New build with Corsair 6500X case

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wasn't sure where to post this, as it's for information only rather than spec check.

Well, I've decided to 'donate' my current build (minus GPU & storage) to one of the younger members of the family whose school-work (and 720p gaming) PC has bitten the dust (something dual-core from about 2010).

We could have picked up something from Dell refurb, but his parents were planning on getting something better anyway as they know he wants to do more gaming. I'll provide my old build minus GPU & storage, and his parents will decide how much they want to pay for a GPU/monitor...although if my current contract doesn't get renewed by the end of the month, then there's a 1440p 144Hz 27" LG monitor they can have.

So, I'm going with a new build using the 6500X case, and will swap over my 4090 and 4 m.2s (2 from the motherboard and 2 from the Hyper-X card).

Was also considering one of the new 'hidden' cabling motherboards, but there's not a lot of choice at the moment, and I don't want to be 'bleeding edge', and PCS don't offer them yet.

It's going to be:
  • Corsair 6500X in black, with satin silver trim
  • 7800x3D
  • 32GB RAM
  • 512GB P44 for swapping into old build (family member already has a single 1TB SATA SSD with OS/games on already)
  • H150i iLink AIO (for aesthetics) - although in theory a H170i will fit with some fiddling, but PCS don't offer it and probably wouldn't risk it fitting
  • 4 x QX120 iLink fan kit for the back & side
  • 3 x QX140 iLink fans for the bottom (officially supported size)
  • HX1200i iLink (was looking at the Shift versions, but the cabling orientation may be sub-optimal for this case)
Should fill out the 6500X nicely, and all the fans on low-duty cycles / zero-RPM mode will keep it nice and quiet...and be good for the next 10 years of upgrades (the iCUE 220T case is really crammed full at the moment).

6500_SERIES_ELITE_PANELS_KIT_SATIN_GRAY_12.webp.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wasn't sure where to post this, as it's for information only rather than spec check.

Well, I've decided to 'donate' my current build (minus GPU & storage) to one of the younger members of the family whose school-work (and 720p gaming) PC has bitten the dust (something dual-core from about 2010).

We could have picked up something from Dell refurb, but his parents were planning on getting something better anyway as they know he wants to do more gaming. I'll provide my old build minus GPU & storage, and his parents will decide how much they want to pay for a GPU/monitor...although if my current contract doesn't get renewed by the end of the month, then there's a 1440p 144Hz 27" LG monitor they can have.

So, I'm going with a new build using the 6500X case, and will swap over my 4090 and 4 m.2s (2 from the motherboard and 2 from the Hyper-X card).

Was also considering one of the new 'hidden' cabling motherboards, but there's not a lot of choice at the moment, and I don't want to be 'bleeding edge', and PCS don't offer them yet.

It's going to be:
  • 7800x3D
  • 32GB RAM
  • 512GB P44 for swapping into old build (family member already has a single 1TB SATA SSD with OS/games on already)
  • H150i iLink AIO (for aesthetics) - although in theory a H170i will fit with some fiddling, but PCS don't offer it and probably wouldn't risk it fitting
  • HX1200i iLink (was looking at the Shift versions, but the cabling orientation may be sub-optimal for this case)
Should fill out the 6500X nicely, and all the fans on low-duty cycles / zero-RPM mode will keep it nice and quiet...and be good for the next 10 years of upgrades (the iCUE 220T case is really crammed full at the moment).

View attachment 40436
I love that case, they've done a really good job with it, think it's one of the nicest dual compartment cases to date.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It’s not entirely clear even on corsairs site as they seem to list 2 HX1200i units, one which is ATX3 and one which is ATX2.4

I would give PCS a call just to be sure. If it’s not, I think their HX1500i unit is ATX3
I have, and they said they weren't sure and would get back to me - which is fine as long as it's before it goes into building (case has already been delivered to them).

I also suggested they consider putting more technical/specification info into their configurators for RAM (timings) and PSU (cable type, ATX, PCIe, iCue, etc.).

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, no answer as to which version of the HXi range PCS supply.

But it's a moot point I've been called up and told the HX1200i has gone out of stock with no ETA, so I'd have to go for the RX Shift 1200w or the HX1500i.

Luckily they had the Corsair SKU number to hand for the HX1500i and it does match the newer ATX3/PCIE5/iCUE version - for only £13 more (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

But it's a moot point I've been called up and told the HX1200i has gone out of stock with no ETA, so I'd have to go for the RX Shift 1200w or the HX1500i.

Luckily they had the Corsair SKU number to hand for the HX1500i and it does match the newer ATX3/PCIE5/iCUE version - for only £13 more (y)
The HX1500i is a monster unit, it's really nicely done. For that price it's a bit of a winner I'd say.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

Moo* ;)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
For that price difference I think I would have had the 1500 all day long. My only concern would be falling below the threshold for being efficient :LOL:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
For that price difference I think I would have had the 1500 all day long. My only concern would be falling below the threshold for being efficient :LOL:
I'm sure a 7800x3D, 4 M.2s onboard, a 4TB SATA HDD, RTX4090, 4xQX120, 3xQX140 and a H150i will draw enough to be right in the sweet spot (i.e. anywhere from 20%-90%)...and be very quiet doing so...and leave room for another RTX4090 if SLI ever comes back ;)

2024-03-13_19-08-31.jpeg

Although I think the PCS configurator said the build required c.800W and to go for a 1000W PSU as minimum.
2024-03-13_19-14-11.jpeg

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just realised all my crap is in the wrong thread...should have been putting all this under my build thread.

Could someone move it over to this thread if appropriate?

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

It's going to be:
  • 7800x3D
  • 32GB RAM

View attachment 40436

stupid sexy case

z - Copy - Copy.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Will do...but I don't recall getting one for my last build. Is this a new feature?
Yeah, they started it last summer

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Whilst watching reviews of the case, I noticed that there's a small cut-out below the PSU cut-out that is supposedly for future iCUE Link / iLink external devices.

Maybe this will be to connect to external ARGB devices/panels that I can put on the wall - and maybe connect directly to the nanoleaf ones, as I've fancied putting a few of those on my wall..something along these lines...

cfla76xmt28b1.jpg

ykls75xmt28b1.jpg

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sneak peek...

Now wondering whether I should have had PCS install just 3 x QX120mm side fans and put another QX140mm fan at the rear to fill some air gaps ;)

Didn't specifically want a white motherboard, but the Strix version wasn't available in black and I wanted the 2nd PCIEx16 slot far enough below the GPU slot so that an add-in card (Hyper-X orThunderbolt) wouldn't hinder airflow too much. I originally though the TUF version (X670 or B650) would suffice, but the TUF X670 loses one m.2 slot, and the TUF B650 loses one m.2 slot AND has the 2nd PCIEx16 slot too close to the GPU slot. The bottom slot on my current X570 motherboard doesn't allow RAID/bifurcation, so I can use that with the Hyper-X card.

Plus, once it's all glowy, the white motherboard may reflect the lighting better than the black one.

Last edited: