New computer

Hi, i have this idea for a pc i want to get however im not sure if this would be good:

I want a dual display and i would like to get 2 22" monitors and for one to be a touch screen. I have never had a dual display so when it appears, is it just like an extension of a single monitor, so say if you moved the mouse far enough, it would move onto the next screen. Also does an Nvidia1280mb Geforce GTx470 work with two monitors, is a touch screen monitor a good idea for the first monitor? and say if you were to have a combination of touch and non touch would you be able to use the touch as a non touch just like a normal monitor?

does the iiyama 22" touch screen i have selected have a hdmi and/or Dvi port? also if i wanted to use the monitor with my ps3 aswell, would i just be able to unplug the monitor cable, some of this stuff i have an idea about but i want to make sure. also i went for an overclocked processor as i like having lot's of programmes open at once and i do stuff like video rendering and that. anyway do i have to pay more for a better cooling system if the processor was overclocked to the max stated which was 3.8Ghz?

thanks for your help, here is my current quote below:

two last things :S

does the motherboard make a huge difference to the computers performance?
and i understand the rules of binary and that but what benefit is there of a 64bit over a 32bit and vice versa, my main interest is the speed of the pc and the graphics. i would love a dual display though :p
Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Overclocked CPU OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 640GB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD6400AARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 1000W PRO SERIES (HX1000) 80+ MODULAR PSU (£169)
Processor Cooling TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Firewire & Video Editing NONE
TV Card NONE
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor IIYAMA T2250MTS 22" LCD MULTI TOUCHSCREEN, HD 1920x1080 (£209)
2nd Monitor IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£139)
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables NONE
Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Home Installation NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days
Quantity 1

Craig

Silver Level Poster
change the warranty - £5 more for a year collect and return, worth it.

it looks pretty good computer - but im not sure about the touchscreen , it should work though.

Gorman

Author Level
Hi, i have this idea for a pc i want to get however im not sure if this would be good:

I want a dual display and i would like to get 2 22" monitors and for one to be a touch screen. I have never had a dual display so when it appears, is it just like an extension of a single monitor, so say if you moved the mouse far enough, it would move onto the next screen. Also does an Nvidia1280mb Geforce GTx470 work with two monitors, is a touch screen monitor a good idea for the first monitor? and say if you were to have a combination of touch and non touch would you be able to use the touch as a non touch just like a normal monitor?

does the iiyama 22" touch screen i have selected have a hdmi and/or Dvi port? also if i wanted to use the monitor with my ps3 aswell, would i just be able to unplug the monitor cable, some of this stuff i have an idea about but i want to make sure. also i went for an overclocked processor as i like having lot's of programmes open at once and i do stuff like video rendering and that. anyway do i have to pay more for a better cooling system if the processor was overclocked to the max stated which was 3.8Ghz?

and i understand the rules of binary and that but what benefit is there of a 64bit over a 32bit and vice versa, my main interest is the speed of the pc and the graphics. i would love a dual display though :p
Overclocked CPU OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
Graphics Card 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 640GB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD6400AARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 1000W PRO SERIES (HX1000) 80+ MODULAR PSU (£169)
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
TV Card NONE
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Home Installation NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Data Recovery NONE
Quantity 1

Wow, ok. Here goes.

Yes you can either duplicate the same screen onto both monitors or extend your desktop to fill both.

The 470 will be fine with two monitors.

If you want a touch screen then which way to set them up is entirely subjective, personally, i would want the touch right in front of me. So i could touch it.

Yes the touch would be able to act as a simple display.

Yes, Connections DVI, VGA, USB.

It should work on your PS3 as a display, not a touch input device by plugging the PS3 HDMI into it, if the PS3 has HDMI.

Selecting an overclocked machine will limit you to suitable coolers, so you will be ok with whatever it offers. You dont need to overclock that CPU to do lots at once and i would not bother with that.

Yes the motherboard is an important factor and the one you have gone for is good.

Win x64 is the only option for modern gaming etc, 32 bit wont last much longer. x64 means more ram and faster programs.

Consider this spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£88)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor
IIYAMA T2250MTS 22" LCD MULTI TOUCHSCREEN, HD 1920x1080 (£209)
2nd Monitor
IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£139)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,416.00 including VAT and delivery.

Sleinous

Author Level

2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
TV Card NONE
Keyboard & Mouse NONE
Mouse NONE
Speakers NONE
Webcam NONE
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Home Installation NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Quantity 1

I believe the Iiyama has DVI and HDMI, id leave teh HDMI free for your ps3, AND USE dvi FOR YOUR COMPUTER ( PREFER dvi FOR MONITORS FOR OSME REASON :p)

tITAN fENRIR FOR AN OC'D I7 950.

I believe you can have one non touch and one touch screen.

Yes the mouse just moves between the 2 screens.

Motherboard is important in terms of expandability and bandwidth between the different PCIe x16 lanes (and whethe rthey support SLI or Xfire or both or none).

GTX 470 is an excellent GPU for this (I own one).

I'd get a 1000W HX PSU so you can add a second GTX 470 later on in SLI :) (Which is what youve done).

This is an ideal spec tbh, good choice on the 64mb cached drive.

Yes, £5 for silver warranty is worth it.

Thanks for the help guys!

yeh i would have one touch screen one in front of me and the other to the right of it.

@Gorman: thanks for making that spec, btw, what is the actual difference between an OC'd Cpu and a normal?
would an OC'd Cpu speed up the programs, for example a video would render faster, files save faster, system boots up quicker.

Also is there any way to speed up the boot speed other then getting rid of all those start up processes?

i am really appreciating all this help :)

Have a nice day!
Michael.

Sleinous

Author Level
video render faster - yes (conversion) files save faster no, HDD is the slow part of this machine, followed by BIOS. System boots up quicker, yes and no, again mainly limited by HDD access time, this can be decreased to as little as possibly by getting a 32 or 64mb cached drive but it wont get you anywhere near as close as SSD bootup speeds.

No other way im afraid, BIOS is slow as, UEFI will be available on boards soonish, its a completely new interface etc (cant remember how much qiucker but it IS quick)

Gorman

Author Level
@Gorman: thanks for making that spec, btw, what is the actual difference between an OC'd Cpu and a normal?
would an OC'd Cpu speed up the programs, for example a video would render faster, files save faster, system boots up quicker.

Overclocking started out as a hobby for enthusiasts who want to either get a lot out of old or cheap parts or they are going for some sort of benchmark title.

Generally speaking it is simply pushing the CPU faster than it was designed for, so anything CPU intensive would be sped up somewhat. As boot time is generally down to your hard drive it wont make much difference there.

I would not really recommend overclocking for a general use machine, start off with the best CPU budget allows and overclock it when its becoming obsolete is what i usually do.

Unless im benchmarking for geek points, then i will overclock and reset once im done.

ok thanks, so is the SSD a raid card? could i modify the spec on this website to allow a faster boot speed, if so what would i need to do. i also changed it to select a 1Tb 64mb cache hard drive. thanks for all the help, i just really want to make sure im getting a good spec for my money :)