or near the end of the writing, can you list it?

It'l look abit like "STOP: 000000000x50" (This is just an example)

khughes

Sadly, I can't. I've tried it, and from what I've read of other people experiencing this problem that run windows 7- they can't get onto safe mode either. Definitely the weirdest problem I've ever had. (and I'm so sorry for rebuking all your suggestions. I'm not trying to be awkward, it's just the way it is. Half of me feels like crying, the other laughing. Bitterly.)

khughes

BSOD's have an error code at the beginning or near the end of the writing, can you list it?

It'l look abit like "STOP: 000000000x50" (This is just an example)

I wish I could, but the bluescreen runs by so fast on the motherboard's logo it's literally split second.

Gorman

Author Level
ok, your fast taking away our options here. If you hit del on post can you get into BIOS?

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Have you plugged in any new hardware? this can include ANYTHING, from a keyboard to a usb expansion.

khughes

I'm sorry, I can't.
The only thing of what could be use I can get into is the command panel, that's after startup repair tells me it can't work out what's going on.

khughes

Have you plugged in any new hardware? this can include ANYTHING, from a keyboard to a usb expansion.

Absolutely nothing. To be safe, I unplugged everything apart from my keyboard and mouse (which has been used since day 1) before attempting again- and the problem still continues. Then I tried a different KB and mouse.

Gorman

Author Level
it reboots even if you just hit delete on power on to get into bios?

Ok then you need to call us tomorrow

khughes

Okay then. Tomorrow, I'm at work until 8:00 - 5:30 and the same is happening till saturday, so assuming you'll need me to be at the computer as I'm speaking to you, I'm afraid the soonest I can call you is then. Is that alright?

Another thing: I recall seeing a screen when I used the computer yesterday saying "Overclocking failed." I assumed it was something over nothing, because I think I've read in the documentation that came with the computer that if that screen comes up its nothing to worry about.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
"Overclocking failed" is a standard motherboard message - nothing to worry about.

Have you tried inserting the Windows CD and trying to re-install Windows? It sounds like a driver problem and a re-installation should fix this. Instructions on how to re-install Windows are included in your Welcome booklet.

Sleinous

Author Level
Either Windows corrupted itself, god only knows how. Or, a core component in your PC has died/is on the verge of dieing. If your pc is new and you dont have too much on it right now (or indeed if you have another blank HDD to use) you could try installing a new install of Windows and booting off this drive/install.

khughes

Reinstalled Windows last night. Lost Autodesk as expected, but PC wise everything was fine. Reinstalled the drivers and restarted after every one with no problem whatsoever. I attempt to activate windows today and the same error occurs. The bluescreen let me read it this time though; here's what it said.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

STOP: 0X0000004E (0X0000000000000007, 0X00000000001282B7, 0X0000000000128337, 0X0000000000000000)

The only things I have installed are what was included on the drivers CDs. Nothing else.
I'm pig sick, in short. Getting really, really frustrated. Interestingly, this time the computer let me boot windows normally (after the system restore message and a restart following the bluescreen)- but this is somewhat disconcerting. I need this computer desperately for a course I'm on, getting worried as all hell about being able to make my exams at this rate. The computer is only three weeks old, and for the £1510 for it I don't expect to have problems like this.

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
most of those will already have been updated, especially graphics drivers and mobo/chipset. Best to call in, but a checlk on ati/nvidia website will give you latest driver

Gorman

Author Level
The computer is only three weeks old, and for the £1510 for it I don't expect to have problems like this.

Hi Khughes,

Sorry to hear the reinstall didnt solve the issue.

This forum is not an official channel for support nor the most effective way to get the issue resolved. I would suggest giving our helpdesk a call or if that is not possible mailing our support team using the website email system. This can be acessed by logging into the main site.