New desktop GPU

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I've never had a problem, my current one has been solid, as long as you get a decent brand and you don't do anything silly you shouldn't have a problem.

T

TheGeeza

Yeah, thought I may as well get a 750w PSU since it's only a few more more pounds. Would it be possible to buy the R9 290 and run it on my 500w PSU for the time being and then upgrade the PSU the month after? Or would it not work at all or spontaneously combust? :p I have no clue what would happen if I ran it on a lower power so any advice would be helpful :)

I know a few people who have managed to run their 290s on a 500 watt but I guess it relies on the quality of the PSU .
Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I know a few people who have managed to run their 290s on a 500 watt but I guess it relies on the quality of the PSU .
Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

What would happen if you tried to do it on a high end system with a 500w PSU?
When you start playing the game your card would most likely stop displaying an image and would "reboot" if you will. That or your machine might just cut power and restart. It would normally only do this after you start up a game or start doing something intensive because that is when the card pulls the most power.

So it wouldn't damage the system at all? If it doesn't then I may buy the card at the end of the month and then the PSU the next month :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Your system looks fairly high power that is the problem, you may need to take steps to reduce the power usage before it would work well in a 500w PSU. Also it may well damage the card although modern cards are well designed to combat things like this.

T

TheGeeza

So it wouldn't damage the system at all? If it doesn't then I may buy the card at the end of the month and then the PSU the next month :)
Yeah I agree with vanthus here. Upgrade the PSU first.
It may be the more boring component to upgrade but better safe than sorry eh?

Just had a look around online. Apparently the 290 (under load) draws as much power as a 480. So yeah... Get the PSU first mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
If it could cause damage then I definitely won't risk it. I'll be patient and wait another month :)

I'll probably just buy them both at the same time, no point buying the PSU when I won't need it for another month. Probably going to upgrade my CPU as well over the summer holidays. My work have offered me a load of overtime which means new computer parts :p